It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time machine question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
What would happen, if by chance, You use a Time machine to go into the future and where you landed was inside a slightly larger time machine, and then that time machine traveled into the future at the exact same time that your time machine landed inside it and that one landed, all by chance, in another larger one, so two time machines are now inside another larger one.

What would happen to the first guy? Where would he be?

Which dimension etc.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
If you had a personal watercraft and jumped a wake and landed in a cabin cruiser that was then struck by a wave that landed it in a ship where would the guy be who was driving the personal water craft?

Well he would be on the ship and he could get off at whatever port it landed.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I don't think you understand how time travel works.

His time machine would be in another parallel universe compared to the parallel universe he would have been in if he had landed on an open field instead of another time machine which traveled at the exact same time, by chance.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
You would be in the Seattle space needle mens room.
In the third stall from the door with your pants around your ankles.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Well of course I don't understand because I don't my time machine, yet.

Maybe you don't understand my analogy, he would be wherever the last machine took him.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electricneo

Thanks for that. I laughed my a$$ off.

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Xeven]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
If you travel back in time, and you speak about your parallel universe, do you say "your society HAS or HAD" ? Does it exist in this reality?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electricneo

Yeah, what he said - then again if it were a parallel universe maybe it would be the 300 level of the Kingdome.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Satyagraha

Neither, "Has" would be present and "Had" would be past.

[edit on 28-4-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This sounds like an old Dr. Who episode.

But I'd guess whatever space time you occupied, you'd be carried away with it.

But that'd be like me learning to speak Chinese, it's just not going to happen.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satyagraha
What would happen, if by chance, You use a Time machine to go into the future and where you landed was inside a slightly larger time machine, and then that time machine traveled into the future at the exact same time that your time machine landed inside it and that one landed, all by chance, in another larger one, so two time machines are now inside another larger one.

What would happen to the first guy? Where would he be?

Which dimension etc.

Which is why this time travelling nonsense is ridiculous.

You can't travel through time in a time machine. Those who think you can go anytime to the distant past and future have been watching too much sci-fi movies.

If time travel exist anywhere in this universe, this universe would self destruct and because of the chain rection that it could cause. Time is not manipulative.

If time travel exist we would know by now. Einstein implied that we can't travel through time in a non linear method by proving we can't travel faster than light . So those who think he's smarter than Einstein should go ahead and prove him wrong by inventing a time machine..... if you can't prove him wrong quit using the computer or live in a cave or something...

[edit on 30-4-2008 by Macrotus]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Why don't we build an undestroyable sort of memorial with written on it:"this is the first ever tourist destination for time travellers made by humankind", and then organize a great party to set it in some undestroyable place, and then welcome all the time tourists that would suddenlly appear there and then?

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantik

Why don't we build an undestroyable sort of memorial with written on it:"this is the first ever tourist destination for time travellers made by humankind", and then organize a great party to set it in some undestroyable place, and then welcome all the time tourists that would suddenlly appear there and then?

I'm going to do that. Going to build a huge, huge, huge 4 sided wall that is as tall as a medium skyscraper and length of 3 football fields. Which I'll all build on my land. I will make sure he can't escape by having no exit. And then have water flowed in to flush him out so they can't quickly get back in his time machine and teleport away, and this water flow then rings a bell to my house and i come out and capture him, then tie them up in my basement and beat him with a metal baseball bat. He will tell us how time travel works and then murder him and take his time machine and time travel into another universe. So we can make sure people like John Titor don't disappear and leave us all uncertain out here.

I think we have to take extreme violence to be able to get to the bottom of this. Or at least, I'll know it's for real because I'll go into time and there will be no trace.

How do we know that "serial killer in america across the states" where bodies have been found drowned, arn't part of people capturing time travelers, and there's no connection, only the fact that these people have worked out how to time travel, but taking the machine and murdering the people and drowning them. Someone give the detectives on this case my username, because I could expand a lot more on this.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
There are no parallel universes, there's absolutely no scientific evidence to support that sensational theory. On the same token, time travel is an equally sensational and equally unsupported theory.

