It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church is the 'opiate of the people.'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Actually studies show that adolescents who experiment with light illegal drugs such as pot and mushrooms tend to be more mature than their non-experimental counterparts. Probably because they learn moderation on their own and are exposed to other ways of thinking and learn new thought-patterns. Also, pot and especially mushrooms use requires a high level of mental control, which if not attained could culminate in a horrible experience. These drugs are psychoactive and cause one to think more. Contrary to the picture painted by the mainstream, potheads are actually very deep and clear thinkers.

I also disagree with you saying that rock and roll music is an "opiate for the masses" as well, as rock and roll music has long been an outlet of emotions and discontent with society before it was commercialized, much like hip-hop and rap. In the past it has also been very political. Consider the Beatles. I would say that recent mainstream hip-hop is the true "opiate for the masses". They are not creative, every song sounds pretty much the same, and the rap no longer has any subject matter like back in the 80s and 90s. Popular rock of the 90s did really suck though, with bands like Creed and Nickleback, which sounds exactly the same as all of the other bands in that genre. Anyway, it is true that the corporate world is cranking out more and more of this mind numbing crap at a faster and faster rate.

However, on the other subjects, the consumer products, you are right. They really do cause people to become more and more apathetic. And of course, so does religion, because in a religion, people do not venture to discover truth for themselves, but instead are ready to believe whatever some guy with a microphone says to be truth.

And I don't know how "big brotherly" the USSR is with all this US propaganda here. Can you not see how "big brotherly" the US has become? If you think it out logically, outlawing religion would just erase one more boundary that keeps you apart from your fellow man. Also, in those cases mentioned earlier, they outlawed religion, only to replace it with the government.

Fedgov is the grower of the opiate of the masses.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm afraid i'll have to disagree, as after all Opium is surely the "Opiate of the People".

Drugs, Greed, Hatred, Petty Interests - surely, these are the "opiates" of the people?

It's simple to look at an organised structure and look at it as the problem, but what if the problem is deeper?

What if, the problem is so insignificantly placed and yet so critical that it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack?

The 'idea' that one can find a problem that has eluded human civilisation for countless centuries is an architectual ideal - that our great civilisation is like a building that has foundations, and requires a constant upkeep in order to stop that building from falling into dis-repair.

Well, now i'm going to expand it a little bit - the problem of Human society can be compared to that of being in a place with little over-all desirability; The people in our society can't see how our building is going to be made bigger.

How can we go further?

How can we reach beyond the walls of this world as a sentient race?

These questions are asked by people all over the world, and it's because we don't have an answer that no one is willing to ask the question.

It is because we cannot see a future for humanity as a whole that we squabble amongst ourselves with petty dreams of temporary power.

To the OP:

Sure, The Church can be seen as an Opiate of the People, but then, so can Videogames, Television, Sports, Wars, Philosophy, Politics and many other things.

The Church is one of those things that has provided society with a corner-stone, a guideline for how our society can operate effectively, much like Philosophy and Politics can.

It is the focus of the society that decrees it's main interest, not those things that contribute towards it - if western society were to focus on Religion, then Religious matters may receive some progress, and would probably hit the news quite often, and similarly, if we were to Focus on Philosophy, then we might stand a chance of progressing Philosophically.

Similarly, if we were to focus on Wars, then we might be able to stop or cause them (like with 9/11, but the latter unfortunately).

If we were to focus on Inter-planatary migration, i'd imagine we might make some progress in getting off this rock.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by italkyoulisten

meh, i was being tounge in cheek, i've nothing against any of the things i mentioned, just pointing out that anything can be an "opiate of the masses".

so.....eh.....guess that makes me a really, really deep thinker then

new topics

<< 1   >>

join