It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia Tech Gun Dealer Offers Student Discount

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
i agree, not everyone should have a gun... however, those who want/need a gun should never be denied access to one (due to age, occupation, financial status, etc.), if they have the proper requirements (i.e. no felonies, and etc.)

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kelbtalfenek

Terrorism? No, Cho wasn't a terrorist. He was a sociopathic killer. Huge difference. Terrorists, by definition, have a goal to accomplish other than just the killing. Get off the Bush bandwagon and stop calling crime terrorism.

Terrorist, sociopathic killer what's the difference? Terrorist is a pretty vague term yet is thrown around by everyone in this country from our president to joe blow at the drive thru. Should we declare war on sociopaths??

Making a buck is a crime these days?

The point is it's in bad taste. Guns aren't that expensive. You can buy a firearm for a couple hundred bucks. If you really need cheaper weapons I would say that qualifies as impulsive behavior which means you're a possible sociopathic killer!

Nope. I'd rather have armed students.

Don't expect the trained police to deal with that situation any more carefully. We all know the story about the 41 bullets fired at a suspect with a deadly wallet.

Why have a police force at all? Let the FBI handle investigations, put up traffic cameras for traffic violations, and just arm every citizen to the teeth! Problem solved!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
reply to post by scientist

I don't hold my breath when I type so no blue faces here. The bottom line is everyone packing heat is a bad idea.

First, no one said everyone should have a gun. But take a look at what happens where people are allowed to carry weapons compared to where they aren't allowed to. The crime statistics posted on ATS so many times that anyone can go look them up for gthemselves if theyre still open minded enought to entertain the possiblitity that their assumptions might be wrong. The stats that show that violent crime decreases whenever concealed carry is allowed. A simpleton could understand why. The bad guys are basically cowards and they will move on to a place where they don't have to worry about their victims being able to fight back.

Look at the map I just posted above. Can you not see for yourself that the "gun free zones" (target rich environments) are where the mass killings happen?

People, if you are afraid of firearms, or don't want to be around them for some other reason, fine, by all means stay away from them. But please don't try to push your fears, etc. onto anyone else. Take care of yourself, man.

[edit on 4/24/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

reply to post by kelbtalfenek

The VaTech Police Department showed itself to be incompetent.

How did the Police Dept show themselves to b e incompetent? Police can only do so much.. You want a highly trained ex-seal police officer in every building on campus?

Well, for starters, they treated the first two killings as murder/suicide even though there was no gun found present at the scene. That alone sounds pretty incompetent to me. Then a while later when it dawns on them that there's no gun there, they still don't think there may be gunman on campus until the later killings.

I'd much rather have a gun and defend myself than depend on a bunch of cops to do it for me.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

The stats that show that violent crime decreases whenever concealed carry is allowed.

I definitely agree with you on the no gun zones centurion. Whackjobs aren't going to be stopped by a sign, but a law abiding citizen with a concealed weapon might.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

That alone sounds pretty incompetent to me. Then a while later when it dawns on them that there's no gun there, they still don't think there may be gunman on campus until the later killings.

I'd much rather have a gun and defend myself than depend on a bunch of cops to do it for me.

Why have a police force at all? Let the FBI handle investigations, put up traffic cameras for traffic violations, and just arm every citizen to the teeth! Problem solved!

I'm willing to try something else... are you? Good luck passing anything in a country with 50% conservatives and 50% libs. What we need is 100% thinkers!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

no, it seems more like you didn't understand how broad the context was of your own statement. Young people don't have money? I know plenty of college students that have way more expendable cash on hand to buy things than the typical adult family member.

So yes, raising prices to make it harder to buy a gun is classist -and it implies that only rich people know how to properly operate such a weapon.

Ok maybe it was a bit broad but also quite specific and simplistic in it's solution and its essence, maybe I would use the word 'biased' based on my own upbringing than 'classist' (is that even a word?) but that doesn't explain racist, does it?

I mean where did that come from?

People need to think before they speak, that is a major part of why this world and it occupants are in such a mess.

I don't believe I am off topic because I am still just drumming home my ideals on the subject, although I would like to add that 'gun control' is a joke.

There is no controlling guns!

There could be control over people with guns if you limit the guns though!

Oh! and I just checked it's 'classism' not classist:

Classism is the systematic oppression of subordinated classes of people by the dominant class.

Source: Wiki link

I would also like to add that I am at the lower end of the financial scale and am surprised to find myself with an opinion supported by a dominant class, I appologise if I have offended anyone with my post.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by xSMOKING_GUNx

I am not trying to be an antagonist to you or make any accusations of you being biased, but I must ask this.

Why is it important to keep guns out of the hands of young people? Young in this instance will be defined as the average college student age as that is what we are talking about here. As a college student, it does not offend me that you think this way, but I do disagree with you. I think there have been pleny of shooters of older age. Do you have any data on the ratio of young to old shooters?

Regards,

Aaron

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Aaron_Justin

No, no data!

The reason I believe I have this biased opinion, is although I was one of the more street wise people when I was at college and I had one on one firearm training every Wednesday for years at the Heathrow Met police range with my friends CID father around my college days, I don't think myself or any of the people I knew at the time were responsible or worldly wise enough to confidently or even intelligently carry a concealed handgun.

I expect there are more qualified and more intelligent students out there than me but I also know for sure there are a lot more that are nowhere near as educated too.

I have a great deal of empathy and always have, there are people out there that when I look in there eyes they have no compassion, no soul and they don't care about me or you.

That is all.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Keeping the guns away from law-biding college age people will only serve to get the young used to not having weapons. As the older, pro-2nd amendment folks die out, it'll make it much easier to outlaw guns completely.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Here's an update on the story..

The event was sponsored entirely by the student organization Students for Concealed Carry on Campus and was strongly opposed by the Tech administration.

source

Schmale later said she came to the lecture to represent the majority of students on campus who do not support carrying hidden guns,

There you go.. the majority of the students and the administration oppose it. I wonder why? Could the reason be that guns are killing devices. And by the way, I grew up in the country and shot guns and sympathize with responsible gun owners. But to be unbiased I have to state the facts right? Guns are killing devices. This dude wants to act sympathetic towards the university?? The guy wants to make a buck and he's selling firearms to young adults who are known to drink heavily and do drugs. I've been to a major university I know what goes on there!

[edit on 25-4-2008 by Scramjet76]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Schmale later said she came to the lecture to represent the majority of students on campus who do not support carrying hidden guns,

There you go.. the majority of the students and the administration oppose it. I wonder why? ... The guy wants to make a buck and he's selling firearms to young adults who are known to drink heavily and do drugs. I've been to a major university I know what goes on there!

[edit on 25-4-2008 by Scramjet76]

Based on one person claiming the majority of students you are willing to believe the majority of students are against it? That seems like a bit of a stretch. Now had Jessica Schmale had a petition or a list of names or something to back up her quote I might believe her. For all we know she may just be extremely anti-gun and is pushing an agenda she learned in her poli sci classes

I too have been on the campus of major universities and I did not see anyone doing drugs. Sure I had heard about it and I had seen some people drinking heavily but your statement gives the impression the majority of kids do drugs and drink heavily.

I had my fair share of alcohol when I lived in apartments on campus. I also kept a pistol, in seperate parts which could be assembled quickly in an emergency, and never had a single problem. I wasn't the olny person to keep a firearm either and there were no shootings. I still do not see any problem at all with trained, law abiding students having a gun on campus

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join