It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dior issues Sharon Stone apology for 'karma' remark over China's earthquake

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Chinese are too nice. They still don't quite understand the world yet. Too civilized for thousands of years and too many contributions to this world. Many of these kind of people, who don't even know china and Chinese, just come out of nowhere, saying things like Sharon Stone did, which is totally absurd.

Yet, when they read book, they forget it was the nice and intelligent Chinese who invented paper and movable type printing which was the foundation of the first information evolution for human beings.

They use canons guns and rockets; believe it or not, they'll some day blame the Chinese because it was the Chinese who invented them.

They’ll some day complain about Chinese, because paper money was invented in Song Dynasty.

Porcelain? Tea? Silk? Toilet Paper? Tooth Chess? Go? I’ve used for hundreds of years or even thousands, so I take them for granted.

6 times the size as any ship that the rest world can build at the same century, include in 15 century, Zheng He’ gigantic mighty fleets were long forgotten, because he GAVE instead explore….

This world doesn't work that way, either in Political level or interpersonal level.

This reminds me the battle between china and Russia in 1969 when China suddenly attacked Soviet Union.....

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Hollywood’s Stone apologizes for China quake 'karma' remark

Agence France-Presse
First Posted 18:44:00 05/29/2008

BEIJING -- Hollywood star Sharon Stone has apologized after a furious response in China to her comments that its deadly earthquake was "karma" over the Chinese government's policies in Tibet.

The US actress also offered to help with the earthquake relief effort in a statement issued by the China branch of French luxury goods maker Christian Dior, where she is a top model.

"My erroneous words and deeds angered and saddened the Chinese people, and I sincerely apologize for this," she said in the statement, issued in Chinese and sent to Agence France-Presse Thursday.

"I'm willing to participate in any earthquake relief activity and to do my utmost to help Chinese people affected by the disaster," she added.

Stone, 50, made the controversial remarks at the Cannes Film Festival last week, leading to pledges by some Chinese cinemas not to show her films.

"I'm not happy about the way the Chinese are treating the Tibetans because I don't think anyone should be unkind to anyone else," Stone said, according to footage widely available on YouTube.

"And then all this earthquake and all this stuff happened, and I thought, is that karma -- when you're not nice that the bad things happen to you?"

Dior's China branch also issued a statement distancing itself from Stone's remarks.

"We don't agree with her hasty, unreflecting remarks and we deeply regret them," Dior said in a Chinese-language statement.

"Dior was one of the first international brands to enter China and has won the affection and respect of the consuming public. We absolutely do not support any remark that hurts the Chinese people's feelings.

"We express our sorrow over the compatriots who lost their lives in the earthquake in Wenchuan, Sichuan, and we extend our sympathy and condolences to the people in the disaster area."

Stone's image has been removed from a number of Dior outlets at department stores in Beijing, according to reports in the state media.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
For people who believe that Sharon (is she still an actress?) Stone should stick by her words; you're totally wrong.
What the ignorant beaver-flasher is saying is that the ordinary people of China (who are the major affected) are somehow responsible for their govts military actions in Tibet.
It's like someone saying hurricane Katrina was karma for occupying Iraq or Afghanistan. Do you see how ridiculous that is?
She needs to apologize, and admit it was an incredibly stupid thing to say.
Staying away from movie cameras would also be good...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
If you said something wrong, say "sorry" is normal and this is the right action. Right? It is not the matter of "listen" or not!

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

She wants to continue working the Hollywood scene. Of course she has to apologize, and whats the matter with her own voice? Did Christian Dior damage control have to speak for her?

The best thing to do now is not comment on anything at all.
Because it will be held against you.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

No, the best thing to do is have a well informed opinion.
You can at least try to do that.
Sharon Stone is a total idiot for saying what she said.
No one said to her " hey, Sharon, people will know you're retarded if you say stuff like that", because she's an ex-celebrity, who probably still has the clout to get people fired for insulting her.

Not just that. She doesn't even seem to have a grasp of the difference between karma and instant karma. Karma is how you move up and down the spiritual evolution chain. If you're good, you come back as something better. If you're bad, you come back as something bad.
Instant karma is retribution for good or bad deeds withing a lifetime.
It's a totally different thing.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by cruzion]

[edit on 30-5-2008 by cruzion]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
and she also made a very expensive mistake,according to some report,her remark cost her 56 million dollars directly,and made her lose a potential 1 billion audience film market(she was banned by chinese cinemas)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dropped like a stone: Dior axes Sharon ads as she says sorry over 'quake karma' comment

Last updated at 14:03?? on 29.05.08

Sharon Stone has been dropped from Christian Dior’s Chinese advertisements after the actress claimed the country’s devastating earthquake may have been the result of bad karma over its treatment of Tibet.

The French fashion house acted even though Stone issued a grovelling apology for the comments.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by haidian

well expected, it is like Edison Chen sinking faster than brick in the ocean, and all endrosements contracts being cancelled. Dior should even ask for Stone's compensation...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
shes facing a bit of a backlash over her idiotic remark and now she has apologized, i guess thats karma.

