It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Televangelist John Hagee apologizes to Catholics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Televangelist John Hagee apologizes to Catholics

news.yahoo.com

In a letter to William Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, [John] Hagee wrote: "Out of a desire to advance a greater unity among Catholics and evangelicals in promoting the common good, I want to express my deep regret for any comments that Catholics have found hurtful."

Donohue, one of Hagee's sharpest critics, said he accepted the apology and planned to meet with Hagee Thursday in New York.

"I got what I wanted," Donohue said in an interview.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
elections.foxnews.com
firstread.msnbc.msn.com
blogs.wsj.com
news.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Thanks For Nothing Jeremiah Wright and NAACP!
McCain Endorser Pastor Hagee: God Curses and Dooms America
John Hagee and his plans
The All-White Elephant in the Room

[edit on 2008/5/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This was a magnanimous gesture on the part of Hagee. I have long felt that it was wrong of the evangelical movement use such harsh language against the Catholic Church, even though I do agree with many of the criticisms of the Catholic Church.

It should be noted that Catholics can be just as harsh in their criticisms of evangelicals as evangelicals are toward Catholics. It's just that you don't often hear of these criticisms by individual Catholics in the media.

What is more important, though, is the contrast between Reverend Jeremiah Wright's response to criticisms of his rhetoric and the criticisms of John Hagee's rhetoric.

Hagee has offered an olive branch to the Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, which was accepted gracefully.

This is the hallmark of Christianity and it is encouraging to see rival Christan groups abandon their differences to embrace the fundamentals of their faith, which of course is confession of sin and forgiveness.

This is the way Christians should behave and I would hope that this would be a beacon to those who seek to divide in the name of religion, especially Christians.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I find apologies like this pitiful .. for public appearance only.

Evangelicals and Catholics will always disagree, and Catholics will always be slandered..

As for me, I have nothing kind to say in regards to Evangelicals. Sorry if that is not politically correct.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

That's an interesting position, considering your signature.

Bigots, Haters, and the Ignorant despise me for being a Mason. And that makes my day.

You don't see an incongruity there?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I suppose you through witty observation have outed my as contridicting my own words.

Ah, but alas, you assumed before inquiring.

As I would have told you I consider the Evangelicals to be bigots, haters and the self righteous beings of spiritual superiority, which it just so happens, based on those who ridicule me to the point of creating the very signature you quoted.

Thanks for asking.

Edit for a line accidentally deleted.

[edit on 5/13/2008 by Rockpuck]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

But, what about yourself?

Are you then no better than those whom you call bigots and haters?

And is it not the Catholic church who has traditionally been opposed to Freemasonry?

showcase.netins.net...

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I grew up Catholic, and for as long as I can remember the Evangelicals were always referred to as "Holy Rollers". This term was never used in a flattering way. This (to me) demonstrates that the door does indeed swing both ways. Heck, I've been to some of the more "charismatic" churches in my area with friends, and I have to admit, I think full rock bands, people waving giant flags, dancing, and folks speaking in "tongues" have no place (again, for me) in church. I admit I was VERY freaked out, so to speak.

I think we can all count our blessings, however, that the infighting among Christians in this country is limited to words, and not bombs or bullets.

I mean, it could be Iraq, or (more topic-appropriate) Northern Ireland.

What type of religion teaches us to quarrel with others simply because of dogmatic difference?

That's not MY God.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I don't consider that to be worship either, but that doesn't describe most evangelical churches, either. At least, I hope it doesn't.

Growing up Baptist, I was always astounded by the view of Baptists that Catholics had, as it bore no relationship to the churches I grew up in.

However, this thread was intended to celebrate the gesture of a man who in my opinion violated his office by preaching hate and the gesture of a man who accepted his apology and the essence of Christianity that those gestures symbolize.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Is hating a Racist called racism?

I was not defending the Catholic Church. I will openly criticize the Church.

And no, believe it or not, I have found Catholics, aside from a few Bishops, to be far more excepting of Masonry nowadays then Evangelicals.

And as someone said the door swings both ways. Evangelicals, Televangelist and yes, Baptist are not looked upon in a favorable light to Catholics, at least that has been my view from being raised Catholics. And I saw it both ways. I have problems with both spectrum's of worship for various reasons, but I find Evangelicals to be the worse above all others.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I feel that I can accurately concede full agreement on your points. I would like to specify that these "worships" that I went to were self-titled "charismatics", and not Baptists, or Lutherans... etc. One of them was called Christ Community Church, another Dayspring Ministries, and another that has a church so huge, my Mother and Father nicknamed it the "Taj Mahal". Across the street is a State Pen. A warning to potential sinners???
I also found it ironic that the pastors at these churches invariably are impeccably dressed in custom tailored suits, drive luxury cars, and were very "fancy" and polished men.
I feel that anybody could find fault in any religion with structure... chalk that up to pessimistic human nature. I always feel that we all worship the same basic Creator, regardless of how we interpret that Entity. "God" is just a universally recognized term. I could just as easily be talking about "Allah", "Yahweh", or even "Zeus".
Hagee was wrong, and he owned his mistake. Can't fault a man for actually BEING a man and apologizing. In fact, I personally find it an admirable quality in a person.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I have been quick to defend Obama's church and its liberation theology in other threads. However, I have to concede that Jeremiah Wright is, at the very least, preaching separatism, which is incompatible with Obama's aspiration to be a leader of all the American people. Hagee evidently is trying to bridge the separation between Christian churches, and is willing to make an apology for his mistakes. While I don't agree with many of Hagee's views, I do commend his spirit.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by Sestias]

top topics

join