It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia Tech Gun Dealer Offers Student Discount

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Virginia Tech Gun Dealer Offers Student Discount

abcnews.go.com

The owner of an Internet-based firearms store that sold a gun to Virginia Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho says he is now offering a discount for students who want to carry guns on campus to protect themselves. The company, TGSCOM Inc., also sold two 9mm Glock magazines to Steven Kazmierczak, who killed five people at Northern Illinois University earlier this year.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wdbj7.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Federal Officials: At Least 32 Dead After Virginia Tech University Shooting
Virginia Tech shooting game hits the web, author refuses to take it off unless donations are made
"Gun Control is the Only Answer"

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Just the guy stepping on campus has become a controversy at Virginia Tech. Now he's offering to sell guns "at a discount and at a significant expense to myself" to students who may be on a tight budget.

Of course the company, TGSCOM Inc., claims it is offering students a chance to protect themselves. If you ask me, they are just another business trying to move their product quicker by capitalizing on the fears of young people who's emotions run high. Sad.

What a slap in the face for Virginia Tech. Another example of capitalism gone mad!

abcnews.go.com

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
You can look at both sides of this story and reasured and horrified.

Maybe guns should be more expensive so that no young people can afford them or maybe there should be free no lethal devices given to students like tazers rather than guns.

Im just rambling and undecided, dont realy know what to make of this article.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
After every school shooting Front Sight offers free tactical training to any educator/administrator in a school that will permit carry on school grounds. They also offered free training to any airline personnel after 9-11 working for airlines that would permit carry on planes.

This is only tasteless to the ignorants who still believe not only that "gun-free" zones are a reasonable measure but that in some mystical way they actually work.

Now how many shootings happen in "gun free" zones? Hmmm....

I would be jumping all over this discount if I could.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by xSMOKING_GUNx

Maybe guns should be more expensive so that no young people can afford them

This method of gun control is popular among racists and classists. After all we really can;t trust poor people with anything now can we?

It began with the Klan, it was popular enough to pass taxes and ban affordable firearms and it still continues today.

Can't trust those damn poor people. Nope.

Only rich white people should be legally allowed to own firearms.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

After every school shooting Front Sight offers free tactical training to any educator/administrator in a school that will permit carry on school grounds. They also offered free training to any airline personnel after 9-11 working for airlines that would permit carry on planes.

Bahh. Sorry but I've been to firing ranges around here to practice shooting a pistol with my friend. I got free 20 minute one on one instruction from the rangemaster. I also have fired my dad's pistols back when I was a kid (growing up).

I can tell you despite my experiences I'd still describe myself as very amateur with firearms. Unless you are a police officer, military type, or just a gun nut who practices (with firearms) weekly, a "safety training class" just doesn't cut it!!

I realize that "no gun zones" are a total joke and don't work, but I don't think every student (most of them inexperienced) reaching for their gun because of some "loud bang" they hear is the answer.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
This method of gun control is popular among racists and classists. After all we really can;t trust poor people with anything now can we?

I agree, not so much on the grounds of racism and classism (if that is a word) though I see where you are coming from, once become to expensive the poor and even some middle classers will not be able to exercise their 2nd amendment rights or even have decent means of protection. The will be forced to rely on the government for protection

I too would be hitting this discount up, I need a new Glock 29

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Why in the name of God would anyone want a Glock? Damn things feel like you're holding a toy. There's something to be said about handguns made of blued steel or chromed steel. When I draw my PPD I like knowing that someone hasn't secretly switched it for a supersoaker merely based on the heft and feel in my hand.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

I can tell you despite my experiences I'd still describe myself as very amateur with firearms. Unless you are a police officer, military type, or just a gun nut who practices (with firearms) weekly, a "safety training class" just doesn't cut it!!

I have to say, not trying to insult, it is somewhat of a fallacy to believe that both police officers and those in the military are all that experienced with weapons. I have a good buddy who is a SGT in the Army and one of the things he complains about the most is the lack of firearms training he has received. Sure he has lots of different weapons to work with but his shooting skills - with pistol and rifle - aren't all that impressive.

The same can be said about police officers. I have shot numerous times with cops and most were not all that decent of shots and also weren't all that experienced in tactics and the like. Granted I have also shot with a few cops who had amazing skills but the majority is under trained from what I have seen and heard

I do agree a safety training class doesn't cut and if a teacher or student wanted to carry a gun on campus they would have to qualify, in my opinion, on highe standards than a regular conceal and carry

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Unforgiven

Ok yeah I was making a general statement. Not all military servicemen have a lot of firearms training. I know a guy who was in the navy and received very minimal traning in that regard.

I do agree a safety training class doesn't cut and if a teacher or student wanted to carry a gun on campus they would have to qualify, in my opinion, on highe standards than a regular conceal and carry

Ok we agree on that.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
this is american business...so what's the problem? of course i'm kidding, but i didn't even feel shocked. o, by the way, the FDA said it will take at least 5 years to get up to speed on implimenting an efffective and thorough testing program for imported food and drugs...i watched the C-SPAN committee hearings on it the other day. guns might be moved down a few notches from the, "the many different ways to kill americans" list. why do i feel like i have several, red, round, circles on my back.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by jimmyx]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Maybe guns should be more expensive so that no young people can afford them

You have taken my statement completely out of context.

I am very offended that you would consider me Racist or Classist when I was talking about YOUNG PEOPLE.

Maybe guns should be more expensive so that no young people can afford them or maybe there should be free non lethal devices given to students like tazers rather than guns.