To be honest i did think what she said was appalling to just write off thousands of lives in such a sweeping way and I do feel she should have to answer for the fact, would you just let her opinion lie if she said the same about all the innocent people who lost their lives on September 11th. People who are given the luxury of a voice should at least think before they speak.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Although karma is now in regular usage by westerners,
karma can be pretty complicated.
Karma is basically the same as the Christian saying,
"You reap what you sow."
That in itself is easy to understand.
What is complicated is if you add to the mix the Buddhist
understanding of minds being reborn for trillions of
lifetimes-re-incarnation.
When I want to understand karma-I only listen to enlightened
sages such as Buddha. Sharon Stone is not enlightened and the
Chinese propagandist government officials do not even have the
capacity to know that enlightened beings existed. That means
that they are about as dumb as a screen door on a space station.

In terms of bad karma-
Say the person was a Nazi who worked in
a concentration camp then obviously that person has bad karma.
If you are wise enough to study Buddhist texts you find that
such evil people as Nazis do not even have the karma to be
reborn as a human but are reborn as worms, dung beetles,
maggots, etc for a few thousand lifetimes. Then after all this if
they finally do have the karmic merit to be reborn as a human
then they will be reborn as a disease -ridden child starving in Africa,
or even as an earthquake victim in China.
However, you'd have to be enlightened to actually know
a persons karma.

There are several stories of Buddha talking about an individual's karma.
One story is -Buddha was walking with his entourage and they came
across a hideously deformed man. After Buddha gave him some food and compassion they left him.
Some monks asked Buddha why he was born that way.
Buddha replied that in a previous life he verbally harassed good
people who were trying to help others thus discouraging them from assisting the handicapped and downtrodden.
And that this man would also make fun of handicapped peoples' deformities.
Therefore how will the universe teach him compassion for deformed people?
Of course, by having him reborn deformed.

That's why all these people who hate Blacks are reborn as Blacks,
people who go over to Iraq and kill will be reborn as Muslims.
But Chinese soldiers who kill Tibetan monks will be reborn as worms,
cockroaches, and dung beetles. And this is because Tibetan monks
are working towards their spiritual enlightenment and to interfere with
that results in the most evil karma-rebirth as insects. This is according
to Buddhist texts.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Electricneo

most people here are not buddhists,and now karma is an english word,so people just take it a simple english word meaning what goes around comes aroud.there is no need to dig into its religious meaning.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Electricneo,

I mostly agree with you on most of the explanations. However, take your small example for example. Those Nazis or any life-takers (killers) would not neccesary to be reborn in lower realms. The buddhistic karma works even more complicated than "you do this, so FOR SURE you are going to have this reaction.". I doubt beside Buddha and the enlighted ones in nirvana anyone would know exactly how karma works, we just know the principles and certain universal ideas like no stealing or killing and so on. Thus general idea of acting in certain ways to create the good karma and offsetting all the bad karma from all your previous lifes before, actually taught by Buddha himself.

Personally even as a buddhist it is still hard for myself hard to grasp the idea that my path is laid full of karma reactions from my previous lifes up to I have no clue how many, previous lifes of which I have totally no single memory. And therefore have the feeling I am not responsible for it. Unfairness is the feeling. However, this is maybe the biggest obstacle for myself to overcome this.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone saw the AIDS benefit she was hosting after her unhinged rant about the Chinese?
Well, she made a joke to P Diddy about him spending all his money on crack.
She needs to stick to opening her legs, not her mouth.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
" Dior issues Sharon Stone apology for 'karma' remark over China's earthquake
"

what a bunch of crap!!!!!!!!1

since when was she accountable to the state department?

she has her opinion, just like everyone else.

the only thing going on here is worldwide pressure to hold ones tongue!!!

so much for living in a "free" society that SUPPORTS free speech....

for the globalists...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by toasted

celerities have to watch their mouth,that's part of their job which they reap in billions of dollars from.if any celerity comments sept.11 a karma,and those innocent victims were dead for their wrongdoings....,at least in china no celebities did it when it happened.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by haidian]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
people here of cause can say anything we want,cause we are ordinary people,not celebirities,dont have to hold our tongue for any reason.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

IchiNiSan,

Yes, it is correct to say that Nazis or lifetakers would not necessarily
be reborn in lower insect realms. Because it is an accumulation of so
many lifetimes there could have been some lifetimes of good hearted
deeds that tip the karmic scales toward rebirth as a human. And
I agree with you that it is way too complicated unless one is enlightened.
Still even if that Nazi is reborn as a human he could still get diseases
or become a victim of a criminal, etc. unless he learns to purify karma
which is a whole other discussion.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by haidian

Haidan,

On the contrary there is a need to go deeper into the word Karma's spiritual meaning.
It is not enough to be shallow about the deep well of karma.
Because people need to learn that it is beyond the understanding of unenlightened people such as yourself.
And please do not be offended when I say you are unenlightened,
as everyone on this site including myself is unenlightened.
That is why I recommend that people LEARN that there are
enlightened beings who are much wiser than anybody here
so they can go beyond mediocrity.

The whole purpose of the Above Top Secret site is to delve deeply into subjects
-that's what makes the information Above Top Secret.
Pedestrian mediocrity is for shallow zombies who are
programmed, have limited minds and lack curiosity in other words they do
not think for themselves. If you think for yourself and have
curiosity about the nature of life then you don't have to be trapped
in the cage of the state creating a limited reality for you and that if
you are smart enough you can learn the truth about such subjects as karma.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Electricneo

are you trying to convert me,ha,no offence,just a joke,to be honest,i dont believe in those things ,i believe in science and evolution but it doesnt stop me having many buddhist friends.people could have their different opinions about the world and the life,we dont call those who have different ideas from us"unenlightened".let's agree to disagree.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join