It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN halts aid to Myanmar after junta seizes supplies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

UN halts aid to Myanmar after junta seizes supplies

news.yahoo.com

YANGON, Myanmar - Myanmar's junta seized U.N. aid shipments headed for hungry and homeless survivors of last week's devastating cyclone, prompting the world body to suspend further help on Friday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Folks this is a grim situation. I seldom recommend the violent overthrow of a stable govt, but in this case they have proven themselves inhuman and not capable of reasonable judgment. Military action is needed now.

The price of water, is up 500% for those that survived?........Take em down.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The thought that anyone would allow the survivors to continue to suffer after such a tragedy is just beyond the ability of words to relate. Wounded, starving and sick survivors not even having food and water, because it was seized?

Who are these animals, these brutish semi retarded, ego maniacs? What gives them the right to seize aid? This is on the level of war crimes or genocide and they need to be brought to the world court to answer for it.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Illahee]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This is grim...

Surely somebody must be able to do something?

I mean how can anybody from any self respecting country allow this to happen?
After thousands have perished and many more are sick and dying, trapped and helpless and now these b*st*rds are starving them, refusing them emergency aid and keeping the supplies.

I don't usually support force, but in this case all supplies should be protected some military and it should be given out only to people who need it (i.e the starving, the thirsty, the dying and the injured).

Anybody trying to divert the supplies should be dealt with accordingly....

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Now this is what our military forces should be used for. We should just barge our way in, not to overthrow the government, but to provide this needed aid. If they fire on our troops, then it's their own stupid fault.

So I say load up as many planes/helicopters and boats as we can and smash our way in.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
Now this is what our military forces should be used for. We should just barge our way in, not to overthrow the government, but to provide this needed aid. If they fire on our troops, then it's their own stupid fault.

So I say load up as many planes/helicopters and boats as we can and smash our way in.

Yes this is what are military should be used for. If we responded fully around the world to everyone needing assistance, well we could have done it for 1/4 th the cost of the Iraq war every year.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
www.newsweek.com...

^^ remember what this military junta did to the monks and nuns in the protests? thats right they marched them into the jungle to die.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
God - this - kind - of - thing - make - me - so - sick - and - angry.

As - a - Canadian - I - hope - our - government - will - send - in - troops - to - take - them - down, - although - our - military - is - not - as - big - or - as - well - outfitted - as - most, - I - think - our - troops - would - rather - be - there - helping - than - in - Afganistan.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I say leave the poppy farmers to ruin their own market with overproduction and strip the soil for a few years. Its self limiting in a short span of time.

We need to load up the planes and go somewhere where we are doing some good.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

So your suggestion is to go to war with Myanmar over this?

I'm sure that will be of huge benefit to the starving people in the floodlands.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar

UK, knock yourselves out trying that approach. Oh and while you're at it, you can take along the 1/3 of your own food that's been reported that you waste.

I can already see the news articles and ATS threads saying that the UK went in under false pretenses to exploit the economy and people.

[edit on 5/9/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
So the Gov't seized the aid and want to distribute it themselves...

I really don't think nows the time for them to be worrying about something as silly as who distributes aid. They need all the help they can get and their gov't wants to play foolish games of EGO.

Now you guys see why Rebel Forces arise... Because of this sort of stupidity.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by Illahee

So your suggestion is to go to war with Myanmar over this?

I'm sure that will be of huge benefit to the starving people in the floodlands.

Yes. We should be dominant in the delivery of the aid to these people. They have no right to seize and steal the food and medical supplies.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChronMan
So the Gov't seized the aid and want to distribute it themselves...

I think it should read "the gov't seized the aid and wanted to distribute it TO themselves."

I wouldn't be holding my breath on the hopes that they victims were getting any.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I wondered what happened to ol' Brownie after that hurricane relief job in Louisiana. He got himself another FEMA job in a different country...

join