It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Communcations Blackout... How to talk to others

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Everyone is talking about food, water, arms, etc.

BUt what about communications with others locally and world wide?

Sorry, I just don't any other more to say.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ihavenoidea

Get a paper, get a pen, get a horse, then ride into the wild. It's worked before. It may work again.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I think older radios without IC and computer chips are best. A ShortWave/ MW unit, a C.B. radio, and a HAM rig.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by hoppy]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'd pick a wall of a building in a well-trod part of town and leave an 'ATS' tag along with a 6-digit OS map grid reference as a meeting point ie: 142:036

an additional 3-digit string could be added to include a specific date to meet at the location point in 'number of days from 01 jan' ie: 0-365, and a meet for today would be 114....as in the number of days from newyears day to today's date (23 april)

So if we were in a sit-x environment, i'd leave a tag reading:

ATS 142:036:114

would anyone else figure that out if they saw it?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Personally I would tattoo a pigeons beak and give it an IP address... lol

But with today's networks it's very hard to imagine 'total' communications failure, sure you might have to be inventive. Would be useful getting used to WiFi protocols, I've heard WPA and WEP is fairly straight forward to crack if you know what your doing (not that I do that at all.. muhaha
)

Wonder how much sat phones cost??

But really you would have to know the reason you have to communicate with person X, decide what methods are available and if it's really worth it - no point sending nicety's when you have to organise a local group just to find something to eat.

Look at military methods pre radio, thats a good place to start.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

I wouldn't have a clue what that secret code would be all about.
I would recognize the ATS part.... but there are NOT numbers on the ground to tell a person WHERE on some imagined grid you are......so only persons with a GPS would know this and if the GPS is down nobody would know....
( I know the grid is NOT 'imaginary' but in a way it is as you have to IMAGINE where this grid would be according to satalite information of the IMAGINED superimposed lines)

Whats wrong with using an actual date for a date? More people aere going to recognize 03-03-13 than what your proposing.
To me it sounds like your ONLY wanting to leave a note for one VERY code minded person............

[edit on 22-4-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
the idea would be to communicate first with any fellow ATS'ers...whilst it would just look like an IP address or jibberish to others, I bet there'd be others who would figure it out...kinda like the fish symbol used by early Christians to communicate their presence to others in the community whilst living under Roman rule...all that's extra is the info on where and when to meet

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
.so only persons with a GPS would know this and if the GPS is down nobody would know....

Oh dear... may I suggest you either learn to read an OS map (OS= ordinance survey, the gold seal of maps, at least here in the UK) OR you invest in a life times supply of batteries for your GPS. (and a donkey to carry them
)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
In a war or mass civil upheaval situation the GPS signal will in all liklihood be switched to military-use only, rendering any civilian digital navigation gadgets useless

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

In a war or mass civil upheaval situation the GPS signal will in all liklihood be switched to military-use only, rendering any civilian digital navigation gadgets useless

not really we have our own computer system to encrypt our gps the regular civi system will still work.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by v.i.p.e.r
o really we have our own computer system to encrypt our gps the regular civi system will still work.

You would need to decrypt the signals fro the sat's - after all they were launched in the 'encrypt' mode - it's only when the US decided to turn off the encryption then the boom in personal GPS took hold.

Mind you the encrypt is old and with something like GPS you could collect millions of packets to run your attack on - someone would do it... Probably one of the reasons it was made open.

I wonder what level the original encrypt was?? 128? higher/lower

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I'd probably just find a longbow and fire messages at people from the cover of darkness, all medieval style.

An ATS user can expect to find the letters ATS written in High tower followed by the words "If you would like to meet, hold your position for one hour, if your party exhibits any hostile or suspicious activity, consider this a warning".

Naturally, i'll be able to tell an ATS user by whether or not he's hunched over a laptop typing furiously in an attempt to grasp some sort of understanding of the situation.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Amateur radio is considered a service, and amateur radio operators (Hams) are given the privilege to use valuable spectrum to refine their skills and be available to provide communications services if all other modes of communication fail. I have been a licensed ham for over 15 years and have been able to make voice contacts worldwide using a 5-watt radio Yaesu FT-817 and a simple homebrew antenna

Using digital modes such as CW (morse code), PSK31, or packet can increase your communication abilities and reduce your power output and also decrease the power required to run the radio. Take a look into QRP.

