It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Sigthing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Hello My name is Chris and i live in central ohio
earlier tonight (4/21/2008) around 10 pm on my drive home i saw something in the sky.
I will describe it in detail while my memory is fresh. It was between 5 and 6 amber colored lights in a close line. They moved as though connected... in the same manner as a snake slithers. I only saw them briefly (about 10 seconds at a time).
They stayed in apparently the same place in the sky but maintained this sort of wave like motion for about 7 seconds. Then they curled into a circle and faded out.
I saw this phenomena three times in a period of about 15 minutes. The first time it was not in my direct field of view so I cannot say for sure it was the same thing. But the last 2 times i had a direct line of sight.
The altitude of the objects is difficult to guess becuase the horizon was dark... but i would gauge the altitude to be approximatley 2000 - 18000 feet. It appeared much lower than the commercial airliners I usually see.
here is a map showing where i was and where i saw it. Note that dayton is in the field of view for the 2nd and 3rd sightings (location of KFFO Wright pat...)
maps.google.com...

I apologize if this isnt the correct way to post this but i am hopping to see if anyone else saw this?

[edit on 22-4-2008 by failedsquare]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS and thank you for sharing your story. Stick around this forum and see if anyone else experienced anything similar to you.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Hi Chris. Welcome. Saw strange white orb thing two days ago while checking out full moon. Welcome to the the early breakfast club.
John

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Hey there, Thanks for sharing you story! Here is another thread that was started last night about some amber colored lights in Phoenix, www.abovetopsecret.com...

Did they look simliar to these? Congrats on the sighting.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Hello Chris, and welcome to ATS.

Thanks for your report. Nice job on the map plots and your description.

My sometimes location is KFFO (WPAFB) and I live about 40 miles N.

I was not out last night, so I did not see them. But I have seen things very similar to what you have described: Large amber orbs very near the base with fighter interceptors investigating. (1999)

Info for those looking at the map: WPAFB is in Fairborn OH. And takes up a large part of Greene and Montgomery counties. (between Dayton and Fairborn) Also a very active ANG base is located in Springfield OH. (in the line of sight of the sightings) just 15 miles northeast of WPAFB. A training base
For active Airforce and reserve pilots.

Jakemelampy Ohio Sabers

And general info on the ANG base

global security 178FW Ohio ANG

The 178th Fighter Wing (FW) of the Ohio Air National Guard occupies 113.6 acres of leased land on the Springfield-Beckley Municipal Airport, located in central Ohio, approximately five miles south of the city of Springfield and approximately 50 miles west of Columbus. The mission of the 178th FW is to train future fighter pilots. The unit currently flies the F-16 Falcon. The 178th FW occupies 8 administrative, 25 industrial, and 6 services buildings totaling approximately 336,330 square feet with 409 full-time personnel A unit training drill is conducted twice a month and results in a surge of up to a total of 829 personnel.

And they have been training F-16 pilots from around the world.

GoDutch

I am very curious if you noticed any other aircraft in the general area of the lights?

Your description sounds like it could have been parachute flares from aircraft out of the Springfield ANG base.
Not at all saying that that is what they were. (It would be unusual for them to be deployed in the area of your sighting) Just trying to eliminate some prosaic possibilities.

I will keep my eyes, cameras and scanner radios trained on the skies in this part of Ohio, in case they return tonight. The weather should be spectacular this evening!

Good job Chris!

Peace

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Welcome Chris. I'm in NW Ohio (Toledo area) and I've had two sightings over the course of my life. But nothing like that you describe. Congrats on the sighting. I'm betting there must be a great deal of activity around WPAFB. Keep us posted on your follow-up.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

"Your description sounds like it could have been parachute flares from aircraft out of the Springfield ANG base.
Not at all saying that that is what they were. (It would be unusual for them to be deployed in the area of your sighting) Just trying to eliminate some prosaic possibilities."

I will keep my eyes, cameras and scanner radios trained on the skies in this part of Ohio, in case they return tonight. The weather should be spectacular this evening!

Good job Chris!

Peace

I am very curious if you noticed any other aircraft in the general area of the lights?

I can say with just about 100 percent certanty that they were not flares. The distance between CM flares would have changed as they fell and were moved by apart by air currents and inertia. These objects also appeared to stay in the same spot in the sky (hovering) but made the wave motion I talked about. Think about a parade for chinese new year and picture how the dragon costume moves sort of gracefull curves but still unpredictable. Thats how the lights moved.

