It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Know anything about grilling chicken & corn?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I was thinking tomorrow night I'll try my hand at cooking chicken and corn cobs on the grill.

I have some bbq sauce, any best way to go about it if I want it bbq grilled?

What about the corn cobs, do you just put them on the rack or wrap them up in tin foil first?

Any particular seasonings make this stuff delicious or just basic pepper or something..?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Bachelor

We used to soak the ears, husk and all, in ice water. We put them in a cooler for a few hours and then laid them right on the grill. You can pull the silk and break off the big part on the bottom of the ears, but they cook up nicely.

The chicken part is up to you. I usually grill chicken prior to putting on any sauce, unless you're planning on marinating it, then you can grill it with its marinate.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
MMM I love me some grilled corn on the cob. What i like to do is individually wrap them with a glob of butter to cook in. A little lemon garlic pepper from the Olde Thompson. (very Little) and grill em for an hour, flipping every 15mins.

Now chicken is the only meat i fear. If you dont cook it well enough, everyone can get salmonella.

Im a Steak, Tritip, Burger man myself and i dont do chicken on the grill much, mostly indoors for me on that. So i offer you a couple recipes from the Food Network site. Love it, use it daily, lolol.

Ultimate Complete with Homemade BBQ Sauce.

Paula Deens Sons BBQ Chicken

Sorry i dont know much about chicken but enjoy.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
just acknowledging the replies...

thanks.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Just had bbq corn, still picking it out of my teeth We also soak it prior to cooking on the grill. Just dipped for a few minutes in cold water.

As for the chicken, I reccomend if it is the bone in type, boiling it ahead of time and then marinating it over night in your choice of bbq sauce then once the grill is good and hot, throw those babiees on there to finish the job.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I usually boil my corn in water, but any chicken I get will be Tofurky which is already cooked.

Or I just make someone else do it for me.

My 2

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
ya lazy peice of yeller corn
i atta bust a cap
but i wont cuz toferky dont taste nun too bad
if yuz smuther it in the blood of innocent tomaters

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I like to leave the corn in the husk, I soak it in cold water for about an hour... i put a plate over them in the sink to keep them fully submerged. On a medium hot grill they take about 45-60 minutes to cook. As far as chicken, I like to marinate the breasts in either italian dressing or worcestershire sauce or a combination of the two for at least a couple hours in the fridge. I turn the grill to almost full hot and cook them until their internal temperature is approximately 160 degrees... most meet thermometers say to cook chicken to 180 but there is no need and cooking chicken that long tends to dry it out very badly. Any seasonings for the chicken I put on the chicken right before it goes on the grill.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Okay.. chicken.. very important that you cook this meat until it is while threw and threw.. any pink.. bad idea!!!1

There are litterally 100's of ways to flavor ansd seaon your bird.. as a cook I know more into

If you havenot handmany years to cook this bird.. grab a fork and knight.
Cut your chicken after its been on the grill for alteast 15 mins.
Yet agin this depends on the thickness fo your cut.

Half chickens are best cooked on the grill and than after some time, take a micro safe plate. put about 4 oz of water, and grab it in clear wrap.
Micro wave for 3-5mins.. cut your birdopen,and make sure its white all the way threw..
Adding a bit of water will not dry your bird out.

Corn.. Butter your corn,then tin foil it up.. This will add to flavor..
Also put that corn on the top rack.. ifyou put it to close to heat and flameyou will burn it!!!! burned corn is not good..

I am a chef of 15 years.. feel free to U2 me.. I would be happy to train you in the ways of american cookign..
Tho agin I am humble, and knwo I do not know everything about food.

Yet I am firm with whatI know temps. and safety when it comes to goood food.. By all means message men and I will train you in the ways of cooking a perfect.. Or perfect meal for you and your friends..

I might also be willing to offeryou some of my family secertswhen it comes to greenbeans...

Tho when everone has a few beers in them.. even the most amature food can get you many compliements..

Heres my deal.. when I run my kitchen.. Everything must be up to par.. No mistakes..All food must come out of my line with no question..
yet cooking for friends is as is.. You are all there to enjoy a few beers, or soda..what ever your deal is.. andmost are happy with what you put out..

Yet if you reall want to impress.. I will show you how to impresss...

