It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite sci-fi/horror flick? *Top 5/10*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
First of all my apologies if there is already a thread like this.
What is your favorite or top 5 or top 10 sci-fi/horror flicks? These are my favorite genre of movies, particularly ones released during the late 70's and 1980's which IMO was when most great movies were released. So here is my top 10.

1. Aliens (1986)
2. Predator (1987)
3. Terminator 2 (1991)
4. Alien (1979)
5. The Thing (1982)
6. Terminator (1984)
7. The Fly (1986)
8. Poltergeist (1982)
9. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
10. Total Recall (1990)

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I like your list but I would add Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan. I think this was the best of the Star Trek films. And how can you leave Star Wars out?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I'm not a Star Trek fan, sorry. As for Star Wars, great movies but for me they don't quite make it into my top 10. Just a pure sci-fi top 10 without horror then they probably would be in my top 10.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Yeah, I think there have been a couple threads like this over the years.

Plan 9 from outer Space
Zardoz
Time Bandits
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Liquid Sky
Dark City

[edit on 16-5-2008 by whaaa]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent Venom

Well, I don't see the horror in Close Encounters but that's in your list. Same with Total Recall. Those are straight sci-fi if you ask me.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by TheComte]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Yes which is why "sci-fi/horror" is in the thread title and not just "sci-fi". As I said if I made a top 10 list of just sci-fi movies without the horror, Star Wars would have made it. Movies like The Matrix and LOTR would have as well, but to be truthful I'm not a huge Star Wars fan neither. What I am a huge fan of are the Alien & Predator franchise, movies by James Cameron and Spielburg, etc. Having grown up through the 80's era I have also grown up with these types of movies and have loved them ever since I was a kid, even though they scared the crap out of me! But if you have a top 5 or top 10 I'd really like to see it, the whole reason why I made this thread.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Cube 1, 2 & 3

Resident Evil 2

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
just like you Venom but predator gose first for me

1Predator (1987)
2 Aliens (1986)
3. Terminator 2 (1991)
4. Alien (1979)
5. The Thing (1982)
6. Terminator (1984)
7. The Fly (1986)
8. Poltergeist (1982)
9. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
10. Total Recall (1990]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Nice list, would swap Poltergeist with Star Wars Empire Strikes Back, and Close encounters with Dawn of the Dead

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
In no particular order:

Alien. Sigourney Weaver (yum...)

Creature from the Black Lagoon. First scarey movie I ever saw. Still one of the best...

Event Horizon. Scared the crap outta me.

The Fly. Vicent Price, need I say more? "help me, help me"

Omega Man. Love it.

Battlestar Galactica. Cheesey effects and all. Not to mention Lorne Greene.

Them. Giant ants. Totally cool.

Dawn of the Dead. George Romero. No one's come close since...

Batman and Robin. Adam West. Burt Ward. Cesar Romero. et al. Cheesey. ROFLMAO. Not sure it's scifi, it sure ain't horror, lol.

Predator. ARNIE...ARNIE...ARNIE...JESSIE...JESSIE...JESSIE...

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Them. Giant ants. Totally cool.

Yes, that was a good movie. Wasn't Nimoy in that? I think he was.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
The Legend of Hell House (1973)
The Thing (1982)
They Live (1988)
The Frighteners (1996)
Blade Runner (1982)
Dune (1984)
Fallen (1998)
Strange Days (1995)
Strangeland (1998)
Salem's Lot (1979)

I choose not to pick a favorite. I like them all for various reasons.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Original_Sin

Oh My God... Theres a 3rd cube? I must watch it! Can't say it would match up to the first two. Is it Cube 0?

Heres my list. Not necessary the scariest or greatest, but still personal favorites of mine (i forgot my most fav movie so i made a o!)

0/Hellraiser -All (bloodlines and the one after that werent as good though)

1/ Critters (They were my hero's when i was a kid!)

2/Alien Abduction (Not 100% of the title but it was in the form of Blair witch and Cloverfield where a family videotaping their thanksgiving dinner and manage to record a ufo, and kill one of the aliens when it try to enter the house. Scared the S#@t out of me first time because the intro states it's a true story of a film found of a missing family.)

3/Amityville Horror- The original. ( Awesome story, although the book scared me more then the movie.)

4/Bad Taste (The Movie is as bad as the title but its good for a laugh. But still rates in the crappy section next to Black Sheep another NZ horror flick.)

5/ Terminator 2 (Always scared me, especailly the last scene...the fear of a robot that cant be killed...scared me to bits) Which brings me along to 6...

6/Robocop (Cant remember which one, but its the one where the mechwarrior type robot with the guys face on the monitor fights Robcop. That was a scary robot i wouldnt want to mess with!

7/Aliens trillogy (Although Sigourney Weaver was a fox, any Alien/ufo movie made me keep my lights on at night. But i couldnt stop watching them!)

8/Americans Most Wanted(USA)/The Extraordinary(AUS) (Even though its not a Move but Tv Series, i still put it in because they both had various topics including Ufos, paranormal and the likes.)

9/Duel (Speilbergs first movie, but still pretty awesome movie for such a simple plot line. Dont mess with trucks!)

10/Short Circut (Hey, i know. Shh.)

[edit on 24/5/08 by LI(f)E.]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
This is a hard one, because there are so many. Lets see......

1.Night of the Demons (all time favorite)
2.Creepshow
3.The Thing
4.Killer Klowns From Outer Space
5.Night of the Living Dead (1968)
6.Demon Knight (Tales from the Crypt)
7.Tales from the Darkside
8.Texas Chainsaw Massacre
9.The Haunting (1963)
10.Twilight Zone (the Movie)

There are many runner ups, but thses are some of my top favorites.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I have to be the one that says, Alien Abduction: The McPherson Tape.

Dark room, beers galore, (fake acting helps), but this was a freeky show when I first saw it.

P.s. the above lists - yep, they are there too. But this was more on our day to day (what could happen) level.

Brei.:w:

top topics

join