It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Class of '08, a Scramble for Jobs?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

6. How to prepare taxes. This has nothing to do with anything, but it just really bothers me high schools don't educate kids on their own taxes..

Anyways..

That's about all I have.

Lets add monetary system and how it works on their....oh wait will never happen because people would riot on the streets...

I agree with you if you go into a job dressed like a jacka$$ and talk like something is in your mouth chances are you will not get that job. But there is something I learned and this is how I got to where I am...its who you know that gets you the job and its what you know that keeps your job...my advice to everyone is meet as many people and be nice to everyone because you never know what might happen in the future..trust me I ended up working for a guy that at first we did not get along but I was still nice to the guy.

Oh and being Irish Im sure you are quite quite white.....my best friend is Irish red hair and all

[edit on 1-5-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Yes, we SHOULD teach kids the entire REAL monetary system as well!...

But I completely agree it is WHO you know that 9 out of 10 times can get you a job. Social networking is very powerful.. groups like Elks, Masons, VA, being a Marine, even going to conventions and meeting people or seminars.

Also, I'm one of those odd Irishmen, brown hair, red beard and tan like a Mexican.
We came from the West coast, so most likely a bit o' Spanish in me.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

A star for you, all good points. I especially appreciate your giving credit to the spoken word. It is imperative in interviews to become a person the supervisor wants to be friends with in my opinion. You must do pretty well at the bar too, I assume.

The reason I like that inclusion is because that's my main way of being hired. I have NEVER interviewed for a job I didn't get, and that is out of the 10 jobs I have worked (I move... ALOT). Yes I am tooting my own horn, but it shows your theory is correct.

My problem is getting the interview...

As far as my specialty, I do sound work, which honestly is extremely hard to get into even with a good economy. I am not currently looking for a job because I my mind is fanciful enough to believe that my musicianship will make me a millionaire in the next few years. If it takes that time span of being poor to eventually being rich, I will make the investment.

Haha, so I guess in the end the rules don't apply so much to me, but you better believe I'd have been working hard for any company who would have gotten at me on monster and asked to interview, but to my surprise no one did.

I have a good resume, you can check it out if ya'd like! I just think it shows the job market is failing when a good candidate never gets a call.

Again, good post.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Hmm.. your biggest problem is over specialization then. That's a bitch in any industry. I know guys who got laid off from GM, Delphi and Mortgage companies.

GM and Delphi guys need to move out of the area because there's nothing left. The Mortgage guys can re-specialize and of the 6 guys I know laid off in the last 5 months all got a new job working in the same market, different title. Then last week Lexus Nexis laid off several hundred people in my area, and all of them will most likely be getting job offers because their skills are so wide ranged.

Then you get the guys (I was one of them..) who goes to school for a degree, but it's not a degree that would help them in the job field (mine was history, I work in financial services). Friend of mine did technology research for the military.. his specialty was very defined as something to do with propulsion (I think, he uses to many big words) but his degree is in business management.. which has nothing to do with what he does or wants to do.. so after being laid off.. he can't get a job.

But I do hope you get your millions, throw an ATS party when you make it big.

The economy might suck, but the bottom line is this. Companies need jobs filled, and the evidence is in the fact we still import more skilled workers then any nation on Earth. Even during a near recession. I don't think America is producing enough qualified workers, and/or the good quality workers don't know how to make themselves properly known of.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

But I do hope you get your millions, throw an ATS party when you make it big.

Has there been an ATS party?? If so maybe Ill throw the next

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

There was once that I know of. Big event in New York.

Only one member was allowed to attend.
dunno who it was.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
3 part time kids here that work for us that are graduating from college this spring and all 3 of them lined up jobs for 50+K with no problems. They had their pick between 3 and 4 jobs in fact. The jobs are out there, but you might have to move out of the depressed area in which you live to get them. Tons of jobs in the DC area for college grads and those with certain skills. No jobs for those without degrees and no skills because the illegal mexicans take those. If you're young and fresh out of school with no family and no mortgage and can't get a job then I recommend moving to another area. Hanging around with the rest of the bumpkins in your town complaining about how there are no jobs won't help you get one. You've got the degree and the skills you need so get out there and take your job!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join