It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Short on hangers, companies ask for help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Short on hangers, companies ask for help

news.mywebpal.com

Water use is restricted. The housing slump is crippling intertwined industries. The price of gasoline is we’ve-run-out-of-adjectives high.

Food prices are rising. Rice is rationed. Politicians are pointing fingers. (OK, that’s not news).

What’s next, you wonder?

Have you looked in your closet?

Clothes hangers are costing more and are in diminishing supply, and Rome cleaners are asking customers to recycle.

The sudden shortage is a direct result of an “anti-dumping” tariff imposed by the U.S. Department of Commerce in March on hangers imported from China.

The tariff, according to Phenix Supply Co, a laundry and dry-cleaning supplier, was imposed “in order to allow United States manufacturing to return to an environment that will allow them to compete and return jobs to this country.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
The best part of this article is that they are bringing companies 'back' to America. What were they thinking the end result would be by us moving all our manufacturing out of the country in the first place!

news.mywebpal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Daaamm, Space Cadet posting topics .. cool.

This one isn't surprising, another China meltdown.

Sweat-shop labor and no land taxes for US businesses in China just isn't quite paying off when quality is necessary over quantity. Not to mention, China is replicating many US products and selling them under a Chinese label cheaper to the EU and other places.

It is rampid in the software business with India, many companies are now outsourcing their software developement projects to US based software companies, because they want it done right and in a timely manner.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Thanks for response, yeah I started a post! Lol! I just find it infuriating that this is just now being addressed, I watched every major manufacturing company in our county close and move to mexico or china leaving hundreds without a job. The only companies left here now, or that have started up, are owned by Chinese or Japanese companies, and only employ small amounts of local people.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I recently worked in a couple of dry cleaners. One owner threw out hundreds of hangers at a time. Customers brought in dozens of used ones to recycle, not knowing owner just tossed them in the trash! I dont see any shortage here.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
No doubt.

Damage has also been caused by China's trade tactics (since 1990, we've lost 8 million jobs thanks to China trade surpluses).

So much for Bill Clintion's "China Engagement" policy and Obama's continuing support of a more powerful China (even in leui of all that has happened).

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

I take great notice of the fact that the employees at Mcdonalds spend thier money at Wal mart and on gas, then the Walmart employees spend theirs at Mcdonald's, washing each other's backs is all we are doing anymore, not getting anywhere, just getting by. This is the end result of all those production job losses. And no way out unless we do bring back our own businesses.

top topics

join