It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joining the NSA, CIA... where to post?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hello,

I was reading online looking for what is involved in getting a job with the NSA or CIA.

What is exactly involved, what type of personal history is looked at and what type of mental and health problems will prevent someone from being considered?

I didn't know where to post this either, so it would be nice to know where subjects like this go in the future.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I think your best bet is to check their respective websites, they should have a link to follow for "career options" or something to that effect

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Yeah, I did that, but it doesn't tell me what I really want to know.

www.cia.gov...

What warning signs are they looking for? What is for such a process? And what place a app into the trash file? Bankruptcy, ADD, birdwatching, dating a Playboy model, spanking the monkey, what?

[edit on 17-4-2008 by Ihavenoidea]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Judging by my family members in service,they come looking for you,not you looking for them,they know who they want

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Do well in relevant fields (at a large university) such as foreign languages, computer programing, criminology, etc., and the chances that they'll take a look at you will improve. They're no strangers to university "job fairs". Currently, key languages to study would be Korean and/or Arabic.

I wouldn't expect anyone to list off all of their "black-listing" attributes to you. They have their criteria, and if they publicise dis-qualifying factors then those factors become easier for people to cover-up/avoid. Just do well in applicable fields, live "right", and visit university job fairs. It's no secret they're there, and they've even been known to set up official booths at such.

[edit on 4/18/08 by redmage]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a BS or BA degree is a MUST, unless your going to go clandestine. Then THEY will definitly come to you. They don't take applications for CORE collectors much anymore.

Bottom line, get your degree, be fluent in another language (esp. arabic), be computer savy, have some international travel already under your belt, don't be a problem child (i.e. arrest record, violent past, domestic disputes, drug use, etc...), and show interest. Applying to any alphabet agency over and over actually CAN impress them. Many people THINK they want to be CIA, NSA, NRO, NSC, etc...but in reality they only want the job because of some TV show they watched or movie they saw. When it comes down to it 97% of the jobs these agencies have are NOTHING like the James Bond, Jason Bourne type jobs. And they sure aren't as exciting as led on by hollywood.

But either way...good luck if you still choose this path..

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
Many people THINK they want to be CIA, NSA, NRO, NSC, etc...but in reality they only want the job because of some TV show they watched or movie they saw. When it comes down to it 97% of the jobs these agencies have are NOTHING like the James Bond, Jason Bourne type jobs. And they sure aren't as exciting as led on by hollywood.

VERY true. Most "alphabet agency" jobs are nothing like the glamorized scenes people see from the entertainment industry. They're mostly just office positions with a lot of "pencil pushing" and "data analysis".

[edit on 4/18/08 by redmage]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Nah, I wouldn't want to be like James Bond.

Heard people like that get killed fast in that biz

Thanks for the all the input though.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Ihavenoidea]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Ihavenoidea

It depends on what you have to offer. They have jobs for PHD's in just about every subject down to janitorial duties.

There is an extraordinary background check preformed. Expect just about everyone of somewhat importance in your life from the last 10 years to be contacted by either mail or interviewed. You will provide a list of contacts and family members. Family members, current or former federal employees, will be contacted. (As as side note, my brother was a presidential appointment. He talked to the FBI when I went through my background check)

Expect every school you listed as attended to be verified, don't lie about degrees or classes taken. Same as employment, expect all former employers to be contacted.

Financial records will be examined. A past bankruptcy does not matter, current debts are more of a problem.

Health conditions is job dependent. If you are unable to perform the job you apply for, why would you be a desirable job candidate? This doesn't mean if you are wheelchair bound, you can't perform a desk job. You just couldn't be in an electrician or plumber type job.

The place to start is on the career page of the web site.

Good luck with your career options....

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
How old are you and what is your current educational level. From the few people I know of who have those types of jobs, they are straight A, keep their nose clean types. They like masters degrees and foreign language proficiency.

If you're are just looking for a shortcut to adventure, consider the Army or Marines, these days that's not hard to get into.

If you want to be some kind of elite operator, a couple years in a ranger battalion or light infantry unit would be a step in the right direction. If you survive that with your knees, back, and mind intact you can then kick it up a notch and try to sheepdip (leave the military officially and assume a civilian cover job) into the covert side of things.

If you want a long career as government drone any agency will do.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ihavenoidea
I was reading online looking for what is involved in getting a job with the NSA or CIA.

