It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pioneer Internet Has a Monopoly & is Rationing Internet Access

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Here is something I wished I had though of sooner. Back when I had dial up I was only getting half of what I was paying for. I ran new phone line from my computer to the phone company box on the side of the house. It doubled my speed. Check the phone in your house. It could be that simple.

Yes, it could be that simple.

You also want to look for bad DSL filters.
A lightning strike can leave one damaged, but still working enough that the phone seams to work fine, but it is messing up the DSL link.

Having a filter before all the non DSL wiring in the house will help the S/N ratio too.
All the non DSL wires that the DSL signal is not diverted down, will mean more signal gets to the modem.

The way I have it at my house, I have the DSL/phone splitter right in the service box.
The phone side goes to all the house wiring.
The DSL side goes on an unbroken cable all the way to the DSL modem. That saved a good 10 db of S/N link margin.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Your in house wiring and line to the box has a huge effect on your speed.

Pioneer recently got iPhones and you cannot stream video without being choppy on the phones. I would say this shows the entire pioneer network is limited in some way. Even sitting next to a tower with complete full bars on the phone you cannot stream YouTube videos.

I just might get a t1 into my house and skip pioneer. It's 200 a month but home Internet service would be extremely better. It would also be a good comparison . If the 1.5 Mbps is faster then pioneer 6 Mpbs then there is some serious limitations placed by pioneer.

Also, I was under the impression that dal is a partial T1 and is NOT shared by your neighbors. The digital subscriber line is yours all the way to the co, or central office which is then shared by everyone connected to that co. If you have new lines and still slow then pioneer is surely rationing and telling you they are not.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Michaeljayclark

I recently learned what they do. They direct youtube videos to certain ports and then throttle the streams to those ports. Hence the reason that any youtube watched on Pioneer internet or cell phone is throttled.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I live only 6 miles from the Pioneer Main Office. About 5 miles outside of town, and I can barely get 3mb speed. I used to have Cox cable where I lived, and had much higher Internet speed, til pioneer bought them out and closed the office and removed it. So yes it is a monopoly. All places I have called about wired internet have told me, they basically have the area locked down and cant offer service in this area. Satallite internet is a joke, you pay for x amount of internet a month and if you go over, you will pay a ton for it. If its bad weather, you lose the internet. So you have to deal with them, or suffer even worse.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join