It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Rank Patches revealed?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
These patches are indeed real. Meaning that they do represent units who do secret work. This does not mean that they wear them on a mission. You don't wear your medals on a mission either. It doesn't matter if these patches are seen, since they give no details as to the nature of the work actually being done. And an alien on a patch does not necessarily mean they are alien test-pilot.

reply to post by dave420

So you're telling me that super-secretive parts of the military made up PATCHES to advertise their super-secretive activities?

Why not? Military intelligence has insignia, yet their work is highly secretive.

[edit on 4/17/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Del_
Units often devise their own (official and unofficial) crests, patches and mascots. Nothing particularly surprising. I'm not sure that they are authentic, but again, it would not surprise me that they were.
The 509th was the Bomb Wing that dropped the bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. It currently operates the B-2 bomber. It's my favourite of the three. "Gustatus Similis Pullus" = "Tastes Like Chicken"
I don't recognize the other two, but the Dragon and Diamond have been used before by NRO units.
Good find.

Correct....quite common in the USAF.

The one on the left was my unit morale patch, the other is a squadron patch

www.usafpatches.com...

Also when I was stationed at Nellis, I have seen plenty of "TEST PILOT" patches and t-shirts...it's really not that big of a deal.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Disinfo Agent1966]

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Disinfo Agent1966]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Disinfo Agent1966

And I'll bet you didn't go advertising the details of your work, even though you had that patch to wear.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Yeah, True.

We stuck amongst our selves, Even within our unit...we really did not discuss things outside our section. Everything was on a need-to-know basis.

More or less the patches are for us to enjoy, not really intended for advertisement

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Disinfo Agent1966

But the general public wouldn't know what the heck the patch really meant anyway. A lot of times the symbology in these patches is enigmatic, almost secret-society sort of stuff, that the average person is never going to be able to accurately interpret. Other components might just be a sort of inside joke, or "you had to be there when..."

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Yeah jackinthebox, you pretty much nailed it.

I'd often look at patches the Missile Combat Crew officers had on their flight suits and could not figure them out without asking what it meant.

Really hard to understand most of em if you don't know the unit's mission, motto and history.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
that dont ask one is sweet. I would get that printed on a shirt.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join