I amnot a cook on my first trade... Howeveritsmy back up deal that pays the bills, and I have never gotten a plate back saying its wrong..
I have a great track recored, and am humbledby thepropsI get for my food..

My crew in the ktichen refelcts upon me.. If I allow raw chick to go out.. well thats my butt.. Its my job to teach my students...
and I will do the same for you!!!

Happy BBQ..!!!

[edit on 11-5-2008 by zysin5]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I say, I say for grillin chicken yas got to and I say got to marinate that bird in Italian dressing for about two days. In yalls fridge of course. You get cho self a good flame. get that grill nice and hot hear.

Then you go a sizzlin that bird on that q grill up yon der and you watch it go.

Dis is a guarantee o mine you have one awesome bird yessirre. You goeson and takes you a thermometer toon howdy jab that sucker right in the meat mm good it is. that bird gots to read 160 degrees fahrenheit. Thats 70 degrees celsius for them thar metric types.

yall make sure that bird be cookin at least 20 minutes on a char coal grill and only a few minutes on the gas grill o hank hill fame.

Yessiree bob that chicken be yummy yummy and dern tootin good fer ya.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Thanks guys, love your posts. Zysin wow, a chef! Pretty cool. Whatuknow I say I say I declare lololol

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Hey Bachelor! Let me give you an off beat and absolutely to die for recipe for your corn!

Leave the corn in the husk, soak the entire thing in cold water overnight, then wrap dripping wet into tin foil to roast on the grill.

You will need: sour cream, and parmesian cheese.

Cook the corn on the grill, turning occasionally, for about an hour. Don't worry about burning or charring the husks. When it is ready you will smell it and say 'damn that smells good'.

When you are ready to serve it up, smear a little sour cream around on the corn ( yeah, take it out of the husk first, lol) and shake on loads of parmesian.

It is the best corn you ever ate! If you don't dig sour cream, substitute butter, but add the parmesian.

As for the chicken, I use boneless chicken breasts and marinade them.

Marinade your chicken in a lemon pepper marinade overnight, in a zip lock bag. The lemon almost pre-cooks the chicken, leaving it moist when you cook it. I never put the chicken directly on the grill, I put some foil down and spray it with PAM.

MMMM.MMMMM.

Just wanted to add that I too am a professional cook, I ran my own bus. for years, then sold my recipes to a now well established location here in my hometown. My specialty is a flattened and stuffed chicken breast served on either rice pilaff, or wild rice. OH my! It is crazy good!

[edit on 26-5-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Pretty neat tips Space Cadet...

Thank ya... thank ya very much. *shares corn

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I use boneless chicken breast on the grill because the bone in takes so much longer. I have tried soooo many different marinade's but the best one that I have found was a Mesquite marinade by *Grill Mates* -McCormick.
You can get it at walmart, it is the section where you get all your gravies, sauces in a pack.

My family loves this stuff. It is best marinated over night.
Try it you will love it, that is if you like mesquite flavoring...

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here's an easy one that the ladies always like and a change of pace flavor-wise for the men.

Cut up chicken - or buy all thighs and drumsticks, very popular at my house - and marinate in fresh lemon juice and garlic salt.

To marinate eight thighs; juice enough lemon to make a cup.
Sprinkle some garlic salt into the lemon juice.
Amount is not critical, but don't get too crazy.

There are two types of garlic salt, what you want is Lawry's garlic salt, the flaky type.
If it looks like salt it's the wrong type.

Use half a cup of marinade and marinate for 4-24 hours in the fridge.
It helps a lot to use one of the Tupperware flat, made to marinate with containers and turn a couple of times during the marinating process.

Reserve the other half cup of marinade for basting.
Do not, I repeat, do not use the marinade that you used for marinating for a baste.
It's been compromised by being in contact with fresh meat so toss it when the marinating is finished.

If you don't have Tupperware, a well sealed gallon size freezer style baggy will do it.
As above, turn it over so the marinade gets to all surfaces of the meat.

Cook it over a medium fire.
Charcoal or a gas grille work fine.
I like to cook with flame, but this is a recipe that does very well on a gas grill.

Turn the chicken often and when it gets to a golden brown color, slice into a piece with a knife to see if it is cooked all the way through.

