It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Rations Rice, Warns of Supply Concerns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Wal-Mart Rations Rice, Warns of Supply Concerns

Link to article

Wal-Mart, the world’s largest retailer, said Wednesday that it would ration the amount of rice each customer can purchase at its Sam\'s Club warehouse stores because of recent “supply and demand trends.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-4-2008 by bismarcksea]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Fixed the link!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

Well it is good to know that even as the world begins starving America will not be over consuming on their staple crop.

(by the way when you put in the link, first it prompts you for a title, put in a title, then copy the link on the next page, not copying on both prompts.)

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Cost-co is also implementing rationing.

groups.google.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This is some scary stuff. How far the shoe will drop is the big question on my mind.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Well we American's don't live off of rice.. so it won't effect us..

And I just bought some really good steaks for $5 on sale each, and a pound of pork chops for tomorrow night and that only cost me $4 .. gimmie some tatters and a salad and I think I will be just fine...

And look.... no rice. (though I DO like fried rice with my pork chops... ohh looks like I have some in the cupboard..)

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Crude oil is about to hit $120 a barrel.

Now, rice is being rationed. Rice!

Yet, most Americans STILL don't care. They're still listening to the "we're having a mild recession" crap from the MSM. They're too wrapped up in their own lives.

There is a DARK CLOUD on the horizon and it's movin' this way.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

$894 a metric ton according to the Thai Rice Exporters Association. That’s compared to the $327.25 a ton average price in the same month last year.

That's a huge increase! They say a poor harvest but this has a conspiracy written all over it, the NWO does want to lower population.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Not to mention theres a wheat crisis.Wheat crisis video

Its gonna get really ugly soon.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Just heard that Brazil is planning on halting rice exports. The only thing I can find abou it is this.The bloomberg article says may, but on the newsfeed from my trading platform it sounded like it was a done deal on stopping exports.

The speed and depth in which this is moving is concerning. Carribean, Asia, Africa, and South America all having food related incidents. As usual, it's alot of different things having an effect on food prices: demand, emerging middle class in India/China, ethanol, crop failure, weather, transportation costs, fuel input costs, and probably some I haven't thought of.The phrase perfect storm, is getting terribly cliched right now. I mean hell how many perfects storms can be going on at the same time. Peak Oil, regardless of what you believe about that, most would agree that there is little to no excess capacity in either the raw supply or in refined product. The financial crisis is a Cat 5 that everyone is trying to say is just a nasty Tropical Storm. Now we have a serious situation in food prices. Any of these three by themselves could cause serious problems, but with all three hitting almost concurrently, there is a possibillity of rapid and extreme change in stabillity globally.

Interesting times ahead I'm sure.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by jefwane]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

I saw a story on the news (ABC w/Charles Gibson), that India and Indonesia, two large rice exporters have basically stopped exporting it. Now it appears Brazil is going to do the same, which will obviously further affect the supply of rice and driving up the price. The story also mentioned the Philippines cracking down on rice hoarders and implementing life sentences in prison, if convicted.

This can get really ugly really quick, since it's such a food staple of countries world wide, mostly the Third World.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
We are getting a lot of dis info on the topic here. People spouting that its no big deal without doing any research.

What happened to the Aussie rice crop?

What is wheat rust and how did it destroy wheat crops on two continents?

How much total grain stock does the entire world possess? Right now all nations combined?

Answer those questions and you will know this little shudder in the rice market is the foreshadow of next falls prices when we know how many crops survive and do not fail.

This is you tip people. Listen to the people poo pooing this and you will be left on the outside. If you don't consume rice you better be stocking the grain cerials you do consume before they are the next spotlight in the media.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by Illahee]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
the part of me that's trying to keep a level head is telling me that this is being blown out of proportion. the other part of me is panicking a little.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I normally eat maybe 10 pounds of rice a year. The rest of my grain diet is whole grain bread, pasta, and corn tortillas. Now that winter is over I would think American food crops will start coming on again and maybe lower prices? What if we have bumper crops this year?

I think there is alot of speculation driving prices up and maybe some stockpiling is exacerbating the situation.

Remember, it is now the growing season in the temperate Northern Hemisphere.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by an0maly33
the part of me that's trying to keep a level head is telling me that this is being blown out of proportion. the other part of me is panicking a little.

Don't listen to me or anyone else here. Some are ignorant and some are lying and deceiving.

Do the research I mentioned and decide what is best for you and your family.

Don't panic. Shop wisely. Don't buy up any stock you don't normally eat, unless you intend to barter it later.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
I normally eat maybe 10 pounds of rice a year. The rest of my grain diet is whole grain bread, pasta, and corn tortillas. Now that winter is over I would think American food crops will start coming on again and maybe lower prices? What if we have bumper crops this year?

I think there is alot of speculation driving prices up and maybe some stockpiling is exacerbating the situation.

Remember, it is now the growing season in the temperate Northern Hemisphere.

It is indeed very possible that we will have bumper crops. What no one is taking into account is we need bumper crops every year from now on to meet population growth. If we get a regular or lower yield this year its going bad fast. If we bumper on all continents, we stay even till the next off year. A good season will only put it off for a year.

We need to up the worlds reserves to 40 weeks to see a real good drop in pricing. Right now we have 8-12 weeks total world supply and that will drop dramatically when we begin to ship to starving nations. I would like to see more than 2-4 weeks total world supply in reserve.......Talk about living paycheck to paycheck.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Like someone else mentioned earlier, the rationing at Costco, Sams-Club and Walmart are not all that concerning because rice isn't really a staple of the American diet. The fact that China, Egypt, Indonesia...etc have all stopped exporting it should be worrisome. Lots of people will starve to death if they no longer have access to rice.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

That is quite true. we have a lot of rice and don't consume that much as a nation. Our rice is expensive though. Better quality and less toxics in the process. Its the total world volume of reserve cereal stocks that is triggering the country to country shift in import and export.

Problem is unless you alternate buttered rice with potatos like i do that excess in rice does us no good at all.

Interesting fact. The rice grown in California has a sticky starchy quality found in no other rice crop. It is mixed with other rice at 23% to make it sticky enough for sushi and other shaped rice dishes.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

OK I get it now. The rising oil prices are probably going to make industrial farming, as we practice it, more expensive leading to higher food prices. That was what had me concerned. I didn't realize the reserves were at the levels they are. Living in the US I am not too concerned about finding food to eat even if I have to grow and fish and hunt it myself.

Now I just need a good recipie for squirrel.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I have 2 giant bags of rice I bought from Sam's,little did I know I could triple my money selling it on the black market,or perhaps some prem fuel lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join