It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Sky's the Limit thread, a glimpse into voyeuristic exercising

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well this is my rest week. I played a real good full court game yesterday. I used to be an asthmatic weakling, but no more!
I was out running, out shooting, out rebounding and out playing everyone. Still can't dunk at 10 feet though, but it'll all come with time.

One thing you gotta watch out for is those aggressive mofos that get angry. The big man at the game yesterday got taken out by some bastard that didn't like getting blocked 24/7. They both went up for a rebound but the other guy kinda jumped into the big man. So the big man came down and completely sprained his his middle finger... he left the game to go to a clinic or something. so watch out once you get your ups. It's a whole different world.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
One thing you gotta watch out for is those aggressive mofos that get angry.

I usually play with people that I know. There's rarely anger involved, and even tho we play a little aggressive, or shall I say competitive, it remain all in good fun.

But I know what type of mofos you talking about, can't stand people like that.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
---
Back in the program after my rest week. My gluts and thighs are sooooorrrre. Although, the excercises seemed easier, the result afterwards is painful.

4/8 - Every excercise works deep inside of my muscles. The real work has just begun, I see. The complete "tearing down" and re-building of muscles is a sore process.

If I can't dunk by week 4 or the end of week 5 I'll be very very suprised.
---

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
----
week - 4/4/04

Current Vertical- 24 inches

I tested my vert by jumping directly under a rim and touching it. This allowed for a lot more movement than before. I believe my previous measurements were "stunted" because jumping against a brick wall is enough to make anyone hold back.

----

[Edited on 9-4-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I just got a new basket (a more solid one this time), bought my self a new ball because the old one (with built-in pump) totally sucked and wouldn't keep his air, and now I'm ready to start seriously. I'll reg on the site you refered in your first posts and will start to follow the program too.

There's something bugging me tho, I get this incredible legs pain after playing for a while, I wonder if my shoes might not be correct to play basketball... I used to run with them without having any serious pain, I wonder what's the problem... might have to get new ones.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Oh man throw those shoes int he fire! I #ed up my legs real bad and had to rehab for like 2 months or something. Running shoes are the absolute worst for jumping because they off no support for the front of your foot. That # will give "jumper's knee"

Get new shoes or switch ASAP. Ice them down reall good too. I hope its nothing permanent.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
No, nothing permanent, my legs were fine after 3 days or so. Actually, they ain't even "running shoes", they are skateboarding shoes. But I used to use them to go jogging, and I never got hurt like that.

WHat would you suggest? You said "running shoes" were the worst for that or something... I was thinking about buying some basketball shoes like Fila or something? Do you have any suggestion?

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
shoes that specifically say basketball shoes. Not that they're super special or anythign, but you know they won't have padding that might hurt you.

I got dirt cheap Shaq shoes from Payless for ilke $27 and they've still held up. I guess I'd recomend those. I think the brand is "Dunkman" ironcally enough. But anything really, as long as it says basketball on it.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
----
week - 4/11/04

Current Vertical- 24 inches

Things are about the same. These excercises, at so many repetitions, are really working my legs.
----

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
----
week - 4/18/04

Current Vertical- 25 inches (can now jump and barely grab rim from standing directly underneath it)

I feel like the excercises are tough but aren't doing enough. This is incorrect, though, beacuse I have take longer breaks in between excercises or I'll collapse
I'm getting impatient to "get up there."
----

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
----
week - 4/25/04

Current Vertical- 25 inches

I was going to put 26 inches, but I'mn not really sure. This is the start of my rest week so I'll see more gains. This has been the hardest week. I have been playing intense basketball after work outs too.

But I have growing doubts if this program will let me dunk; I have this idea that I'm hitting a plateau. I need 30 inches to dunk. The results of this rest week will be important to me.

After this program I'm going to do polymetrics and maybe take creatine. I'll be like spring heeled jack then.
----

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
---
week - (REST WEEK) 5/2/04

Current Vertical- 26 inches

I've only played twice this week, which is rare. I played some alright games. But after this not-so-good tall white guy left and it was 3 on 3 I somehow stepped up. It happend when I was getting tired ... I just clenched my stomach muscles (which are need to jumping for some reason) and using my jump to post up over people and put the rock in. I fancy I was like Kevin Garnett

My shot is getting really good, but I don't jump anymore, which is bad. Shooting improvement seems to be a side effect of this jumping program. When I jump up I get slightly above rim level, so it's easy to get lazy in shooting. Doesn't always work though!

I'm going to get creatine for my b - day and I'll try some of that stuff. I wonder what will happen ...