This makes a chicken the ladies always like and I've gotten more than a few compliments from them about my lemon chicken.
Women seem to have a more refined sense of taste than the guys do, give us a cold beer and flame seared meat and we're happy most times.

For the guys and adventuresome women, make or use a commercial BBQ sauce - Kraft's honey-barbecue sauce is a good one - and slather half the chicken in the BBQ sauce and give it a couple of minutes each side on the grill.
You don't want to burn the sugar, but just carmelize it a touch.

What happens here is the lemon and tomato flavors make for a nice contrast and you have something a little different from the usual tomato based BBQ sauce chicken.

Corn on the cob?
Whether freshly picked from garden or store we like to have a pot of boiling water going about the time the chicken comes off the grill and toss the corn into the boiling water for 3-5 minutes.

Younger daughter likes to put a little sugar into the boiling water before the corn goes in.
It makes for a nice taste.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Here's a grilled chicken that comes out quite good.

Tasty and moist.

Wander into the packaged mix stuff for general cooking.
It's usually near the spice dept. in most markets.

Lawry's and McCormick are the two largest suppliers here.
Another is - if I remember right - Sunbird, comes in a mostly yellow envelope.
McCormick has a packaged meat loaf mix that is very good.

Buy yourself an assortment of marinades and whatever other mixes appeal to you.
When you figure the cost of spices, you're saving a little $$ here.

You can save a few bucks on spices in the Mexican section of the market.
The spices are in plastic bags, but quality is excellent.

This works well in the little Weber Smoky Joe grille.
A scaled down version of the big Weber we all know and love, it works well for cooking for up to 4 people.

What I like about it is you can have an overly hot fire and if it flares up, close the upper vents (bottom vents are wide open) and let the meat cook in the heat and hot smoke.
After about five minutes open the vents about half way and make sure it doesn't flare up into flames again.

Last time we did this, we marinated six thighs in Sunbird's teriyaki marinade mix overnight.
Use half the mix for marinade and the remaining half for basting.

Time before this, I used a Mesquite marinade, McCormicks I think.
I stretched it a touch with the juice of one lime.

Get yourself some of the Weber tinfoil small oval - or round if you prefer - pans.

Light a full charcoal lighter can of charcoal.
When ready, toss it into the little Smoky Joe, push the coals to the outer edges and put the tinfoil pan into the middle.
About a half inch of water and the liquid from the marinade bag.
Since this will go to a boil, no salmonella probs from that.

Arrange the chicken in a circle with about half of each thigh hanging over the pan.
Other cuts can be arranged as you wish.
There's more room with the little BBQ's than you think and what's nice about them is their temperature control, air flow/draft devices.

A Hibachi would work as well, but I like starting with a hot fire and controlling the draft as necessary.

You will need something to tap the vent valve open or closed.
I use a home-made fireplace/BBQ tool I made many years ago.

A big BBQ spatula works as well.

What's happening here is the chicken is being grilled in a moist and smoky hot environment.
The moisture adds a lot to the juicy tenderness of the chicken.

Turn it fairly often, turn it over and switch ends a couple of times so the thighs are overhanging the boiling liquid.

When both sides are golden brown, cut a piece with knife in a thick area and make sure it's done all the way through.

Wrap in tinfoil if you need a few more minutes for cooking the bread and corn on the cob.

We usually cook more chicken than we need and the next day it gets sliced up for one of Sweeties wok wonders.

Along these same lines, you can cook a whole beer can chicken in one of the Orion cookers after you've done the main dish.

For us, we cook baby back ribs in the Orion and after the recommended time, pull the ribs and put the chicken in for its recommended time.
It cooks while dinner is going on and next day you have a fully cooked chicken for whatever.
Chicken salad in summer works well.

The Orions use quite a bit of charcoal so you may as well get all the cooking out of one load that you can.

Do a search for Orion Cooker on the web and you'll see how they work.
Basics are, you load the cooking area, place the flavor chips inside, fill the ring with charcoal and light it off.
The time starts when you light the charcoal.

Reason for cooking the chicken after the ribs or other main course are done is to make use of the fully hot unit that still has a lot of charcoal left to burn away.

More on that if you wish.

I almost hate to admit it, but I own five BBQs and am thinking about another....

(Edited for clarification) - (twice in fact)

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Desert Dawg]

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Desert Dawg]

top topics

join