It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Sale: 13-Year Old Virgin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

For Sale: 13-Year Old Virgin

www.telegraph.co.uk

Tonight, one girl in particular is attracting attention as she sits on a stool by a fire so that she can be seen by passing vehicles. Her heavily made-up, striking face and beautiful pink sari make her look as if she were on her way to a party. But the truth is different. Suli, 14, is a virgin and a bidding war is being held for the right to be the first to sleep with her.

The collection of shelters where she lives houses 59 families, all members of the Bedia tribe, which has a long tradition of caste-based prostitution. Girls born here become prostitutes in a rite of passage into "adulthood" as routine as marriage is to the rest of Indian society.

The "first time" is a valued commodity for which the middle-class businessmen who pass this way are prepared to pay a premium.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Sigh...

I thought India was one of the more civilized ME territories...This is pretty sad IMHO...There should be some sort of international law against child prostitution. These girls are branded for life and can never marry---Even though some think it's great to make money, how solid of a head on their shoulders can they have at 13 years of age as to what decisions will affect the rest of their lives?

The normal rate is 100 rupees (£1.30) but a virgin is sold to the highest bidder for anything over 20,000 rupees. If she is very pretty, the community would hope to get up to 40,000 rupees. For this, the man can have access to the girl for as long as he likes - several hours, days, or even weeks. When he tires of her, there is a celebration. Because it is considered unlucky for a girl to keep the money from her first time, it is spent instead on an extravagant party. Jewellery is bought for her and for her relatives, goats are slaughtered and alcohol runs freely. There is dancing, and offerings are made to the gods.

Once a girl has lost her virginity she cannot marry. The choice has been made and the community celebrates it - this is her non-wedding night.]/ex]

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
More civilized? I don't think you've researched the issue enough. Look up wife burning in India and get back with me on how civilized you think India is.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

and there i thought buy my daughter was as bad as things got and thats in the US, parents selling their girls online to the highest payer.

and rofl india being the most Civil (democarcy yes)

they have countless Acid attacks on women
news.bbc.co.uk...

and other stuff which isnt so civil

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I was just going to say that, there are so many backward issues in parts of india its almost like the dark ages in some places, they even still hunt witches in parts and there have been reports of burnings and stonings,

There are regions where it seems there is no control even widows being forced to burn alive at their husbands funeral fires, Its very sad and sick IMO, but so was europe in the dark ages, for us very developed nations (roflmao) this is evil even in my mind i can not imagine living this way, hopefully the authorities (yeah right) will catch on and jump in, but i wont hold my breath for long.

Remember this is a very sick world we live in, and money is the voice of everything these people want, Again its the people with lots of money who seem to attract this perverse industry, saying that though isnt it legal in some states in the USA to marry at the age of 12?

IMO very sad indeed.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Jeez--Looks like I do indeed have my homework to do on this issue!

Hard to believe this type of stuff is still going on in this day and age with "advanced" societies...But then again with the state of World Affairs in general....Perhaps not. Does make me sad though.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
India is a nasty, dirty country. It has a lot of wealth and high-tech smooshed right in with conditions far worse than you will find in someplace like Mexico. I had a friend from India who told me that there was a store near him that used corpses as mannequins in a store-front.

Here's something I else I thought of reading this...

www.marryourdaughter.com...

EDIT to add: Also keep in mind that these people really don't have a similar moral bearing as we (pretend to) have in the West. They simply don't see anything wrong with it. The caste system has been a way of life there for thousands of years. If you really want to understand India, the first place to start is learning about the caste system. It is not as rigid as it once was, but its legacy is still strong.

[edit on 4/13/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
India is not as bad as you may think...visit the country, don't just read an article.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Amen Valhall!

You can set your wife on fire in India and serve no time if you have a "good" reason for burning her alive. What's sad is a lot of them live through it with horrible 2nd and 3rd degree burns over most of their bodies.

Getting pack to the topic...just another example of sickening exploitive degrading treatment of women and young girls from a "civilized" country that is still living with ancient customs from the stone ages. And all the adults "from the community" celebrating this like it was a huge festival, meanwhile stealing the 40,000 in Rupes, the whole thing is revolting.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Child prostitution exists in this country, although it's illegal here. It has always existed in the west. The chance to "deflower" a virgin has always brought a high price.

