It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Stamets: 6 ways mushrooms can save the world

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
10 years ago or so I saw an news article of the tabloid weekly world news or the Sun about an claim that at least one alien species being identified as being fungal in nature, basically intelligent fungi. Even though it was an newspaper filled with some junk articles, I did not disbelieve it. Limbs that could grow in hours; perhaps minutes under the right conditions coupled with the other benefits of fungi made it an very convincing read.

Anyone have more info on it? Maybe I could search either website.

I always wondered what happened to the weekly world news, A number of their dudes died covering stories... First (i suppose) their helicopter went down in northern Europe with the loss of a number on board. They were investigating an ufo story.

Then, In America, at the weekly world news headquarters; some were POISONED by anthrax by mail with at least one fatality; then, the newspaper sort of went to pot because the forces that be killed some of the best dudes you could ask for to cover a story.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven
reply to post by grover

"all in all they are one of the most interesting life forms on the planet and among the most chemically complex"

I agree...Paul Stamets believes that Fungi are inteligent!

"A group of Japanese researchers recently demonstrated the existence of what they called "cellular intelligence." They put a slime mold into a maze and gave it two food sources. The slime mold split itself and chose the shortest distance possible, navigating throughout the maze as directly as possible to both food sources"

Actually Slime Molds are not technically fungi... they are something TOTALLY different... I mean like... they are really strange.

lets see if I can explain this... they are in essence ameoba style life forms that apparently repoduce by spores. The largest of them.. tapioca slime can grow several meters in size in a matter of hours.

From Wikipedia:

They begin life as amoeba-like cells. These unicellular amoebae are commonly haploid and multiply if they encounter their favorite food, bacteria. These amoebae can mate if they encounter the correct mating type and form zygotes which then grow into plasmodia which contain many nuclei without cell membranes between them, which can grow to be meters in size. One variety is often seen as a slimy yellow network in and on rotting logs. The amoebae and the plasmodia engulf microorganisms....

...Within each protoplasmic strand the cytoplasmic contents rapidly stream. If one strand is carefully watched for about 50 seconds the cytoplasm can be seen to slow, stop, and then reverse direction. The streaming protoplasm within a plasmodial strand can reach speeds of up to 1.35 mm. per second which is the fastest rate recorded for any organism. Migration of the plasmodium is accomplished when more protoplasm streams to advancing areas and protoplasm is withdrawn from rear areas. When the food supply wanes, the plasmodium will migrate to the surface of its substrate and transform into rigid fruiting bodies. The fruiting bodies or sporangia are what we commonly see, superficially look like fungi or molds but they are not related to the true fungi. These sporangia will then release spores which hatch into amoebae to begin the life cycle again.

Like I said they are really strange... not to mention the fact that they (fungi in general) can have up to 25 sexual combinations.

I have never heard of an actual news report citing a scientific study asserting that any fungi were extraterrestrial in origin but it would surprise me one iota.

I have studied mycology as a hobby for 20 years now and they never cease to amaze me.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
this becomes more fascinating by the post!...... definitely something im going to do alot of research on..... but can someone please tell me whether its thought mushrooms (the ones you buy in the store) should be eaten or better used as medicine?? i would include them in my diet everyday if there is going to be some benefit, ive always tended to stay away from them due to feeling like they shouldnt be eaten as its a fungi....

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicstorm

from wikipedia:

Medicinal mushrooms have been studied in depth and some species (notably Lentinus edodes, Ganoderma lucidum, Grifola frondosa, Trametes versicolor etc.) have been shown to be rich in beta-glucans, lentinan, PSK, PSP, ganoderic acid, triterpenes et.al.) for which the ability to modulate the human immune response, to lower elevated blood pressure, blood lipids concentrations, blood sugar concentration, to inhibit certain tumour growths and microbial activity, reduce inflammation etc. have been thoroughly researched in the last five decades.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Thank You for the info. Grover....I am planning on exploring fungi and mushrooms more in the following years after I decide where I am going to retire to. I want to try and grow different types as well as explore old growth forests in order to photograph them.

I am looking at Oklahoma and Arkansas since I have many relatives living in the southern USA.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I have lots of veggies in my garden. I'm becoming a certified organic health nut, so this thread is most welcome.
It's really fascinating.
Whiteraven, I exhalt thee! S & F

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
We should not forget one of fungi's most important contributions to civilization...

... the active ingredient in Beano.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Given the current crisis in the West's dependence on petroleum and the rising dependence of India and China, I think the most important idea that Stamets has for the world is his very brilliant fuel called Econol made from fungi.

Paul Stamets just might save the world.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
does anyone have a link to the list of fungi and the chemicals they breakdown?
this is very useful info and imo should be easy to find

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I'd like to get this thread back to life, since I wasn't aware of this world saving funghi, and saw the video just now, almost 6 years after this thread was posted.

Mycelium is the most amazing funghi around, as it basically Terra formed our planet, so plant life could exist.
It also converts oil or corn, and probably a lot more into Funghi sugar.

It's used to fight of disease and as a pesticide.

Absolutely amazing !

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join