It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Police To Use M4 Carbines

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Chicago Police To Use M4 Carbines

www.blacklistednews.com

CHICAGO — Chicago Police Superintendent Jody Weis has plans to equip the department's officers with M4 carbines to match the firepower of the street gangs they have to face to stop the wave of shootings in the city.
Weis' decision to arm and train his 13,500 officers with more powerful weapons was disclosed Friday.

Chicago Police SWAT teams are already equipped with M4 carbines, but rank-and-file officers are currently only allowed to carry handguns.

The M4 is a short assault rifle used by the Marine Corps, and it fires more shots in less time than most handguns. The fully automatic version can fire up to 1,000 rounds a minute, although the magazines only hold from 20 to 30 shots.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
So first it started with the NYC Subway

Then we have the MA police using black uniforms to instill "fear"

Now we have 13,500 Chicago Police officers toting M4 Carbine rifles. Under the excuse they are outgunned by the gangs. Well now the police get better weapons, the gangs get better weapons. Maybe the solution lies with improving the life of the inner city kids who find gangs as an outlet because they arent provided the same opportunities as others.

Police State Underway....

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by BluByWho
Maybe the solution lies with improving the life of the inner city kids who find gangs as an outlet because they arent provided the same opportunities as others.

That perception is half the problem, mate.

They do have the opportunity, but there are members of society who don't want them to see that they have it - because if they don't, they turn into stooges.

Which is why we end up with kids who do really damn well in education who end up dead because of it.

Anyway, on your original point - What's next, military-grade chemical warfare?

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
problem reaction solution in a nutshell.

they allow the illegals in thru birth rights etc. the kids grow up selling drugs the cia brought in then they bust em for it and the crime rate goes up from illegals. and then they need more guns.

they created this problem.

how about we do something about illegals which are 99% of the drug traffickers in the country and the crime will drop gangs will disapate which are also 70% illegals.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by BluByWho
Now we have 13,500 Chicago Police officers toting M4 Carbine rifles. Under the excuse they are outgunned by the gangs.

Y'know, living in Chicago for over a year now, and living within 75 miles of it most of my life, I can't recall for the life of me the last time Chicago cops got into a knock-down, drag-out firefight with heavily-armed gang members. I keep hearing how well gangs are armed, yet I never hear about them doing drive-by's with AK-47's, taking out cop cars with .50 rifles, or spraying whole city blocks with MAC 10's.

This is not a bad Hollywood action movie.

Gangs are not packing or using military weaponry on a daily basis.

Anyone know the last time a Chicago cop was actually shot in the line of duty and killed, and what weapon was used in the murder?

Well now the police get better weapons, the gangs get better weapons.

If they didn't have the big guns before, they sure as Hell will now.

Maybe the solution lies with improving the life of the inner city kids who find gangs as an outlet because they arent provided the same opportunities as others.

Nah. Easier to spend a few hundred thousand buying military weapons for the cops, training them in their use, and hoping they forget those guns are in their trunks when they're drunk off their fat lard-@$$e$ at two in the morning and the bartender cuts 'em off.

Actually educating children and preparing them for a good, productive future is expensive. It requires real effort. So much easier to escalate the violence and just shoot them dead.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BluByWho

i agree with you ...but that defeats the purpose of a police state. you have to have escalating fear, backed by escalating force...it's in the manual

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWOmaskedman
they created this problem.

how about we do something about illegals which are 99% of the drug traffickers in the country and the crime will drop gangs will disapate which are also 70% illegals.

Or just legalize the drugs and instantly eliminate the black market that feeds the whole flippin' machine.

I don't believe your numbers on illegals and drug trafficking; I'd like to see a source on that.

As for stopping illegal immigration if you clamp down on the corrupt businesses who hire them, and shut them down and put their owners in jail, the jobs will dry up and illegals will stop coming here to rape our economy.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

What's next, military-grade chemical warfare?

Maybe tanks and armoured vehicles instead of cops cars?
And apaches instead of cop helis.

Time to overpower the so called 'gangs'

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is just a bad move period. Giving the average cop a rifle that penetrates walls and cars is poor planning at best. And they use these where? in neighborhoods where people live? bad move.

Let try giving our boys body armor that really works, Drum shotguns so they can select very easily between lethal and non lethal bean bag and gas responses. Allow them the use of flechettes and meteor rounds, to counter being out gunned. Give them the tools they need to do the job but don't force them to be soldiers. Let the guard do that stuff.

And what ever happened to hiring enough cops to actually meet the crime needs?

Volume needs to meet volume, not an escalation of violence. This won't play very good with the people and lawyers that are just itching to sue, on overreacting cops who were given the wrong rifle.

CX

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Word of warning, when i open that news source link, i get a virus warning from my anti-virus software.

CX.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This is a direct result of the "war on drugs" which created an environment for these gangs to grow and thrive. The illicit (and lucrative) drug trade is the only reason the gangs are as bad as they are. If drugs were legalized, much of the crime associated with the drug culture would disappear. The present system only serves to give the outlaws power.

Remember how well alcohol prohibition worked? So well that the constitutional amendment prohibiting alcohol was quickly repealed due the the ILLEGAL TRADE that had sprung up to fill in the gap left by the law. People will always want to get intoxicated. The gov could make this country a lot safer by legalizing all drugs, regulating and taxing them. Then there would no longer be an incentive for the gangs.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I never understood how more guns were supposed to keep cops safe from attackers. "Gangs" aren't going around actively targeting and engaging police with very few and random exceptions of lunatics and even if they were actively engaging the police in firefights a gun isn't going to protect the cops. Sure there are times when a rapid fire weapon would be used to create covering fire for an officer fleeing or moving but that alone does not protect anyone.

