It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i think i found a planet!!! tell me what you think

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
The red and blue colours on opposite sides of the object look like chromatic abberation to me.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
another picture of the object....

this time from the new Microsoft program.

guess what it has moved some compared tot he google photo's...

no idea what that meen's but it even looks the same.

well..here it is...

no matter what program i use or filter it shows blue water and brown land..
so IDK lol

just thought i would post this updated picture

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget
The red and blue colours on opposite sides of the object look like chromatic abberation to me.

en.wikipedia.org...

These characteristics could be attributed to the elusive pepsi planet.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I gotta go with chromatic aberration, which is what causes things to "halo" with blue or green on one side, and red on the other. It's easy to see, especially if you have glasses, by looking through a lens with the lens at an angle, and then stare at something with sharp contrast to the background. Here's an example.

And here is a site that explains the concept better than I can.

In the event of your photo, you have an object obviously reflecting light from somewhere, creating a bright spot against a dark background (high contrast), and it is halo'd on one side by a reddish-brown, and on the other side by a blue color.

This is further supported by the fact you aren't using your own telescope, but rather Google Sky, which, like Google Streets, is more concerned with covering a wide area than actual sharp detail. Google probably used a wide-angle lens which would almost certainly cause chromatic aberrations on occasion.

It is absolutely not an extra-solar planet. I realize you really want to believe it is, but, as others in this thread have already stated: physics and science has repeatedly shown extrasolar planets are not visible to us with the visible spectrum of light. They are revealed through gavitic anomalies, light wobbles, and measuring the gasses coming from another system. They certainly wouldn't appear with Google Sky, which is like trying to find a planet with a poster of the night sky and a magnifying glass.

Further, don't make the mistake of thinking that reflective or light-emitting objects exist within the same general sphere of distance from the Earth. Two objects on opposite sides of the sky from one another might actually be closer than two objects appearing right next to each other.

My guess, from the shadow, and the extreme change in position in the sky (unless there's been a significant seasonal change), is that you probably found a planet local to our system. Probably Jupiter (which was also suggested earlier). Planets move much more swiftly and erratically through the sky over a short period of time.

[edit on 6/4/2008 by thelibra]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join