EDIT- forgot to change the date of that week
----

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   
---
week - 5/9/04

Current Vertical- 27 inches

Did my excercises on friday at midnight and today I can hardly jump. I'm sure my muscles just need to heal, although there's no soreness. Eating a lot of sardines, oysters.

Developing my polymetric plan; Week 12 starts next week and I'll only have two more weeks after that. I'll probably take creatine, a natural energy/strength enhancer, but at very small doses.

I'm moving very soon, so I don't know how that will disrupt my schedule.

EDIT- I forgot to note that I now weigh 165 pounds. I'm not sure if this is water weight or new muscle on my thighs. I can only gain weight through working out, pretty much.
----

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
---
week - 5/16/04

Current Vertical- 27 inches

Adding this entry early. Moving and packing took off two days of excercising. On Wed., much to my disappointment, I couldn't even grip the rim from jumping under it.

However, having worked out wed, and on thursday, I was able to grip the rim a little bit better than before. So it was probably a matter of warming up/working out.

The exercises are getting very difficult. I credit this to my absence. I am also eating poorly due to finanical diffuculties. But this should change.

I can't wait to start the polymetrics because I believe this program has outlived its usefulness; at this point, to get up there, I need to actually jump. Resistence training can only get you so high. I only have two more weeks left, so no quitting from me.

I will post my polymetric program in a different thread, when the time comes.
----

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
---
week - 5/23/04

Current Vertical- 28 inches

I'm posting this early because I doubt I'll gain another inch in two days. The exercises were getting really hard last week, but this week they've been easy. I even went from 55 seated dumbbell lift and press (16 lbs; 3 x 65) to 65 without a problem. Next week is my last week.

I'm going to take two weeks off (or maybe only a week, if I can't wait) when I'm done with my program. To keep my gains, I'll attempt 30 dunks a day, in sets of 10, 3 reps. I'll try make them leaps, instead of kinda jumping straight up, as I have been. I'm still not taking creatine or protein.

Some observations and thoughts:

When going up for a dunk I jump straight up mostly, being I'm using raw leg power to elevate. But sometimes I drive down the middle and just let it loose, and make a baby lay-up. This is more of a leap. And afterwards people are like, why didn't you dunk it? What I realized is that I'm getting high enough (maybe not enough this way, though?), but I'm used to jumping a certain way when trying to dunk which isn't as good. Check this page out: www.geocities.com...

Note the distinction between leapers and jumpers. I'm using one leg, mainly, when driving down the middle, but two legs for the dunk. As the link says, two legged jumpers like Vince Carter are "useless" because you're not going to be able to elevate over Shaq. Shaq or Yao would just slap your head off. In a normal game this is still true. In order for me to elevate and dunk over someone I'm going have knock someone down. It's much better to leap and "glide" past/over them.

So what all this mumbo jumbo means is that I need to practicing leap-type jumps (like Jordan, sailing from the foul line). I can do both types of jumps fairly well, its just a matter of practicing.

Finally, I couldn't find anything on how to jump properly for basketball. Quite a shame. From what I can tell, you run, but kinda relax your legs (don't tense up). Then, assuming your doing more of a leap, you extend your left leg forward (if you dunking right handed) and then use your right to kinda stabilize as you enter the jumping motion to sail forward. The jumping motion is pretty simple: be loose, begin to squat down (stick your butt out kinda), so it's like you're "compressing." Then generate maximum push off of one leg, using the other to softly stabilize if needed. Be sure to orient your push towards the basket, not up, because where your center of gravity goes determines the direction of the leap. And just keep practicing and you'll get more powerful through repetition.
----

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
---
LAST week - 5/30/04

Current Vertical- 29 inches --> 96" + 29" = 125" (5" over the rim)

I shifted my excercises a day over because of a thunderstorm watch in my area. So my last excercise is today, but I've gained what I will this week.

I can basically dunk, but I can't quite push the ball straight down. But this minor gain (probably an inch) will come either with the rest week or the polymetrics I'm going to do after.

I want to thank those that took the time to read this thread. Posting every week and seeing the views go up was very encouraging. For anyone, short or tall, I encourage them to do this program. I found it to be well balanced and a great stamina booster.

I've found that stamina is the most important aspect of this program. I went from an asthmatic weakling to a guy that can play 2 or 3 hours of full court bball no problem.

The program will give you a solid vertical as well, while not endangering yourself. It provides an excellent foundation for polymetrics (a different type of excercise).

Ironically I just finished the program as the site closed down. If anyone would like a copy, I can probably provide one for you. Edit - See -> www.angelfire.com... and read the whole page for descriptions.

Happy Hops!
----

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by ktprktpr]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join