I did notice aircraft in the same general area of the sky. Most of them were much higher than the object however (Airliners).
On the second sighting I did see a fast moving aircraft at near the same altitude start to turn towards the light just as it faded out. I had thought that it was perhaps an interceptor but it was just a single aircraft and i would assume that two or more aircraft would be sent.

In my area it is common for military convoys usually of 3 or more of KC-130's to make flights in the afternoon and early evening.
They usually fly with landing lights on and anti-collision beacons on when its dark. They fly at very low altitudes 1k-4k ft (probably so they dont risk any problems with civillian vector airways) in a pretty tight line about 600 meters apart. And you can hear them coming from many kilometers away

At first (the south eastern view) I thought this was what I was seeing.
But there were just the amber colored lights, no strobes or red beacons.
I am some what of an aviation buff so I know how aircraft look and behave in flight, well at least aircraft that arent top secret

Another possibility, I had seen the goodyear blimp earlier in the day around 5pm. It looked to be headed towards Akron, Ohio and it would not have been in the area I had a view of during the sigtings (i have added it to the map on google). I think it is possible that what I saw could have been the light board on the side of the blimp. But i believe in order for the lights on the blimp to match the size and movement of what I saw, the blimp would have been close enough for me to identify it (within 20K). However thinking about it, this is the most likely explanation I can come up with (as a skeptic).
But personally I DO NOT think it was a blimp.

I just wish I had gotten my camera out in time. while I am driving home from work tonight you can bet i will have it ready.

The google map has been updated to show where i saw the blimp, the square is much smaller because it was during the day and i could guage the range and height much better.
maps.google.com...

I will keep my fingers crossed for tonight
thanks,
Chris

[edit on 22-4-2008 by failedsquare]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wow Ohio got it's own message now to

Also JeepGal, cool to see another Toledo-person

Anyway this is interesting that you mentioned that ohio sighting, as I've stated in a few threads, there have been quite a few events that are happening that are unexplained (at least to me.) I'm going to dig up something I posted a long time ago on one of my older threads. Tell me if it resonates at least somewhat with what you have written.

So I look out the window and see at least three lights/planes flying about in the sky, one that was heading to the left (Sorry bad at the N,W,S,E so I shall use my P.O.V when looking out the window.) It appeared as if it was a plane that was in the midst of starting to land, then there was another plane that was a bit higher (I think it was the same one that I saw when I was in the kitchen cooking.) and a third one that really seemed strange to me. It was flying off to the right of my point of view, moving further away from my vision. (So I guess you could say the plane was moving straight ahead from my view point.)

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

This was some time ago though, not sure if it might help or not. Hope it does though.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Hello Chris and a big welcome to ATS and I echo the appreciation to you for sharing your sightning. I live in central Indiana, and you know things have been crazy here for the last week. Strange sightings of amber lights have been recorded quite often in northern Indiana, check out this thread for the details of last week's activity. And of course the sighting in Pheonix last night here describing similar lights. I believe there was also a recent sighting of this nature in Florida.

Thanks again for bringing this to ATS. I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else in that area had seen this.

Rush

Edit to add: Star & Flag from me.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by hsur2112]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Sorry kleverone, I see that you already posted the Pheonix thread.

Smiley from me...

Rush

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Leviatano

Are you also in Toledo, Leviantano?? I grew up about 2 miles from Toledo Express so we always had planes flying over and now with the BAX terminal in place, there are at least 21 flights going out each night. Also with the Air National Guard post here, the 180th Fighter Wing is always flying in the area as well. Pretty busy skies for such a small city.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Hiyah Neighbors...

I am in Cincinnati...I can't wait to see if anyone else saw this....

Rush's state is hogging all the UFOS lol save some for us Rush!

I haven't seen any UFOs here in Ohio...but I'd love for a big ole sighting to happen here, I will be at the Red's game tonight waiting for the M A S S I V E UFO Flyover predicted on another thread that's supposed to happen today or tonight

Anyway thanks for posting your sighting and welcome to ATS!

Starred and flagged so I can keep updated if anyone else in your area saw the same thing.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hi Chris, thanks for your response to my question.

You have an interesting sighting. As some others have posted here on ATS about a predicted massive flyover tonight, This could get better tonight! We certainly have extreme clear flight conditions in Ohio today!