Have a good police and security-services record of reporting 'suspicious' websites or activities, inform on your friends, neighbours, and family members to the authorities regardless of evidence, and have a wardrobe stocked with regulation-creased brown shirts and well polished jackboots

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I was getting looked at for a lower key intel analysis job a few months ago (ultimately ended up not following up after I got another job; I was just too tired of job searching at that point). The background check takes forever. Don't expect to get hired right away for any government job. I've heard it usually takes about six months from the first contact with the position until you actually get the job (this is pretty reflective of the timeline I was on with the state-level job I was pursuing), so make sure you have other employment at the time.

The language thing is major, although just showing you understand how language works can get you in at lower levels: that is, I have a proficiency for language, and have studied several languages up through the university level, but have only reading knowledge at this point in any of them. Still, showing I had the ability to quickly pick up the basics of a foreign language appealed to my prospective employer.

Squeaky clean background is pretty much a must, though. If you don't have that you won't even get to the interview.

I would recommend getting a lower level intel analysis job and then move up to applying to an alphabet agency once you've worked up your resume.

[edit on 5/4/2008 by asilvahalo]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Be sure to ask them why they're randomly torturing people with Morgellons Syndrome if you finally get in.

Then post their response here.

And tell them if it's intimate-nano-HI-MEMS-surveillance, it's ineffective, in the sense that it's too disturbing to the physiology for anyone to host it without it causing severe problems.
So all you'd be monitoring, are sore-covered newly habituated shut-ins.
Not firey-mouthed patriots with guns, or Japanese assassins.

. .. cant believe I'm saying this but it needs improvement

just...

thought I'd put that out there...

good luck

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Hi,

Let me start by saying that I am not a federal employee, so I do not have a job with any of these places, but I like to think that I know something about this stuff.

If you feel that any or all of this is BS, I could care less. If some of it is of interest to you, I can provide some more information.

An answer to your questions would fill many books, here are a few things that quickly came to mind. Hopefully some of it helps toward answering your questions.

Saying that ' I want a job at the CIA,DISA,CSS,NRO ' is a start, but that is just an employer. What is it you want to do? Are you interested in computers, languages, security (Police) work, being an accountant, counting office supplies, checking packages for anthrax, or something else?

This paper is both funny and insightful:
Interviewing With An Intelligence Agency
(or, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Fort Meade)
www.rootsecure.net/content/downloads/pdf/nsa_interview.pdf

Here is the mother of all Security Clearance Forms, this is the one and only
Standard Form 86 - A quick test to see if someone who says they have a clearance is full of BS, is to ask them about the worst part of the first time they filled out an SF-86. NO ONE EVER forgets the experience.
www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf

Decisions that pertain to the adjudication of security clearance cases for contractors. These are cool, because they are real, people being stupid, people trying to get away with something, people getting their tickets pulled for no reason - and getting them back. Real lives getting really screwed up.
www.dod.mil...

Adjudicative Guidelines - Background Resources for Personnel Security Adjudicators, Investigators, and Managers. This is what it says it is, interesting read.
www.dhra.mil...

Recent Espionage Cases - These bear little resemblance to the glamorized accounts of spy novels; rather, they tell a mundane tale of human folly resulting in tragic personal consequences.
www.dhra.mil...

Some really cool reports on security issues
www.dhra.mil...

Do you care about what agency is employing you?
FBI very different from CIA

Do you need to be a Federal employee, or could you be a contractor instead?
They work in the same places doing the same types of things

Are you a US citizen?
Answer MUST be YES

Do you have any good friends who are not US citizen?
If so can cause some problems

Would you be OK if you had to ask for permission to leave the country?
Because you will

Would you be OK if the answer was NO.
Because it could be

These places do not have to use the same hiring practices as most of the Government

Why do you want to be employed by one of these groups?
Your reason is important, and it will be known

Are you willing to travel?
Not that you have to, but it opens options

Are you willing to travel to places that are not fun, I mean really not fun.
Not all travel is to Disney World

Are you married, do you have children?
All answers are OK, but it can restrict choices

Are you willing to leave them, for how long?
Travel can be difficult

What if your body appears on television hanging, burnt, from a bridge?
This has happened to US contractors. Travel can be dangerous.

What is your age?
You will not get a high school intern gig at 48 years old

What schooling do you have?
Are you going to clean secure space floors, or design electronics

Where do you live?
Easier to get a job of this kind in DC, as opposed to Arkansas. The CIA ain't gonna move for you

Can you pass the background check for a security clearance?
Yes, is the only choice for these jobs

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
asilvahalo......What lower level intel job did you have? I know they are inmtel jobs for the department of navy, army, etc. but what other good stepping stone intel jobs are they out there?

top topics

join