It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In spite of what you hear America is not a Democracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
As far as i know America is a Representative Republic. Why is it that we always hear democracy this and democracy that. We are spreading a form of government that isnt our own with guns and bombs. My view is that the Powers that be want people to believe we are in a democracy so when the proverbial poop hits the fan they can say "hey you voted for so and so". Pirate ships were Democracies. The problem with a Democratic form of government is if you dont agree with the minority then oh well it sucks for you. Honestly i dont think a Representative Republic is the best form of government either. Our electoral process is just plain confusing and the influence that money has on our elected officials is a very big problem. Just some thoughts...

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The best description of your political system Ive heard is that America is a Corporation.

Think about it and you'll see what I mean.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Yea.....more like America is run by Corporations and Private Banks lol so sad...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frank Black
America is just trying to create an illusion that we are a completely
Our electoral process is just plain confusing and the influence that money has on our elected officials is a very big problem.

Yes - I couldn't agree with you more. That's why America is closer to being a Plutocracy (a government ruled by the rich) than any other form of government. Although we are considered to be a Republic, money has a very large influence on the elections, making it difficult for lesser-known candidates to run. This is all a way for wealthy Americans to keep themselves at the top. The electoral college is just another way to put more power into the hands of the wealthier parts of America - thus giving the rich a larger influence on the American government.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Many people think America is a democracy. It is not now, nor has it ever been, nor was it designed to be.

America is "supposed" to be a republic.

But then, it isn't really that either.

A corporation is a very, very good description:

A few people at the top who work to gain massive profits steer and guide the great masses of people, capital, materials, and finance working for them in this interest, with no regard to the well-being of the workers in general. The workers are seen as abundant and expendable, and relatively little consideration is given to their welfare, and no loyalty or thanks are due to those who have done the hard and risky labor of building the corporation up and creating the things of actual value in the economy.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
It just amazes me to hear the term term "democracy" thrown around so loosely in reference to our political system. My goal in this thread is to get more people to realize the false classification and understand that the stated aim of our government is to make the world safe for a form of government which isnt own own. Who are we to tell the rest of the world that Democracy is the best form of government for them? Lol Its not even our form of government!!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I prefer the term "pluralistic oligarchy".

Both the Democrats and Republicans serve certain business and corporate interests over others. Sometimes, these overlap, but fairly often they are one or more factions set against other factions, sometimes with a mix of ideological difference on economics and competition to keep the game fresh.

At least, that is how it seems on a national level. I couldn't really comment on state and county politics. Its probably more corrupt, in a low-key way, but also has more leeway for radical players to get involved.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
youre right about that. We, as californian's voted for hillary and we're stuck with two arrogant bastards who are out to make a buck and play a joke on the electoral system.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

How do you figure that Hillary wouldn't be doing the same thing? Isn't Hillary the one that "moved the goalposts" after every primary to try and weasel her way into the nomination by subverting the primary process of attaining delegates?

The problem is the two party system.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
things will never change we just have to get used to the curropt minds that rule our country.

my favorite qoute "the WEAK are leading the strong"

we are strong and the government mentality is weak and childish

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Frank Black

I know my husband and I have a hard time with telling people this. They don't seem to get it. It's hard listening to people give their opinion on how "this should be this way...that should be that way" when they don't understand the most fundamental workings of our government (rather it's working that way or not).

*Is there really a Hillary debate going on in this thread?

top topics

join