It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extinct gene brought back to life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Extinct gene brought back to life!!!!Tasmanian Tiger!!!!

www.smh.com.au

In a world first, scientists have extracted a gene from the extinct Tasmanian tiger and successfully inserted it into a mouse embryo.

It is the first time a gene from any extinct animal has been brought back to life inside another living creature.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-5-2008 by the titor experience]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
My goodness this is amazing......we are moving closer to Jurassic park becoming a reality.......or are we?

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Here is another article on the same topic where the researchers discuss potentially bringing dinosaurs back into the world.......amazing!

Another article on the tassie tiger gene experiment

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by the titor experience

Yes,we are advancing at an extreme rate where sci-fi is quickly becoming reality-as always is the case.It seems like ever since 1947(The Roswell Crash)we have been accelerating at a unreal pace compared to previous years prior to 47'.(Alien help,or a new renaissance?)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Those possibilities are not something i will even pretend to know the truth of - but i definitely agree our rate of technological advancement in the last 60 years seems to be phenomenal......

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
That's absolutely amazing. I just hope we don't get in over our heads.... like in JP haha.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
A lot of sci-fi isn't just entertainment, but ideas from the mind of humans, and you know how ideas can become reality.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by the titor experience
reply to post by jkrog08

Those possibilities are not something i will even pretend to know the truth of - but i definitely agree our rate of technological advancement in the last 60 years seems to be phenomenal......

I think as long as we don't have too many wars or anything else (disease etc) to slow us down, that we will advance at an even faster rate this century. Hope I live long enough!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

It is most certainly an interesting time to be alive - to me it feels like the dawn of a new awakening which will be epic in its impact - i feel the best is by far yet to come.....

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Last year I read of scientist wanting to introduce extinct mammoth genes into elephant embryos. Now just reading drudge the uk got the go ahead to make a half human half animal embryo.
It surely is a brave new world. Scary too.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Guy's i live in Australia and i can tell you that many farmers in Tasmania and around area of vic say that the Taz tiger is still kicking around

www.tasmanian-tiger.com...

Tasmanian tigers - or thylacines

2007/04/08 - Correction to Naarding sighting location (based on Guiler book, yowiehunters website), add 1961 sighting at Sandy Bay where thylacine was killed by fishermen
2007/04/06 - 9 new mainland sightings including: Snowy Mountains near Thredbo (2000 approx); Strezlecki Ranges, Victoria (1958); Wilson's Promontory, Victoria (1993); Northern NSW (1996 - 2006), Northern Territory (2003); NSW-Vic photo (1977); Bourke, NSW (1949)
2007/04/02 - Added 3 sightings from Victoria, 2005/6
2007/03/28 - Now 38 sightings total including Hans Naarding, Klaus Emmerichs sightings (1982, 2005) and expedition information from David Fleay and Eric Guiler
2007/03/28 - 10 sightings added from tasmanian-tiger.com
2007/03/22 - 24 sightings including 1 mainland from this month.

2007/03/20 - 20 sightings in the tour, 1953 to 2001, all Tasmania

www.abc.net.au...

We have a big ass country for them to have all been killed IMO

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Jurassic park was already a reality.

It was a publicity stunt to desensitize the public to the reality.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoping for answers
That's absolutely amazing. I just hope we don't get in over our heads.... like in JP haha.

The human race, as a whole, is the epitome of stupidity. We are already "in [well] over our heads."

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

Oh come on! Don't be racist! You cats are clever thou! you've made many of us humans into your slaves, we open doors for you, we give you a home, we give you food, whatever you desire. But we are not that stupid!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by the titor experience

This is great news, OP!

Finally, a science story that makes the heart sing, instead of causing it to cower in fear....

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by duffster
Guy's i live in Australia and i can tell you that many farmers in Tasmania and around area of vic say that the Taz tiger is still kicking around

A past friend of mine (who I no longer keep in touch with) told me that, years ago, he saw a Tassie Tiger in the Victorian bush.

I have no reason to doubt him. He has no reason to fabricate the story. He wass also a very perceptive and intelligent person who was no-ones fool.

I'd like to think that there are still some left in the wild, yet to be found.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Interesting this has come up - just recently the pgymy hippopotamus which was thought to be extinct was found alive in the wild.

Who is to say the same is not true of the Tassie Tiger?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
While this is a stunning advancement make no mistake, the biological implications Jurassic Park makes are fantasies.

Have a good read of this:en.wikipedia.org...

Bringing extinct organisms back to life is well beyond the realm of possibility currently.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Well, from what "WE" the public know.

Bringing back extinct organisms is not that hard. Just think about it. Stem cells, neon mice. They're showing you the little stuff to ready you for the big stuff. A slow acceptance.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
wow

we are going way too fast!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join