It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1940 Science Fiction Magazine Found, Need Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I was going through some of my stuff I had in storage and I found an old magazine I seem to have forgotten about.

This is an Amazing Stories Science Fiction magazine from 1940 and it's almost 70 years old.
Some of the stories are quite interesting and I would like to share these with ATS members but I need help.

I would like to know if anyone can offer suggestions as to how I might be able to digitize these pages without inflicting wear and tear on the magazine binding.

I started scanning the first few pages but I don't want to stress the fragile pages any more than I have to.

Appreciate any suggestions.

I scanned the front and back covers plus a few other pages.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Very nice find, that's something I'd like to read.

Instead of using a scanner you could try using a digital camera to capture the pages. You'll need to crop the images to make them the exact size of the page, but you should be able to capture each page without damaging the magazine.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Great find Alexandro!

AD's method could work and there is not much chance of damaging the magazine. I've used it with some success in the past using a simple webcam, so a higher quality camera should do a great job.

You could also try a handscanner like this one:

I've seen some used one in computer stores for about 5$ CAD

Also, I noticed the publisher of you magazine, Ziff-Davis went bankrupt last March. I had no idea they were around for so long. Wired magazine is probably one of their more famous publications.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Be sure to treat it with kid gloves, it could be worth a lot of money!!

Wish you success!

Ww

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Thanks for the tips.
I may look for a hand scanner, at least one that can cover the width of the magazine itself so that I can scan pages with one swipe. I wouldn't want to patch hundreds of pages.

I will probably end up using a camera with a good macro setting so that everything turns out crisp and clear. This would probably also allow me to capture the two page fold out.

Heads up, I find it odd that one of the ads in the magazine mentions something related to a New World Order, but they call it A New Order of Ages.

Will post soon.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
As I sell similar items on ebay I can recommend a digital camera as the fastest and least invasive copying method. You might have to play with the lights at first. If the picture looks at all fuzzy on your camera screen just take another. I wonder if any of those authors are pseudonyms?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Heads up, I find it odd that one of the ads in the magazine mentions something related to a New World Order, but they call it A New Order of Ages.

That would be very interesting. As you probably know "A New Order of the Ages" appears on the US $ bill.

Looking forward to seeing it.

top topics

join