It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2004 List of Worlds Richest - Some Excluded?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
"After two years of falling fortunes, the collective net worth of the world's wealthiest jumped half a trillion dollars in the past year, to $1.9 trillion. The biggest gainer in sheer dollars was Warren Buffett, who added $12.4 billion to his net worth and now is only a few billion dollars shy of ending Bill Gates' ten-year reign as the richest person on the planet.

This year Forbes reports a record 587 billionaires, including 64 newcomers."

www.forbes.com...

Whatever happened to the 30+ Billion that Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei secured himself with? Despite his outlandish spending habits and the dip in oil prices that dropped him off the radar, the prices have since rebounded.

The article states that Bill Gates has held the title of worlds richest man for 10 years. How so? I distinctly remember the Sultan being the richest man on Earth in 1998! He isn't even mentioned this time. Why not?

Can anyone else see some obvious discrepencies in this article? Anyone else missing or figures misquoted?

*EDIT: Subject Line.

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by insite]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
dayyyyyummmmm....Bill Gates has more money then I thought he did...

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Ok, I may have been wrong. Hassanal Bolkiah is #1 in 1997. So how does Bill Gates hold the #1 position for ten years? Explain please, Forbes.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
WTF?!?!?!?!? THEY FORGOT TO PUT MY NAME UP!!!! DAMN THEM!!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
how can those numbers be accurate? wouldnt you hide an insane amount if you had billions or even millions? i sure as hell wouldnt tell people how much money i had. how bout you?

LOL silQ, mine got left off too. maybe we'll be on next year

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
the problem, i believe, lies in where gates has his money. most of it is in stocks, which is why a number of years ago he as worth around 100 billion. in actual cash, the sultan i believe was ahead of him, and may still be. forbes just does cash.

and a big welcome to jk rowling, the richest woman in the world

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well the first thing I notice is the lack of but one middle-eastern'er.

But the other thing I question is how it is ranked. I dont know the system, but I wonder if it excludes 'other' currencies such as the Dinar, Euro, Yuan, or whatever, and only counts USD.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
But the other thing I question is how it is ranked. I dont know the system, but I wonder if it excludes 'other' currencies such as the Dinar, Euro, Yuan, or whatever, and only counts USD.

id assume theyd convert it. itd make more sense

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

how do you get that? i count at least 5 on the first page, and she's not there. you just sayin that cos you like Harry Potsmoker?

I think they would have to use other forms of currency, not just the USD. but what conversion rates did they use? it changes all the time. of course, i guess a few hundred million is irrelevant when you have 25 billion.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrisnolefan

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

how do you get that? i count at least 5 on the first page, and she's not there. you just sayin that cos you like Harry Potsmoker?

I think they would have to use other forms of currency, not just the USD. but what conversion rates did they use? it changes all the time. of course, i guess a few hundred million is irrelevant when you have 25 billion.

no, but i wud love the shirt, those are hilarious.
ahh, i must apolgozize. i jsut searched, and i had my info messed up. i had read she was richest in the world, but everything said just in the UK.
statement=retracted, corrected

[Edited on 3/1/2004 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Pretty funny that a waitress who penned a story (even if she did rip it off a little) on napkins, is now richer than the Queen, eh?

Curiously, there is an old English story similar to Harry Potter....

Also, there was a movie in the 80's, called "Troll" in which the main character was a boy named "Harry Potter" who discovers he has wizardly powers, to overcome Turok, the Troll.....

top topics

join