It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanish firm offers $12.8 billion to lease Pa. Turnpike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Oh my God! What's next under Bush, lease the White House to China?

www.philly.com

Spanish firm offers $12.8 billion to lease Pa. Turnpike
By Paul Nussbaum

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

A Spanish toll-road operator won the bidding war to operate the Pennsylvania Turnpike, offering $12.8 billion for a 75-year lease, Gov. Rendell said today.

The proposal by Abertis Infraestructuras, of Barcelona, must be approved by the Pennsylvania legislature, and legislative leaders in Harrisburg have said the plan faces tough sledding with lawmakers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Sensationalized Thread Title; Please Review This Link

[edit on 19-5-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
At least now we know who's really in charge.

www.philly.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Is this the same company who is also going to be taking tolls from the Trans-Continental highway which goes through Mexico, US and Canada?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Clinton allready did that... and as far as the turnpike goes.. what does Bush have to do with that.. ????? whats with the people of Penn, and the Gov?? they all republicans too??

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Can not imagine why China would waste our money on leasing the White House.

However, I do believe certain national assets in whichever country should not "leased out" for especially such a long period. This reminds me of the "leasing out of Hong Kong to Great Britain". Difference is that back then it was a forced leased out and this time a volunteering one, which ROI might justify the local government to lease these kinds of assets out....

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I think this shows just how cash-strapped the US really is. I expect these kinds of transactions to continue as the US tries to raise much needed cash.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
I think this shows just how cash-strapped the US really is. I expect these kinds of transactions to continue as the US tries to raise much needed cash.

I think it was Kurt Vonnegut who envisioned the US becoming almost entirely privatized and owned/leased by foreign countries in his book "Hocus Pocus." Funny isn't it, how real life takes on the form of fiction?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
That's nothing. Take a peek at what the UAE has been buying up...They practically own half of the country. They own the biggest Housing manufacturing corp of the U.S...And from what I remember Russia just bought up the largest concrete manufacturing corp here for something like 800 mill.

"For sale to the highest bidders--Your country!"

[edit on 19-5-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Yup this shows you our country is for sale. If you have the money you can buy our country. The politicians are making a fortune off our country that many have fought and died for. People our sovereignty is gone face it. Rights of property and privacy stripped and slowly being sold to the highest bidder. I will say this isnt just Bush though cant put this all on him this has been going on for some time but now going into hyper mode.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
That damned Bush, what was he thinking about, leasing the PA turnpike?

And now, no doubt, hillary will take this idea and try and lease the Oval Office because it contains too many bad memories for her - she won't get it and he did there.

And O(bs)ama will try and lease anything currently owned by the (less educated) white middle and lower classes.

Seriously, wasn't a Japanese company running Yosemite National Park for awhile? Maybe they still are.

Funny how eveyone claims to hate America, but can't wait to get here and/or own a piece of it.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Funny how eveyone claims to hate America, but can't wait to get here and/or own a piece of it.

Theres a difference between hating America and hating our government. I love America just cant stand the government big difference
Remember centurion small government small.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Yes, but didn't you love the OP's attempt to blame Bush for yet another thing that he has absolutely no control over?

Heard the state of California is also hurting for cash. Now there's something I wouldn't mind leasing. Any takers?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Gavel pounds. 'SOLD!' to the man in the white turban. Back in the 90's we were concerned about Japan buying up acres of real estate and golf courses. What is most gauling about this is that we were promised that the turnpikes would be 'free' after a set amount of toll taking....ha!

Sold to the highest bidder, your roads, your rights, and your foreclosed houses. Hangs head in disbelief.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
American infrastructure is not for sale. (At least, no patriot ever thought that it should be!)

My god, what other ideas will these one-worlders come up with to dissolve our national identity?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Not that I;m a huge Bush fan but...This was our governer Ed Rendell's idea, and the idea was to NOT have more toll roads in pa to cover up keep. PA roads are horrible and need it bad...oh and BTW....Rendell...??? Good governer, one of the better mayors of Philadelphia..and VERY much a democrat, just FYI.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit

Theres a difference between hating America and hating our government. I love America just cant stand the government big difference
Remember centurion small government small.

You can always "vote with your feet" if you feel it's that bad. And maybe they'll even let you come back when things get more to your liking. Say, did you ever vote? Are you old enough? Remember mbu, work (hard) to change things if you don't like them, and I mean by doing more than just posting your thoughts on ATS. Get involved starting locally. I have - in every place I've lived.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Well, this is an example of poor gov't decisions. Eating your seed corn. Burning your furniture. A short term solution to a long term problem.

Pennsylvania is among the hardest hit states over the past 50 years. Once it was a thriving, powerful state, due to the steel and related industries. Since we as a country have lost our competitive advantage to Japan, Germany, and other steel-producers, PA has become a rust-belt of unemployment, much like Michigan.

And it has nothing to do with Bush, btw.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

You can always "vote with your feet" if you feel it's that bad. And maybe they'll even let you come back when things get more to your liking. Say, did you ever vote? Are you old enough? Remember mbu, work (hard) to change things if you don't like them, and I mean by doing more than just posting your thoughts on ATS. Get involved starting locally. I have - in every place I've lived.

I did not vote last election because I couldnt bring myself to vote for Kerry or Bush. 2000 I voted Bush. This year Ron Paul...So yes I do vote. Yes I do donate and instead of "voting with my feet" and leaving the country like I think you just insinuated Ill continue trying to convince the sheeple that their freedoms are being wiped away and its because of people like me that you still have even a little freedom left.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Centurian. I know you are having a bad day. Been there. That was a bit harsh. If I wanted to applause a fellow member for his insight no need to rake me over coals.
Peace

new topics

top topics

join