What is sad about this case in India is that if the young girl belonged to a higher caste she would be a bride. The caste system has been made illegal in India since it became a Republic, but people still persist in practicing caste-based discrimination and "untouchables" still exist. It's possible the girl comes from a long line of consorts and sees no shame in it.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I thought India was one of the more civilized ME territories...

I hear you...

Alas, I've been stripped of that particular illusion a long time ago.
And this is not the only problem. Have you read about the treatment of many old women by their families? They are - literally - dumped as a piece of rubbish, to die of exposure. I was appalled by the fact that it was only recently that this problem came to light (courtesy of a few journalists).

Someone may object that it's not the same.
Well, I think it is: is an old woman less worthy of respect and care than a pubescent girl?

And, more to the point, it's about the attitude towards women.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
i believe it is wrong for this too happen it is india a third world country with nukes also the website jackin the box mentioned i looked at and it appears to be white slavery ring did any body think to report it to authorities?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
the website is a fake, the guy who made it is trying to outline the different marriage laws in the different states, and as such created it with that intention.

As far as India goes, while it is sad, this is the life that they live, and the customs that they perform. While I don't agree with it, and would probably kill anyone that touched my daughter, you can't change customs overnight. The best possible solution is development and education in India. Through these, the caste system will eventually be abolished.

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Well, I don't see what is wrong since the girl has chosen this as her profession by her own free will. Yes, it upsets our western sensibilities and it is illegal here. But, prostitution, right or wrong, has been and will be around forever. Nothing you or I can do to change it. Different countries around the world have different traditions. Just because it goes against our western culture is no reason to condemn it. If she was being forced then that is a different story, of course.
Also, it seems that for some the choice is this or abject poverty. Which would you choose?

Two of her sisters, Ritu, 35, and Manju, 25, have built one of the few stone houses in their village, for which they paid the equivalent of £14,600, and are proud of their success. "There was a lot of poverty, we had nothing to eat," said Manju. "What you see now has come with hard work." They support 50 family members - 35 children and 15 adults.

This is the most upsetting part of the story:

Ritu and Manju each have a daughter, whose fathers were clients.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I think that many of the responses bring to mind the biblical quote that we should look to the plank in our own eye before commenting upon the speck in another's.

On the subject of how old people are treated, people need to do some serious research on how WE treat our old people, look into Nursing homes in America, etc. That would be a personal subject for me since my Grandfather died in one, and he didn't have to die.

As for prostitution, like the comment preceding mine... it is ancient. It has been around forever, and shall be around forever. It's also important to note that India has 1 billion people living in an area half the size of the U.S.

As for them having children from clients, they can never get MARRIED. What, are they never allowed to have children?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
I thought India was one of the more civilized ME territories...

India isn't in the Middle East, unless you want to argue that China is too.

It is part of the Asian sub-continent.

As for the article, no, its not right whats going on there and I don't condone it, but the people are choosing to adopt that way to survive, provide for their families and eat.

It that worse than teenagers in the west turning to prostitution to support their crack habit, or unsupported mothers turning to prostitution to feed their families?

Yes, its shocking. No it shouldn't be happening. Is the West that much better? No. Not really. We just put a thin veneer of "civilisation" on it, and maybe hide our dirty laundry slightly better.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ramb0
India is not as bad as you may think...visit the country, don't just read an article.

Uhm.... If you can legally set your wife on fire, then yes, it is as bad as I think.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
i believe it is wrong for this too happen it is india a third world country with nukes also the website jackin the box mentioned i looked at and it appears to be white slavery ring did any body think to report it to authorities?

Dowries are still legal. Everything there is on the up-and-up. Even marrying a girl of age 13 is legal in the US with parents consent (depending on which state you are in).

Now, yes I think it's a bit odd that statutory rape is any sex with a minor, consentual or otherwise but yet done within the bonds of a parentaly consented marriage somehow isn't.

But yeah, as repulsive as that site is... it's legal.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox

Here's something I else I thought of reading this...

www.marryourdaughter.com...

That site has been brought up before here on ATS.

The site was found to be a hoax.

More info in this thread below.

Can't find a wife? Buy an underage bride online!

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Well, I don't see what is wrong since the girl has chosen this as her profession by her own free will.

Since when is a 13 yr old mature enough to know what's best for her or how this may effect her life as an adult. How many of these women long to be married as adults but can't because of a choice they made as a child?

Why do you think we have a different set of rules for minors?

As for a culture that is long standing, where it affects children it's not right no matter how long it's been going on. Children should always be protected no matter what.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join