It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting to Sleep - What Do You Use?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
As I type on the laptop in bed, I wonder about this. What does everyone use to help them sleep?

Personally I just try to give myself some time to unwind before bed, maybe read if I have the chance and then I listen to relaxing music (like zen stuff, I guess similar to meditation music) or recordings of rainfall.

I imagine this is probably tame compared to what some people on ATS/BTS do to get to sleep though! People on these boards come up with things I wouldn't even think of. =P

How about you? What works for you?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I do the same as you. I read before I sleep, and listen to relaxing music.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Typically I take some Benadryl for itching about 1/2 hours before nightime. A side effect is that it makes me sleepy. I also dig out some books to read before I goto sleep. The deeper the reading the better. I have a old book on anthropolgy. Works every time.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Valerian Root works well. It's the base ingredient for valium and can be bought over the counter. If you not into herbal pills, I would suggest a glass of wine and a good home-cooked meal over some relaxing music.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
One big problem that a lot of people have is watching TV before bed. This keeps your brain active and less likely to sleep unless completely exhausted.

I agree with reading. It relaxes the eyes and gets the brain using a different, more analytical, less instinctual/survivalist portion of the brain. (Flickering images cause the brain to go on alert for threats of possible predators or prey.)

Read a book!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Milk. Seriously milk is a good source of tryptophan. Tryptophan causes the body to release melatonin, which is a sleep inducing hormone.

I have a glass of milk every night before I fall asleep, knocks me right out.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
my girlfriend would hate me. I'm lactose intollerant.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
lower lights are also effective. Showering/bathing before bed can also be very relaxing, it is also good to be clean while laying in bed. The bacteria from the body grows in the heat of the body.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
1 mg Clonazepam about half an hour before bed puts me right to sleep. It also calms down anxiety related dreams and allows me to get a full nights sleep.

My room is also fairly sound proof and can have all the light blocked out, even during the day.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I also listen to music, and/or Read. I like to listen to easy-listening/slow jazz, that kinda stuff relaxes me. If I'm not at home, or staying at someone elses', the radio on very low will be enough to put me to sleep.

As for Books, I read whatever I am currently reading. I just started reading Brave New World - Aldous Huxley, except this book doesn't make me want to sleep. It makes me want to keep reading. So perhaps I'll have to go back to the Poetry Book I was reading last week...

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
AM talk radio...every night....many times I listen to the coast to coast broadcast.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Dr. Jeffrey Thompson has some interesting CDs for sleep. I listen to peaceful music for sleep.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I watch TV.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I meditate before sleep, it helps clear the mind and alows me to fall into a deep deep sleep where horrid dreams rip apart the day and vivid nightmares cause me to never want to sleep again.

But meditation works well.

also something else I do, but I won't mention THAT here

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Make love, finished with my back being tickled !!!

Failing that 15mg zopiclone goes down a treat

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
1. Lot's of exercise
2. Sex
3. TV
4. Meditation (on the nights where I just can't sleep)

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well i find listening to marvin gaye can help me fall asleep.
And before bed I go sit on my balcony for about 15 minutes which helps me get my mind settled. But I know not everyone has a balcony so that might not be a possibility.
But you could also joust walk around for a little bit to get your mind settled.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
What is this sleep?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Nyqul, cherry

Valium, strawberry

Lorazapam, little white pills

714's, God I miss em!!

Hey, my exwife was a nurse, ok?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Whaaa....you kill me.

I used to enjoy 2 shots of Nyquil to help me sleep, but since I've been sober I can't touch that stuff (unfortunately it contains alcohol)...but fortuntaely for you!

714s? What about 512s??

I do have a scrip for Xanax, and do take one ocassionally for anxiety, but don't usually take one to help me sleep. Don't need to...

Say no to drugs!

Seriously, don't drug and drive!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join