Maybe more guns would curb crime if the police actually shot to kill criminals rather than arresting them and sending off for a year or two to hang out with their buddies and become more cruel and hardened criminals.

I love guns and I love the M4 platform and if anyone wants one they should be able to get one no strings attached but the reasoning they are stating behind the purchase is idiotic. If they just said "we all want M4's because they're great guns" I'd get behind that but trying to justify it to me in such a stupid way is frankly insulting.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BluByWho

I sincerely believe this is preparation for possible civil disorder. Brought on by the world wide economic crises. Brought on by the fact that oil fields
are going dry. Food and everything else is going to sky rocket. They are getting ready for martial law!

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The M4 is a nice unit, but not for the city. I would feel much better if we supplied a quality long barrel version of the MP-5 with high grade sights and lasers mounted. Its just a much safer unit, than the high power rifle cartridge.

That .223 ammo probably has the "Danger 2 miles" warning on the box and thats all a lawyer needs is to hold up a box in front of a jury and pass it down the line so they can all read what it says. Its just not the kind of round for the job.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Lets put this on the believe it when I see it list. I work downtown Chicago, the police carry 6 shot .38's.

We will see if they actually do start carrying these guns. BTW, go around the near south side of the city by the Museum of Science and Industry around 10 P.M. and just listen. The sound of automatic weapons fire can be heard on most nights.

Oh and for those who question about Chicago, no the police aren't in the shootings, but maybe this will shed some light on the subject.

abclocal.go.com.../local&id=6091348

CHICAGO (WLS) -- In a show of force from Chicago Police officers have hit the streets on a particularly violent weekend.

At least six people have been shot to death and more than two dozen others wounded in shootings since Friday afternoon in Chicago.

At one point, 18 shootings had occurred in 17 hours. It was just one snapshot in time, and a police spokesperson says it's not indicative of an uptick in crime

Prosecutors have charged 39-year-old Bennie Teague of Chicago for the murder of Marcus Hendricks and with attempted murder for allegedly shooting at police. Police took the suspect into custody Saturday, but not before the man allegedly opened fire on police, unloading 17 shots from an AK-47.

I hope you all noticed that the weapon used was an AK-47.

Maybe before having a knee jerk reaction you should do a little checking and see just what is actually happening.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by US Monitor
I hope you all noticed that the weapon used was an AK-47.

Maybe before having a knee jerk reaction you should do a little checking and see just what is actually happening.

I'm aware of the incident in question. But, my point is, giving cops who already have questionable reliability, credibility, and accountability military carbines will not stop incidents like this. Cops are not the ones being targeted in these kinds of attacks. The M4 is an assault weapon, pure and simple. If they were kicking down doors on gang hideouts and making mass arrests, sure. But that's what SWAT is for.

Cops with these weapons won't get there until it's too late to do much of anything.

The only use regular beat cops would nominally get from such weapons, aside from occasional training, would be to carry them around to intimidate the populace.

Frankly I'm of the opinion cops probably shouldn't be armed on a regular basis at all. It works fine in Britain. More training to defuse situations before they turn to violence will solve more problems. Police in America are undertrained, overworked, underpaid, and not supervised heavily enough. I am very uncomfortable around armed police, just for the fact there's someone with a gun in my presence.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by US Monitor

The point is 13,500 officers armed with military grade weaponry will be within city limits. That is a small army. Not to mention the weapons of choice are assault rifles. Cops get in a shootout with these "gang" members, with bullets capable of penetrating multiple surfaces flying about endangering the lives of every single person around said weapons. As an above poster suggested a highly accurate MP5 or any other type of SMG would be a better decision. High rate of fire, good range, and a bit less dangerous. An MP5 in the hands of every police officer would be overkill IMO as well.

So they are gonna have police officers toting M4's at rush and division at 2-4am when the bars close, just in case someone wants to get into a fight they have the knockdown power they need? I mean come on man be reasonable, tasers have proved to be pretty effective.

We arent talking about a portion of the police department, we are talking about equipping every single police officer with a military grade assault rifle.

In regards to the south side, maybe they should assign a TASK FORCE (think a few hundred officers) to that area, there is NO NEED for 13,500 Assault Rifles on the street.....NO NEED.

[edit on 28-4-2008 by BluByWho]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Like I said, we will have to wait and see if all the cops actually end up carrying these rifles. I highly doubt it, but if they do, I promise I will snap off pics and video with my cell and post them here.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Some other details about the proposal:

www.chicagotribune.com...

The city's police officers carry pistols, and Daley suggested they will start carrying "M4 rifles."

Police spokeswoman Monique Bond said the department still is working out details about the M4 carbines.

"It's very preliminary. It's really under review. It is something being reviewed. As far as all of the logistics, the training component, might be premature to discuss it at this point," Bond said.

Daley pointed out that the Illinois State Police, Chicago SWAT units and other police departments around the country already carry high-powered assault weapons. He said the weapons will better match the Chicago police officers against criminals with sophisticated weapons, such as high-powered assault rifles.

"We're finding out that the weapons of criminals are getting bigger and bigger, AK47s, all types of different weapons, because they can carry assault weapons, it's not a violation of federal law, and that is a concern for all of us," he said.

Seems like nothing has even been determined. Rather it is being reviewed, not a definite by any means.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It's interesting Daley notes such weapons are "not a violation of Federal law" but he quietly omits the fact that Cook County's gun laws do expressly prohibit said weapons. Maybe instead of arming the rank-and-file with military weapons Hizzoner should be working with County authorities to enforce the laws already on the books?

I'm just sayin'.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join