It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it Time to Invade Burma?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Is it Time to Invade Burma?

news.yahoo.com

The disaster in Burma presents the world with perhaps its most serious humanitarian crisis since the 2004 Asian tsunami. By most reliable estimates, close to 100,000 people are dead. Delays in delivering relief to the victims, the inaccessibility of the stricken areas and the poor state of Burma's infrastructure and health systems mean that number is sure to rise. With as many as 1 million people still at risk, it is conceivable that the death toll will, within days, approach the genocide in Dar
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Retired General William Nash of the Council on Foreign Relations is hinting that might be an option
and if china doesnt put pressure on the current Gov. maybe the only way to save those who can be saved?

So what do you think? we've started wars over less noble reasons.... is this reason to call out the troops?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
'its time to invade iran
'its time to invade N.korea'
'its time to invade pakistan'
'its time to invade sudan'
And now..
'its time to invade burma'

What the hell is with some people and wanting to invade any country the second somthing bad happens?
What would invading do?,
all attacking that country would do is make it 10 times worse, more starving more disease more coruption

[edit on 10-5-2008 by Disgustipated]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I don't want to invade Burma. If the people are unhappy and consider the Junta ineffective, then maybe they should take up arms and relieve themselves.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
you all do know the Bush administration would never go for it...
no oil fields there...

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

There are actually
www.indexmundi.com...

[edit on 10-5-2008 by Disgustipated]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Disgustipated

well what do you know????
I guess that means Burma better stock up tiny American flags and the people learn to chant "Hey GI want to buy>>>>>" better not go there...

[edit on 10-5-2008 by DaddyBare]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Or maybe we sould stop shouting 'INVADE INVADE!' when a country dosnt do everything 100% right
Now i know what the junta are doing is horrificly wrong,Starving there own people who need aid right now
However invading the country would be the stupidest thing anyone could do right now

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
You know, I have actually started two threads on this very topic. Way to use the search engine... Of course, I know how us jarheads are about research...

I believe that this may have been a manmade test of how to take down a gov't from the inside. I agree that the people should fight their own revolution, but what is a revolution if only one half the dance partners show up? This is a place where the U.N., or NATO, or the US should have shown up. Failure to act is leading to more and more deaths. But it does not mean we have to nation build...

By the way, it seems that I beat the big-wigs to it...
JasonJNelson calls for Military strike before Warmongers do

[edit on 10-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Disgustipated

You are right. We Don't need to invade. Just send in a MEU or two, let them sort out the disaster. If the Junta shows up? Than we cruise missile the crap out of them...

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
That's a great idea, after all there are only 100,000 Burmese dead from the storm.

We can double that bodycount easily without even really trying

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I say let the UN figure it out and earn their keep. US plate is kind of full right now. That's all we need right now is another muslim conquest. Not prudent. Even for humanitarian relief.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
I believe that this may have been a manmade test of how to take down a gov't from the inside.

There are a number of similar cases of leadership starving a populace in need, a recent example would be Somalia. A starving populace cannot take arms and overthrow an entrenched Military regime.

Who would be running this test and for what purpose? Have they not learned this lesson before?

This is a place where the U.N., or NATO, or the US should have shown up.

Neither NATO or the US should have mandate, the UN (if it was half of what it was supposed to be) should roll in peace keepers and distribute food and aid.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I am sure the Chinese would love that. The Indians too.

AMERiraq, Iran (AMERiran in some minds), AMERIfganistan, Pakistan, India, AMERImyar, China, Laos and VietnAMERICA...

Did I miss any thing there, it seems like I did...?
DocMoreau

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Agreed Doc Moreau, we as a nation are about 2 inches from a real life 'Jericho'. Not where any of us want to be. Tensions are so high right now it wouldn't take much more to light the fuse.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
peoples memory is so short - remember last year when teh monks were marched into teh jungle to die? it was this country.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I did do a thread search before I posted but as this was a news story I didn't find any with this title....

I should also point out there is some talk on the news servers that India is talking like they might just go in...Rescue Effort... and take over until the crisis is over...

of course history teaches some crisis are never over unless pressured to end them

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
That's excellent news. I hope India does. It can't be us, not now, not this time under the current circumstances. It would be too inflammatory. I cannot even believe a military junta would be so paranoid they'd be willing to off thousands more of their own people for fear of losing power. Our kind never fails to amaze me. In our altruism or complete evil. Evolution has not been kind to our species.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

IT WAS A LIGHT JAB MARINE, NOT A LEFT HOOK... lol...

I am in no way advocating the military performing a strike against this Junta... Unless you can prove to me that it would actually have the locals step up and lead themselves. I really believe that the truth of the matter is that maybe we should just close up shop and bring everyone home. And I mean everyone. If we cannot go and free these people, who due to a technology gap are actually losing any hope of revolt, then we should stop all aid to everyone. I mean, lets just focus on ourselves, build a wall north and south, and keep a number of subs in the water as a deterrent. We can also first strike any nations that raise arms against us. Other than that, maybe just let these populace figure out their own way, as they are starved and murdered left and right.
I admit: We should have left the Iraqi army intact, struck a deal with their generals, and sent them to guard the borders. Then split that country into three, and help guard and produce their source of revenue. After that, we should have left. Surgical strikes to kill their leaders until one steps up and starts to deal. But we didn't. So we learned, right? Step up and take out the leadership until the populace has a chance. WE would ask the same if our gov't was killing 100,000 's of our own people yearly. But that is not the case here. Nation building is where we screwed ourselves people, not eliminating repressive gov'ts. That IS the job of a stronger, free people.

People will die, but the cause of freedom knows no price, nor sacrifice too great....

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Remember we are talking about the American war machine here...
if they thought they had cause (I don't see how they would in this case) Then they would have no pause in breaking out the stealth bombers and having the 1st Mar Div...take the beaches...

but as others have pointed out we've never gone to war to help people other than ourselves

[edit on 10-5-2008 by DaddyBare]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join