It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Michigan Wolverine Spotted for First Time in About Two Centuries

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the links and information, seems i may have been a little off base mentioning that wolves were considered to be non-native animals.

One story that i read about that does spring to mind is that of a possible black panther that supposedly was sighted in the Battle Creek area about a year ago, i have no link to provide nor do i have an old newspaper to quote from but i do remember very clearly that a farmer had reported seeing one on his land. Did anybody happen to hear or read about this?

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
As for coyotes, they seem to be migraing south, as they adapt in areas where there are humans. It also seems they wer never "gone" from Michigan.
www.michigan.gov...

"Coyotes are found throughout Michigan. They are most abundant in the Upper and northern Lower Peninsulas. Coyote numbers decrease in the central and southern portions of the Lower Peninsula. Coyotes have dispersed into southern Michigan without assistance from the DNR.

This member of the dog family is extremely adaptable and survives in virtually all habitat types common in Michigan. They are most abundant in areas where adequate food, cover, and water are available. Urban areas can also support coyotes."

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

i can contest to that... i've seen, or at least heard of, coyotes being in the inner suburbs of detroit... like canton, milford, and rochester (for you locals
)

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
i can contest to that... i've seen, or at least heard of, coyotes being in the inner suburbs of detroit... like canton, milford, and rochester (for you locals
)

A friend of mine hunts coyotes in the suburbs of Detroit. They are being over run with them ( no natural predators besides man). Killing cats and dogs and there are rumors of people being bitten.

To the OP,

My dad swears we saw one 33 years ago just outside of Rose city Michigan. He and I were traveling the fire roads through the woods. It was on the side of the road eating..... something. Anyways he insisted that it was a wolverine. I remember my mother arguing with him over it. From what I can remember of the encounter...... I'd have to side with my pops on this one. It definitely wasnt like any "native" type creature I have ever seen then or since.

I would love to see another one. I hope this is true, because they are fascinating creatures. I dont know if they were ever native to our state or not. If so, I hope they make a comeback. Thank you for the head up!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Dammit, I tried quoting the poster just ahead of mine. It obviously didnt work. So, if you read my post and it doesnt quite jive....You'll know why...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
They're in Detroit proper as well, because so much of the city has reverted to prairie. They have plenty of food, with rabbits, pheasants and feral dogs and cats everywhere. One was running around downtown probably about a year ago and animal control chased after it.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The first thing to come to mind is the Michigan Dogman story. It's been posted here on ATS many times.

Gable Film-Michigan Dogman

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Tartarspoon]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicodeme
They're in Detroit proper as well, because so much of the city has reverted to prairie. They have plenty of food, with rabbits, pheasants and feral dogs and cats everywhere. One was running around downtown probably about a year ago and animal control chased after it.

LOL, You don't chase a wolverine, even with a gun.

Better to take on the devil himself.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

I was referring to coyotes, sorry. The last known wild wolverine in Michigan died probably about a week or two ago. There was a story about it in newspapers here.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Tartarspoon

Turns out that footage is a hoax. On Monster Quest, they interviewed the man who explained how and why he did it.

That now makes all "found" film with no record on who made it questionable.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Journey

You are an epic retard! Boy you really put him out of his misery by bashing him with a staff instead of shooting it? You sound like an in bred backwoods hick.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Curiosity

Most extinct things are just that. EXTINCT - NO LONGER EXIST - there are just a handful of exceptions, mostly because they are small animals. If they Tasmanian Tiger/Wolf is still alive that would be great. But given there size this is not likely. Maybe just a large Tasmanian Devil instead.
I should check up on how they are doing on there attempt to Clone and Revive the Tasmanian Tiger/Wolf from some flesh and fur that they have.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008
reply to post by Tartarspoon

Turns out that footage is a hoax. On Monster Quest, they interviewed the man who explained how and why he did it.

That now makes all "found" film with no record on who made it questionable.

I missed that episode, so I found it online and watched it. You are correct, the author of the video admits it's a hoax and the beast is just a man in a guile suit.
and the up close shot of the beasts mouth toward the end of the video is just a halloween mask.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ETL71

It appears they are still trying to revive the Extinct Tasmanian Tiger/Wolf.
But there has been some financial issues.

Check out the following link to a story from last year - January 2009

www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

Hopefully, the wolverine will not become any more endangered than it already is from us. Thankfully, it live in the Great White North of Canada - where there is for the most part not that many people at this time. But more are moving there.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by ETL71]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Not true, I posted something about a sighting with pictures about two years ago in Northern Michigan, still trying to find it..if and when I do will post it.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Link to the original article isn't available

www.michigansthumb.com...=2292&PAG=461

Huron Daily Tribune home
It's Back!! Wolverine sighted a few weeks ago

TRACI ANDERSON & STACY LANGLEY, The Huron Daily Tribune 04/15/2005

UBLY — For almost a year, wildlife enthusiast Jeff Ford of Ubly quested day in, day out for a single snapshot. Some days, he felt confident of achieving his goal; other days, he felt despondent, thinking he'd never finish his endeavor. The subject of the snapshot he was shooting for was an elusive creature, one very few people have spotted in the wild.

One day this past March, his hopes became reality — he finally had a picture of the wolverine on his trail game camera.

www.michigan-sportsman.com...

"The adrenalin surge of finally catching a picture of a wolverine on my game camera after a year of work was an incredible feeling," Ford said. "I love wild things, and this was about as wild as it gets."

You would think this biologists would do a search before he made this claim.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join