See just a simple solution sugestion refering to the typical finance of STUDENTS (In education and not working/earning) there is no mention of poor people, and presented for debate not attack^^

Racist indeed, how insulting, maybe you could read though the few hundred posts I have made since joining ATS and try and find one that would even fringe on racism, you wont find one, I garantee that!!

I love my fellow humans and treat everyone as an equal no matter what age, sex or race.

How dare you?

Maybe try concentrating on the topic and my real point which was:

You can look at both sides of this story and be reasured and horrified.

dont realy know what to make of this article.

Instead of insulting people!

S_G

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Here's the real truth on this whole subject:

Gun Laws Map

Notice how all the "massacres" like Virginia Tech have taken place in so-called "gun free zones"? The facts are all there for anyone to plainly see. There is no way to spin them differently.

So, once and for all - gun free zone does not = freedom from guns. It just means that only the bad guys and crazies will have the guns there. And they will be free to use them on you.

[edit on 4/24/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Here's the real truth on this whole subject:

Gun Laws Map

Notice how all the "massacres" like Virginia Tech have taken place in so-called "gun free zones"? The facts are all there for anyone to plainly see. There is no way to spin them differently.

[edit on 4/24/2008 by centurion1211]

Let me just say I absolutely giggled gleefully like a little schoolgirl when I saw they'd placed a little hammer & sickle Soviet flag onto the state of Illinois. Just recently Chicago has been in the news for having experienced dozens of ultra-violent unsolved murders just in the past few weeks. If there's a sure fire way to make Hell on Earth a reailty, it's to restrict the right of the lawfull American citizen to own & carry handguns.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by burdman30ott6]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

You have taken my statement completely out of context.

I am very offended that you would consider me Racist or Classist when I was talking about YOUNG PEOPLE.

no, it seems more like you didn't understand how broad the context was of your own statement. Young people don't have money? I know plenty of college students that have way more expendable cash on hand to buy things than the typical adult family member.

So yes, raising prices to make it harder to buy a gun is classist -and it implies that only rich people know how to properly operate such a weapon.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

What a slap in the face for Virginia Tech. Another example of capitalism gone mad!

abcnews.go.com

I completely disagree. Students should be allowed to arm themselves and protect themselves. The VaTech Police Department showed itself to be incompetent. Further, had there been an armed, educated and skilled student in the building, Cho could have been stopped earlier-before he killed so many.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kelbtalfenek

Oh c'mon this guy Thompson is capitalizing on the fears of terrorism. I'ts obviously not very difficult to obtain a weapon seeing as how this internet based firearms store has sold to two different killers at this point. Every student has access to the internet. If you want to "feel safe" then arm yourself to the teeth, there's nothing stopping you. But Thompson is just trying to make a buck, make no mistake about it!!

The VaTech Police Department showed itself to be incompetent.

How did the Police Dept show themselves to b e incompetent? Police can only do so much.. You want a highly trained ex-seal police officer in every building on campus?

Further, had there been an armed, educated and skilled student in the building, Cho could have been stopped earlier-before he killed so many.

And I agree with you there. Unfortunately it's another "what if" statement. What if a student brings a bb gun to school for a prank and suddenly you got a bunch of panicking untrained students pulling guns out of their backpacks??... all it takes is one of them to not have the safety on....

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

argue about it all you want, until you are blue in the face. The bottom line is, he's providing forms of protection (guns) at a good deal. If you are anti-gun, take it up with your favorite democrat. Don't blame this guy for throwing a sale on a legal item.

I am much more appalled by the cost of sugar filled soda vs cost of water. Now THATS exploitation that I abhor.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

reply to post by kelbtalfenek

Oh c'mon this guy Thompson is capitalizing on the fears of terrorism.

Terrorism? No, Cho wasn't a terrorist. He was a sociopathic killer. Huge difference. Terrorists, by definition, have a goal to accomplish other than just the killing. Get off the Bush bandwagon and stop calling crime terrorism.

I'ts obviously not very difficult to obtain a weapon seeing as how this internet based firearms store has sold to two different killers at this point. Every student has access to the internet. If you want to "feel safe" then arm yourself to the teeth, there's nothing stopping you. But Thompson is just trying to make a buck, make no mistake about it!!

Making a buck is a crime these days?

How did the Police Dept show themselves to b e incompetent? Police can only do so much.. You want a highly trained ex-seal police officer in every building on campus?

How about issuing warnings, then rescinding those warnings, not sealing down the campus soon enough... Do I want an ex-seal cop? Nope. I'd rather have armed students. Cops aren't there to prevent crime, they're there to mop up the mess and investigate it.

And I agree with you there. Unfortunately it's another "what if" statement. What if a student brings a bb gun to school for a prank and suddenly you got a bunch of panicking untrained students pulling guns out of their backpacks??... all it takes is one of them to not have the safety on....

True, but I would hope that this "student" would know that pulling such a prank could end up with him getting killed. Common sense works both ways. Don't expect the trained police to deal with that situation any more carefully. We all know the story about the 41 bullets fired at a suspect with a deadly wallet.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

I don't hold my breath when I type so no blue faces here. The bottom line is everyone packing heat is a bad idea. I'm not willing to go as far as advocating a ban on firearms. But you are unwise to deny human nature. Considering how emotional/hormonal youth are and with the added uncertainty facing them in today's world, I think it's unwise to be handing firearms out to everyone with the notion that some "firearms safety class" is going to make everything ok. The way I see it is we are just a few more bad massacres away from having school/college campus movement severely restricted. Can you imagine a campus environment with scanners and checkpoints everywhere like an airport??

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join