It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Woman files $11.3M brutality suit against Police after knocked unconscious by an officer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I've been searching this story daily for any further news and have not seen any mention of the 45 million figure you suggest. Perhaps you are thinking of a different case?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Yeah black guys that were bragging that they had a gun in a strip bar during a fight in front of undercover police officers.

Obviously, you have no idea what you are talking about. Let me enlighten you. There was no bar fight. Just a brief exchange of words that led the groom's party to call it a night and leave, most likely hoping to avoid any further confrontation. Also, the undercover cops happen to have been drunk from partying there all night. Real #in' heros.

[edit on 6/4/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Obviously, you have no idea what you are talking about. Let me enlighten you. There was no bar fight. Just a brief exchange of words that led the groom's party to call it a night and leave, most likely hoping to avoid any further confrontation. Also, the undercover cops happen to have been drunk from partying there all night. Real #in' heros.

Oh so you object to the word fight, but somehow leave out the word gun in your response. Alright during a confrontation in the bar one of Bells companions said "Yo go get my gun". Most normal people would interpet that as threatening to bring the firearm into the bar, and why bring it if you weren't going to use it?

Bell's next idea was to drive home drunk. He pulled out of the parking spot, grazing the detective, then slammed into the unmarked Ford on the street. He backed up onto the sidewalk, and hit a gate. Then he drove forward again.

That is hit and run, hit a person, smash into a car, a gate, and try to flee! Meanwhile your ex-con friend is reaching around in the car as if he is searching for a weapon. At that point most reasonable people would assume they probably DID have a gun, they had bragged about it, were drunk and in the process of trying to flee the scene of an accident.

Each of the "victims" had been previously arrested for illegal firearms posession. Bell had also been arrested twice for selling crack. Buzamn had been arrested NINE times, and Benefield arrested three times. Though I am sure they appeared to be choir boys that night, and when they threatened to use a gun to end a bar dispute everyone in the bar laughed and thought they were joking. Ha.

To me they sound like career criminals that had threatened to commit a crime in the bar and were in the process of committing a few more crimes as they drove drunk, caused property damage, hit a pedestrian, and tried to flee the scene.

[edit on 5-6-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemiK
It seems like we are seeing more and more of these incidents where the cops end up attacking the very victims they are supposed to be protecting.

No man, they have been doing this for ages.
Usually it was minorities and they were simply told to stop whining.
NOW it seems they are beating the crap out of white Americans too.

- Lee

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

NOW it seems they are beating the crap out of white Americans too.

- Lee

i guess we can call this a societal advancement eh? The cops are getting less racist, but still just as abusive.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
While I maybe debating with people in this thread, I do realize that people form strong opinions based on their own personal experience.

On another thread about an doctor in an ER, I realized that I have equally strong opinions regarding doctors and hospitals because while I try to avoid them, the two times I was at their mercy it was a bad experience, they came off as incompetent and I do believe they will abuse their authority and abuse the rights of those in their charge if given chance.

I got all fired up just thinking about it, and then thought "Hey, my feelings are just like the people on that cop abuse thread". So I just wanted to say after reflecting on the matter, I do respect the opinions of others in this thread. I believe many of the opinions expressed here are based on personal experiences, and since I have never had bad dealings with cops I honestly would not be able to relate to those feelings. Now defending thugs, I don't agree with that, but fearing the abuse of authority is quite reasonable.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
While I maybe debating with people in this thread, I do realize that people form strong opinions based on their own personal experience.

On another thread about an doctor in an ER, I realized that I have equally strong opinions regarding doctors and hospitals because while I try to avoid them, the two times I was at their mercy it was a bad experience, they came off as incompetent and I do believe they will abuse their authority and abuse the rights of those in their charge if given chance.

I got all fired up just thinking about it, and then thought "Hey, my feelings are just like the people on that cop abuse thread". So I just wanted to say after reflecting on the matter, I do respect the opinions of others in this thread. I believe many of the opinions expressed here are based on personal experiences, and since I have never had bad dealings with cops I honestly would not be able to relate to those feelings. Now defending thugs, I don't agree with that, but fearing the abuse of authority is quite reasonable.

so in short you have seen the light eh ?? you'll see the light when it happens to you personally sonia610 . all you saw on that other thread was your feelings and responses to a B.S. story . just wait until it's really happens to you . even my ol'lady's 76 year old mother cringes every time the sheriff pulls into the neighborhood wondering if they are going to harass her again or kick the doors in again and hold her at gun point with automatic weapons looking for the wrong 13yr old child . now that's when you will fully understand what kind of overbearing over stepping rights infringing animals that the law enforcement officers have become here in america . here's a suggestion for any non believers ,,,, fly out to DC and try and go into one of the neighborhood's that the DC police are going to surround with check points and try to drive thru like any american should be allowed and see what happens to you. and then come back and tell us your NEW views on the whole situation .

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ironman433
fly out to DC and try and go into one of the neighborhood's that the DC police are going to surround with check points and try to drive thru like any american should be allowed and see what happens to you. and then come back and tell us your NEW views on the whole situation .

