It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beatles Vs. Rolling Stones...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

The Beatles, good as they were, did make some hideous contributions to music.

Indeed. Aside from that horrid ditty you mentioned, consider the following:

All Together Now

Baby You're A Rich Man

Boys

Carry That Weight

The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

Dig A Pony

Good Morning, Good Morning

Hey Bulldog

Misery

My Bonnie

Piggies

Revolution 9

Think For Yourself

Yellow Submarine

...and possibly the most contemptible and disgusting lyric ever penned by a songwriting genius in our time,

Run For Your Life

Speaking of lyrics, you can say what you like about the Stones, but theirs have always been first-class. I can think of only one exception - As Tears Go By, one of their earliest songwriting efforts. The Beatles had their moments as lyricists, but on this score the cup must definitely go to the Stones.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
This thread compares apples to oranges.

I disagree...I look at it as if we are comparing (arguably of course) two of the most influencial Rock Bands in Music. Both bands brought excellent talent to the music industry, great song writing skills, and had a long lasting presence that still exists today within the industry.

There are songs from The Beatles that I am not entirely fond of (Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds) however...The Beatles still take the cake for me. John Lennon in my opinion, was one of the best song writers to ever live (along with Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison, JJ Cale etc..) and contributed some excellent lyrics to The Beatles Music.

[edit on 6/20/2008 by CA_Orot]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Got to say as well, "Hey Jude" makes me want to puke, that songs goes on for like 9 years...

Did anyone see the incoherent mess, Beatles-butchery that was Across the Universe?

I don't mind the Beatles, but it's a case of style over substance.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

LOL...I actually really liked Accross the Universe...I thought it was a good Love story - I liked how all the characters sang the songs themselves.

Dana Fuchs did a great rendition of Helter Skelter I thought...

and...I personally really like Hey Jude, its one of my favorite songs...

- Carrot

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The Beatles...hands down. But if you asked Brits, they'd say Queen. Props to The Rolling Stones, though. At a time when British bands were trying to imitate The Beatles, they went out and did their own thing.

P.S. Hendrix is better than all of them...just sayin'

[edit on 22-6-2008 by DarthChrisious]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Rolling Stones for me

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Beatles.... They all went on to have semi 'successful' solo careers. However, only two members were able to produce albums that I can actually listen to and thoroughly enjoy.

George Harrison with All Things Must Pass

John Lennon with Imagine and Working Class Ono Band.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

MMm I love John Lennon, he was an excellent song writer. But I wasn't really a fan of Yoko....something about her really bothered me...

- Carrot

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

Thought it was an ok story and a great idea, just poorly executed, reminded me of drama students too much.

Don't want to derail the thread, but musicals - two words ROCKY HORROR...

Anyway's, the Beatles music just doesn't seem as visceral to me, Beatles always a little too polite sounding.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Who mentioned Rocky Horror...? Absolute *genius*!

Sorry back to the original theme...for me it has to be the Stones. Every time. Good old pagan rock 'n' roll...lol! And they're still gigging.

I've never willingly listened to a Beatles record, and I actually find their music kinda creepy, almost unlistenable...I know it's clever and sophisticated and poetic and all that, but I just can't go there.

Which track to choose though...probably "Sympathy for the Devil"

Caitlin

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Dang..I remember this discussion when I was a Sophmore in high school. Fights broke out sometimes over it!! :bash: For me..Its the Stones. The music just gets me. I like some beatles but its the Stones handsdown for party music!!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Two Simple Words.

Abbey Rd.

&

The White Album.

These albums alone, in my opinion are better then the total works of the Rolling Stones. The Beatles developed and delivered (though some what cryptic) message to the fans. The stones to me, always seemed to mainstream.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
The Beatles as I believe they represented the more avant garde side of Rock. John Lennon as a fav member of the group. I do like some Stones songs very much.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join