It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it Time to Invade Burma?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Nope, nada, nyet, 'fraid not, sorry, no-go...

We invaded Afghanistan over a serious attack on US soil. Now we are mired down with a Commander-in-Chief who needs both hands to find his own butt, and probably some help from Cheney. Military personnel are being tried in domestic courts for following orders. I keep hearing people overseas screaming about how terrible the US is for invading. I keep hearing people over here who want us to just lay down our arms and apparently give the insurgents in Iraq easier targets.

Nope, not this time. I say we sit this one out. When we revolted in 1776, no one came to our aid until we proved ourselves. So when the people of the nation formerly known as Burma decide to revolt and throw the bums out, maybe then we can help out a bit.

Or better yet, maybe we could take lessons?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Case in point the genocide in Darfur. We didn't roll up in our finest armor for that now did we? Course not. Not in the national (strategic oil) interest.
Pathetic.

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Remember we are talking about the American war machine here...
if they thought they had cause (I don't see how they would in this case) Then they would have no pause in breaking out the stealth bombers and having the 1st Mar Div...take the beaches...

but as others have pointed out we've never gone to war to help people other than ourselves

[edit on 10-5-2008 by DaddyBare]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

But you can bet if there were massive oil fields there, or potential for cushy corporate rebuild contracts, they'd be all over it. It's all about satisfying the greed mongers insatiable lust for more wealth.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I don't know what else to say DD. When I saw Eisehhower on Letterman's presidential speeches looking like he saw a ghost telling us beware the industrial/military regime we were screwed in totality from that point on.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

That is a truly haunting speech...Everything he warned about came to full fruition. The Frankenstein Monster got up off the table and walked away--Now it's out of control and killing everyone, and no one seems to be able to stop it.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

haha, I was about to make similar comments.

Actually, these war-mongering has certain valid strategic reasons. Mainly to have one extra base to encircle China.

By most reliable estimates, close to 100,000 people are dead.

By the way, is it just me or what. What is considered "most reliable sources" according to Yahoo News? Wasn't it only the Pentagon/Bush Admin who claimed the 100,000 victims in Myanar?

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Actually yahoo says it's closer to 500,000. But hard data is hard to come by anymore. Either way, it's a tragedy of biblical proportion.
One more base to encircle China. With all do respect, don't you think there has been enough killing?

[edit on 5/10/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Certainly a tragedy and a disaster in which everyone should lend a hand to help the victims. Nonetheless it is simply interesting to see how incredibly fast the Bush admin is blowing up the figures to hundreds of thousands, millions....

An interesting article for everyone to read is this:
Bush administration moves to exploit Burma cyclone disaster

These pledges are certainly not intended as selfless humanitarian gestures. The Bush administration has been seeking to undermine the Burmese military regime for years and seized on protests last year by Buddhist monks to slap economic sanctions on the country and its rulers. There is no doubt that the United States would be happy to exploit the current tragedy to get a military foothold in the country.

The NED was involved in training those monks, and now this?

In the case of Burma, the US is interested in countering the influence of China, which has closer ties with the military regime and sees the country as a critical point of access into the Indian Ocean. As far as the Bush administration is concerned, the population of the country is only a bargaining chip in the pursuit of geo-strategic objectives.

US energy giants, including the Chevron oil corporation, also have interests in Burma. While the Bush administration has placed economic sanctions on the country, these have not affected Chevron’s multibillion-dollar investments through its subsidiary Unocal. Human rights groups have accused Chevron of complicity in abuses in Burma intended to protect its pipeline routes.

China & Oil? Enough said here.

[edit on 10/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
If we wanted to help we would have flown a few cargo planes over and dumped food and water with little American flags on them.

We could then have apologized for any inconvenience.

I am beginning to suspect this is a dog and pony show. And that there is an international agreement to forbid providing help to disaster areas.
What better way to get the population down to 500 million?

Watch for the pattern! Disasters and a ten day wait for help. Ten days is the UN's minimum effective response time. Just turn it on it's head, and you have the UN's minimum ineffective response time. Maximized devistation with minimized accountability and plausable deniability.

The US went first with Katrina! We set the good example by proving we would do it to our own people!

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I honestly don't know what to believe anymore. I really don't. What with faux news and everything else. I feel like a lost paramecium. Really.
Cyberian. I couldn't agree more!!!