Thank you for your very kind response Ironman. As far as slumming in DC, no thank you. I live in the suburbs of Atlanta and already know enough about bad, crime infested areas. Believe me, the police would be the LEAST of my worries.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   

it's not about slumming thru those neighborhoods it's about your right to free movement in america and your rights being infringed upon by a police force who feels that they have the right to accost you at will .
i meant no insult and apologize for any sonia610 but if your trying to argue something that you've never experienced the first thing that needs to happen is for you to understand and then see where your opinion falls . and i guess you just might after that other fiasco . sorry for any insult you may have taken here . and thats an honest statement .

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Ironman thank you for being civil. I realize this is an emotional topic. I live in Dekalb County Georgia, last year the police department made the national news because they shot 11 people to death (apparently that is an unusually high number of fatal police shootings).

Our county had 93 murders, 185 rapes, 2,351 robberies, 8,771 assaults, and 16,375 burglaries.

I am far more concerned about thugs than the police. I am not saying the police never abuse their power, but as a citizen I am far more concerned about the criminal element. Do some police abuse their authority? Most definitely. But often those that dislike the police start to glamorize the criminal element, and make the thugs in society seem like harmless kittens. I fear the criminal element far far more than the police, and the statistics show that is a reasonable fear.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Alright during a confrontation in the bar one of Bells companions said "Yo go get my gun". Most normal people would interpet that as threatening to bring the firearm into the bar, and why bring it if you weren't going to use it?

Actually, it was outside of the bar, after Sean Bell had gone back in to get his hat that he had forgotten.

But more to the point, there was no gun, regardless of what may or may not have been said.

He pulled out of the parking spot, grazing the detective, then slammed into the unmarked Ford on the street. He backed up onto the sidewalk, and hit a gate. Then he drove forward again.

Grazing a detective who was drunk, who had not identified himself as a police officer, and who was shooting at him. The Ford actually hit the Nissan, trying to block his escape. And of course he was indeed trying to escape once they started shooting at Bell and his friends. Let's not forget that his friends had done nothing wrong at all, yet suffered terrible wounds and almost died as well.

That is hit and run, hit a person, smash into a car, a gate, and try to flee!

Wouldn't you run if you were being shot at? And maybe even try to run down the person who was shooting at you?

Meanwhile your ex-con friend is reaching around in the car as if he is searching for a weapon.

That is a complete fabrication. The police have not even claimed that. Who is the ex-con you are referring to by the way?

Each of the "victims" had been previously arrested for illegal firearms posession. Bell had also been arrested twice for selling crack. Buzamn had been arrested NINE times, and Benefield arrested three times.

Being arrested for something does not make you guilty of the charge.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

these are not humans they are reptilians soulless beings posing as police we will see more and more of these beings as we aproach 2012

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Well, I don't put much credence in the reptillian angle, but I'm pretty sure you are right on the money regarding the lack of soul...if the guy does indeed have a soul it is definitely waning.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by jackinthebox

Oh so you object to the word fight, but somehow leave out the word gun in your response. Alright during a confrontation in the bar one of Bells companions said "Yo go get my gun". Most normal people would interpet that as threatening to bring the firearm into the bar, and why bring it if you weren't going to use it?

Bell's next idea was to drive home drunk. He pulled out of the parking spot, grazing the detective, then slammed into the unmarked Ford on the street. He backed up onto the sidewalk, and hit a gate. Then he drove forward again.

That is hit and run, hit a person, smash into a car, a gate, and try to flee! Meanwhile your ex-con friend is reaching around in the car as if he is searching for a weapon. At that point most reasonable people would assume they probably DID have a gun, they had bragged about it, were drunk and in the process of trying to flee the scene of an accident.

Each of the "victims" had been previously arrested for illegal firearms posession. Bell had also been arrested twice for selling crack. Buzamn had been arrested NINE times, and Benefield arrested three times. Though I am sure they appeared to be choir boys that night, and when they threatened to use a gun to end a bar dispute everyone in the bar laughed and thought they were joking. Ha.

To me they sound like career criminals that had threatened to commit a crime in the bar and were in the process of committing a few more crimes as they drove drunk, caused property damage, hit a pedestrian, and tried to flee the scene.

Bell WAS NOT the driver. He was the PASSENGER!

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Wayne Simoes (the officer seen attacking Irma Marquez in the video) was arrested on civil charges on June 27. He has been released on $300,000 bail.

Source

YONKERS (WABC) -- A police officer who body-slammed an unarmed woman and broke her jaw during a medical call to a suburban restaurant last year was arrested by the FBI on Friday and charged with violating her civil rights.

Federal prosecutors said Yonkers police officer Wayne Simoes used excessive force when he grabbed the woman by the waist, hoisted her in the air and slammed her, face first, into a tile floor.

Simoes, 38, said little Friday during his arraignment in White Plains. A magistrate released him on bond. His attorney, Andrew Quinn, said Simoes intends to plead not guilty.

Simoes could get years in prison if convicted. The Yonkers Police Department said it had placed the officer on modified duty pending the outcome of the case.

There were several on this thread who felt that the officer did not act inapropriately. Well, the FBI does not agree. It's cases like this one that stand as a reminder to police everywhere that there CAN be consequences for their actions. Wayne Simoes is finally learning that officers are not [always] above the law...

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I saw an irony in this all #... Welcome usa pos 9/11... You are all potential terrorists

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
And all of the apologists for the police now run for the hills. Maybe a few will pop in here to denigrate the FBI and say something like "oh, the Feds should be out catching terrorists instead."

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join