I can say with just about 100 percent certanty that they were not flares. The distance between CM flares would have changed as they fell and were moved by apart by air currents and inertia. These objects also appeared to stay in the same spot in the sky (hovering) but made the wave motion I talked about. Think about a parade for chinese new year and picture how the dragon costume moves sort of gracefull curves but still unpredictable. Thats how the lights moved.

This is a very clear description of what you saw. I agree that it would be improbable that
Flares would behave that way (wave).

I did notice aircraft in the same general area of the sky. Most of them were much higher than the object however (Airliners).

Yep, that would be expected. Thanks for the clarification and distinction.

On the second sighting I did see a fast moving aircraft at near the same altitude start to turn towards the light just as it faded out. I had thought that it was perhaps an interceptor but it was just a single aircraft and i would assume that two or more aircraft would be sent.

Yes you would be correct, in most cases two (or more) fighters will intercept.
Not unusual for 1 to investigate, while the other(s) loiters in or above the area.

Another possibility, I had seen the goodyear blimp earlier in the day around 5pm. I think it is possible that what I saw could have been the light board on the side of the blimp.

Possible, but I agree, unlikely. 5 plus hours had elapsed, and unless there was some event in the area, I believe they were home in the hanger in Akron.

But i believe in order for the lights on the blimp to match the size and movement of what I saw, the blimp would have been close enough for me to identify it (within 20K).

The apparent size of the blimps light board would seem small at 20K.
Only you can know the apparent size of both the blimp at a distance and the apparent
Size of the lights, comparatively.

I just wish I had gotten my camera out in time. while I am driving home from work tonight you can bet i will have it ready.

Yes, as will I. Fresh batteries, check. New memory card ready, check. Tripod, check.
All A/F and ANG aircraft frequencies programmed into the scanners, check. Recording equipment ready, check. OK, all ready to catch ‘em.

Lets get some good pics from Ohio. Can’t let NM, AZ, CA, TX, IN, FL have all the fun.

Peace

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JeepGal

Probably a super late reply but still going to try and get it in there.
Yeah I've noticed a bunch of planes flying overhead (at least in the day time hours) but at night, as late as that I generally never hear nor see them. Also after going into Toledo Express, it seemed rather slow to be, but that may just be me

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Ok everyone, I told my boss at work about my sigthing yesterday and he said a local radio DJ was talking about it as well, but he didnt hear any details as he only cought the end of it.

Today as he (my boss was driving) the radio dj started talking about it again and a man called in and said he saw his neighbor releasing 5 large helium balloons which were tethered together and had large multi-hour flares like the ones truckers somtimes use attached to them. This happend in a small town just west of Columbus. The town falls in my range i had outlined in the map as well.

So it turns out this sighting was just a hoax.

Still though im very happy to get this information, as 1 my description matched it to the T.
And 2 this post got many people looking to the sky so hopefully someone did see a true ufo.

As always, Keep your heads up and your eyes peeled.
Chris

[edit on 24-4-2008 by failedsquare]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I thought the said the flares and balloons were in Phonix. Maybe the radio host was talking about that.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
yes it was Phonix, I think you may have seen something unexplainable. Here is some links for you.

www.youtube.com...

www.azcentral.com... cles/2008/04/23/20080423phxlightsinvestigation04232008-CR.html

blogs.usatoday.com...

Hope that helps you out.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Nope, the caller said his neighbor told him it was inspired by the phoenix incident.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Failedsquare:

Ok everyone, I told my boss at work about my sigthing yesterday and he said a local radio DJ was talking about it as well, but he didnt hear any details as he only cought the end of it.

Today as he (my boss was driving) the radio dj started talking about it again and a man called in and said he saw his neighbor releasing 5 large helium balloons which were tethered together and had large multi-hour flares like the ones truckers somtimes use attached to them. This happend in a small town just west of Columbus. The town falls in my range i had outlined in the map as well.

So it turns out this sighting was just a hoax. 
Still though im very happy to get this information, as 1 my description matched it to the T.
And 2 this post got many people looking to the sky so hopefully someone did see a true ufo.

As always, Keep your heads up and your eyes peeled.

Thanks so much Chris, for your thoughtful follow-up.
You got to the bottom of your sighting, and came back to tell us!
That in itself, is outstanding!

Your objectivity about your own sighting is very refreshing to see.

In my humble opinion, you are going to be a fantastic member!
I am going to add you to my list of friends, if you don’t mind.

Again, welcome to ATS

Peace

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Who in the world supplies these balloons!? My goodness, I mean every time there is a sighting there is always a balloon somewhere in that equation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join