However, as long as we're just speculating here, basing our conclusions on pseudo-science, at best, then we should first agree that technological time travel entails creating a new universe in which your Time Machine exists, separate from "real time," essentially a micro-universe with its own physical laws and, accordingly, its own Time...which runs forward or backward relative to "real time"... Whew. That's a huge technological order.

Next thing to consider is this: In defying "real time," you're also defying "real space" — meaning that you're no longer subject to the physical laws of the "real universe"... That includes Gravity. So, there is no way that your Time Machine can adhere to the surface of the Earth. In essence, your Time Machine is going to pull over and park on the shoulder on the highway of existence, as the ever-expanding "real universe" roars past you.

Point is, as soon as you activate your time warp or temporal event generator or whatever you want to call it, you can kiss the Earth goodbye. You won't ever be seeing it again.

When you re-enter the "real universe" a few minutes later, you may be surprised to find yourself totally lost in interstellar space, with no recognizable constellations to assist your best navigation attempts. This is just one downside of time travel.

Now, since you're hopelessly lost in the Void, the only way you're going to re-enter normal space/time and find yourself inside another Time Machine is if, by some miracle of coincidence, you materialize inside the Time Machine of another intelligent alien species, who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

One of the first things you learn in physical science is that 2 objects can't occupy the same space simultaneously. We're talking about atoms here — your atoms, your machine's atoms, suddenly crowding into a space already occupied by, let's say, the atoms of the atmosphere inside the Alien Time Machine. As soon as your Time Machine materializes...nuclear fission, or worse. Nobody wins.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
For those who did not get the point, I'll explain it in simplest terms possible.

Earth moves, galaxies move and solar system moves. All the time, at very very high speeds. If you turn on your time machine and go one year back or one year forward, you will end up in interstellar space because ground below you is at that point in some another coordinates. With luck you do not end up inside a sun, asteroid or some other object which then because of that explodes in some manner.

IF we take away movement of galaxies, stars and everyting else except earth's rotation around the Sun, you will have to travel with intervals consistent with that rotation to end up with ground below you. Half a year will bring you into a situation where earth is at opposite side of the Sun.

That is only so if you take into account vertical movement only. If by a chance earth rotates around Sun without moving even a millimeter horizontally, you are being lucky. If ground happens to be one millimeter higher at that next point (one year later), then those atoms of your time machine will occupu the same space with atoms in ground and you will end up being in an atomic explosion or something else that will definitely kill you.

If you do this in interstellar space you may actually be lucky and not to encounter a single hydrogen atom in exact same space with your time machine. You would still be hopelessly lost in the void. Vacuum has a definitio of being empty, but real space is not empty. There is matter out there, but very little of it. Do not confuse definitions with situations in real life and world.

[edit on 1/5/08 by rawsom]

[edit on 1/5/08 by rawsom]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satyagraha
I don't think you understand how time travel works.

His time machine would be in another parallel universe compared to the parallel universe he would have been in if he had landed on an open field instead of another time machine which traveled at the exact same time, by chance.

We cant time travel yet m8, so you dont know how it works..if it works either.

Project rainbow/ philadelhia project is the only thing ive herd of with time travel and a few theroys that Einstien had. But once again, no ones botherd having ago of recreating somthing similar.

but still , a nice what if question

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
If we could travel in time lets just say backwards.

We dissapear from the place we were aperntly. And re-apear in the same place but howeverong ago.

What if long ago in the place you were was say, ermm, there was once a tree. Right in the middle. What happens then? Do you die and never come back cos its like the trees went right through you?Are we just fusedto the tree?

A good question when thinking about how to do timetravel.

Personaly i thnk time travel into past and future isnt possible.
Howver i have a different view on the time it takes to travel across a certian time. If that makes sence.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by MarktheSkepticUK]

new topics

top topics

join