[edit on 5/10/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I know this is incredibly paranoid. And incredibly implausible. But I believe steps are being taken to reduce worlds population exponentially. As a previous poster said, watch the ides.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You can't blame them for not wanting the disaster-multipliers USA in with their tied aid . Once in, they aren't going anywhere. They'll be building bases ,overthrowing governments, privatizing industry for US corporation benefit and running up a nice little debt in rebuilding and construction contracts to for burma to keep them enslaved for the next few decades . It'll be disaster capitalism just how Noami Klein described it.

[edit on 10-5-2008 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Sad but true. Un friggin believable. The 70's and 80's we were world angels, jumping on foriegn disasters. Now we are the worlds pariahs. I liked the former.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gun Totin Gerbil

Great post, the track record of the American empirialism is bad.

Amazing to see how the Bush admin thinks the world will simply forget all the past examples.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
Certainly a tragedy and a disaster in which everyone should lend a hand to help the victims. Nonetheless it is simply interesting to see how incredibly fast the Bush admin is blowing up the figures to hundreds of thousands, millions....

The figures are coming from the BBC... they have a reporter who managed to sneak in and has been sending video of the bodies floating in the backwaters... the official radio is calming 65,000 dead and climbing and with roads out and no real air support the numbers are likely valid...

Just one last thing to point out I know everyone likes to Bush bash and surely I'm one of them...and in this case were not hearing both sides of this story...
Aid begins to trickle into cyclone-hit Burma but fears of further catastrophe remain

Aid has started to trickle through to the survivors of the Burmese cyclone disaster but many more supplies are urgently needed if a disease epidemic is to be avoided, aid agencies said today.

Two Red Cross planes loaded with emergency relief supplies have now landed in the stricken country with another due to land later today.

The Red Cross estimates that some 220,000 people have now received some kind of aid, in the wake of the catastrophe.

Charities have been warning of a disease epidemic of "apocalyptic proportions" due to delays in supplies getting through to those in need.

See that's quite a bit different than what American news has been saying

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
First of all, America IS NOT going to invade Burma. The UN, NATO taking action? Perhaps, doubtful though. But the THREAT of a military strike would suffice. If only our leaders in government could say "Hey a-holes, the world WANTS to help. You don't want it? Maybe a few dozen pinpoint placed cruise missiles dropped on your most important government facilities will expedite your decision making process...get back to us SOON, ok?"

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gun Totin Gerbil
You can't blame them for not wanting the disaster-multipliers USA in with their tied aid . Once in, they aren't going anywhere. They'll be building bases ,overthrowing governments, privatizing industry for US corporation benefit and running up a nice little debt in rebuilding and construction contracts to for burma to keep them enslaved for the next few decades . It'll be disaster capitalism just how Noami Klein described it.

[edit on 10-5-2008 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

Ah I love people who abhore America so much that they'll even become apologists for police states that starve their own people. But I suppose that you're right...America would just hunker down and occupy Burma/Myanmar just as we did in Indonesia and Thailand for the 2004 tsunami. Oh wait...ah never mind, lets forget about the central topic of dead and dying countless thousands, America sucks! Yeah!

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Good God! You want to help them by blowing up their government!

Dude, take a Lude!

They need to have food and water air dropped, Aint no one in that country going to wave a sign yankee go home at you as you push it out the back of the plane.

As if they could hit our aircraft with weapons fire. We can pinpoint bomb, but we can't drop a crate of rations on a temple!

Stop being a trigger happy psycho. Yes I am volunteering to have points taken away. Someone must be willing to perform self sacrifice for the sake of sanity.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Again, I (and many others) are not trying to waive off how disastrious this tragedy is, it's a humanity crisis with way too much victims. It is just that in these cases I don't believe USA will be helpful at all, because there is no trust towards the Bush admin anymore in the area.

Honestly, when I heard a "cyclone" was hitting the region "again", my initial response was "again", "oh". I mean, every year during these period of time typhoons are hitting the area. In China we just received our first one also with "some" victims. But when the first reports came out and show us how much stronger this cyclone was than the "usual normal ones" it stunned me a bit. Yet it is simply sad when opportunistic people want to profit off this disaster by calling for invasions and so on.....

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Burmese military has confiscated 95% of the aid that has arrived to Burma. The aid is going to Junta, people in the disaster area are still recieving none. This is a genocide going on...

Sending a Carrier Strike Group in to the region would probably be enough to convince the Junta to allow foreign aid distribution to bypass the burmese military and get the aid to those most needing it. No need for violence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join