It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Academics Arrested For Researching al-Qaida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

UK Academics Arrested For Researching al-Qaida

news.slashdot.org

"Two political researchers at the University of Nottingham. in he UK, have been arrested under the Terrorism Act for downloading Al-Qaida material from a US government website. The material was to be used for research in terrorist tactics. There has been a huge public outcry, with university staff planning a march to demonstrate against the attack on academic freedom. Yet, one of the students, an Algerian, is still held in custody under immigration charges and is being fast-tracked for deportation."
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.indymedia.org.uk...

www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Karlhungis]

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
It looks like the thought police are in full force in the UK. Why was the site allowed to be up and available for distribution, yet the people that are getting prosecuted are the downloaders? Sounds like a set up by big brother if you ask me.

Thought crime really is becoming a reality.

news.slashdot.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
We really need more info on this. The source is a blog entry. And apparently he is being deported, but it is unclear why.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

news.google.com...

www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 2008/5/27 by SteveR]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Thanks Steve, I added those links to the original post.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
This is no joke,

Working for a company, company A ( A global company ) I used to do nightshift, and spent 12 hours 6pm - 6am alone doing the IT work.
With some nights and nothing to do, id research, investigate and looking at all topics online related to Bush, Iraq, 911 etc etc
I was gathering information for my thread
'' too many co-incidences ''

I came in one day, to find my manager, and a manager from Sydney standing at my office.
I was to attend a video-interview with the security manager from the United States.

In this meeting he advised me he had been contacted about various websites raising RED FLAGS, websites related to terrorism and Iraq etc etc

he was advised to investigate WHY his network was accessing these federally noted websites.

After losing my job, and having to produce character witnesses I was advised had I of looked up anything related to flying aircraft, or learning, I would of been in serious trouble with the Australian Federal Police.

In the end the only website I can attribute it too, was a arabic website that had a massive, and I mean MASSIVE map of Baghdad, very detailed..
The image alone was around 90mb i believe.

They are watching!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

That worries me about my job as well. I do most of my ATS watching on night shift. Needless to say, that brings me to some of the seedier nether regions of the internet. I wonder if the day will come that I am questioned about my activity.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Crazy. This is exactly why the Constitution was never supposed to be fiddled with, and exactly why people who supported the Patriot Act were wrong.

(Yes, I realize this was in the UK, but it serves as a good example)

new topics

top topics

join