The added bonus to having a simple HF QRP set-up is that you also have a highly sensitive worldwide shortwave receiver and AM broadcast band reciever. If secrecy and keeping a low profile are requirements to your installation, do a search on 'stealth antennas'. Hams have been highly successful at circumventing restrictive covenants and antenna restrictions. More than one flag pole out there is actually an antenna.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jankopernik

Okay, I'll look into that.

But what are the benefits of having such a communication system to your survival?

Stealth is alway key to something like this, but how to you go about getting ham qualified?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ihavenoidea

Regarding the benefits of communications to your survival strategy, I guess I'd have to ask what are your communication goals? Do you wish to exchange information with others, or do you want to monitor what's going on? If you want to monitor, then a receiver is all you need with either a vertical antenna or a longwire antenna.

If you do indeed wish to exchange information, the getting your ham 'ticket' (license) would be the correct way to go. I'll make the assumption that you are in the US. Check out this site for more info regarding ham radio in the US and how to get licensed. The licensing process requires that you pass an exam. The preparation for the exam, and successfully passing the exam is what qualifies you as a ham.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
My go to and fro work backpack is my BOB. In it I have my cell phone of course. Be very careful how you use this tool in a end of the world instance. It may not even work. Cell phones do not work simplex but through a intermediate control tower or towers combination. This could be risky. Your number and your name/address will show up on computer records...you may not want this fingerprint running around.

I also bring daily with me my 2 meter/440 HT. I keep it charged up regularly and switch it out occasionally with my second dual band HT.
Great thing about these is they can either simplex or duplex. My second HT is kept right here next to this laptop..on the ready line. I will switch it out occasionally with the one in my daily BOB.

Two different antennas I carry for this tool. A standard Diamond dual band antenna and also a longer range telescoping antenna also dual band.

These walkie talkies can phone patch...which makes them nice. However ..depending on the survival situation I would also be reluctant to use this feature as it goes through an intermediate tower...duplexing.

Also have a AM/FM Cassette player. Also my Grundig Mini PE 100 shortwave. All of these tools have been selected with size and battery usage in mind. They both take AA batterys and I always try to keep at least two extra batterys ...if not a four pack with me at all times.
Ear Phones or ear buds do not take up much space at all..when you need to be quiet.

Mag lite is standard with my pack..AA battery type..LED bulbs instead of the regular issue types. Also several disposable BIC type lighters. These lighters are cheap and have no real shelf life to them. Buy them in the multi packs at most stores. They are cheap..why not???"

I always carry a small assortment of food..mostly dried stuff like trail/fruit mixor a 6-pack of snickers bars. The idea being that if necessary ...I can walk home the 8 to 10 miles from work and be somewhat self sustaining. Water is the problem. It has weight.

An extra pair of socks is nice too. A couple of days of walking and you will think about killing for a clean dry pair of socks. LOL LOL. I have walked this distance 8 to 10 miles home from work at night pushing my broken down moped. YOu are worn out upon arrival. It was nice to have water and a snack. In a survival situation you may be dodging police and civil workers too..meaning you must take a longer more indirect route home or to your destination. Make plans for this scenerio...take out a map and plan an alternate indirect route home...in case you must walk. Or to relatives or friends if this is your solution. Preparation is key here.
My plans are to head to my parents house and check on them..then consider going home to my place.

Well you get the idea. You can figure out these things if you think and apply yourself. It took about a year to round out my BOB ..piece by piece..update by update.
Communications gear was only one aspect of it. An important aspect and not used often but in a survival situation...it may be core in importance when the you know what hits the fan.

These family radios are becoming popular and the range on them is improving significantly. I have a set of them but dont count on them in a survival situation. I prefer my dual band Handy Talkies(walkie talkies)

AT home I have a base station with an HF rig and wire loop antennas. Also a 2 meter base station with a home made J-pole antenna.

My truck also has a Yaesu FT100D multi band radio. Several antennas covering 80 meters to 70 centimters. Once again this includes phone patchs for the higher frequency bands..and once again use discretion in how one uses this in a survival situation. Same with any two way radio for that matter. Up to you folks as to how much discretion is in order as per the situation.
All my HF ham radios also have the Citizens Band working in them both Transmit and Receive.

Think it through..you can solve the communications problem with some thinking and dicipline.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Thanks,
Orangetom

top topics

join