It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia threatens with war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
They are threatening with military sanctions if Ukraine and Georgia becomes members of NATO. (I dont have a link in english though)

Here we go. War again?...

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

Daniem, I have the English version here from the Telegraph:

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2008/02/12/wrussia112.xml

Russia has threatened to target the Ukraine with nuclear warheads if the former Soviet republic joins Nato and accepts the deployment of United States anti-missile defences on its territory.

President Vladimir Putin of Russia warned Ukraine's leader Viktor Yushchenko of "retaliatory actions" should his country join the Western alliance during a joint press conference in Moscow.

It's frightening not just to talk about this, but even to think about, that in response to such deployment, the possibility of such deployments - and one can't theoretically exclude these deployments - that Russia will have to point its warheads at Ukrainian territory," he said.

This was the same rhetoric used by Putin when he said he would point his warheads at Europe if it allowed the US to place the missile defense system in Eastern Europe (Czech Republic and Poland).

They are reenacting the Cold War tactics of 30 years ago, by flying their long range bombers into NATO airspace and recently (see above link) over an American aircraft carrier.

They are a lonely hearts club wanting some TLC and respect, but carrying the attitude that this world is not big enough for the two of us!!

Brei.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Russia knows what america is doing, even if you do not. Russia does not get its news from msnbc, or fox, they monitor america like america monitors russia.

What ever you think, you should be thankful there are still two sides.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I dont understand Just about every week we see a post about this country is going to nuke that country I would hope that no matter how ticked off one counrty is at another They would not push the button

In my mind The ETs would not let this happen We as humans have along way to go in life

We are just kids playing in the sand pit to them still growing up

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Just to clarify Andy 1033,

Russia knows what america is doing, even if you do not. Russia does not get its news from msnbc, or fox, they monitor america like america monitors russia.

I am not pro-American, I'm not even an American - I am European. Putin has already threatened to target his missiles at Europe just last year. That means he has threatened me because of something America has proposed to do (I.e the missile shield).

Notwithstanding that:

What ever you think, you should be thankful there are still two sides.

Somehow I do not agree with that statement. Two wrongs do not make a right! This is the political sandwich we must live in.

Brei.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Breifne

Please fix the link. It is broken.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Main link again. Hope this works.

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2008/02/12/wrussia112.xml ]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I used to kind of respect putin until i learned he did stupid stuff like this... now he just sounds like a fussy child.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I very much doubt it that Putin would actually act on his words...

Last year when he stated that he would point nukes at europe if the US put up their anti missle defenses he quickly back tracked on what he said...

I think what we are seeing is a new russia flexing its muscles, saying: "Hey we are one of the big boys now we want to play too". I really think sometimes he says things in the heat of the moment without thinking about what the reaction would be around the world. Russia already has a tainted image of being a corrupt and unhospitable people/country... and they are trying to improve their image not drag it down more than it is.
Unfortunately for Putin these kinds of statements have an opposite effect to what they are trying to achieve.

The Russian government are even pumping money into trying to improve their countries image around the world. The rate and growth of their economy is amazing considering their country was bankrupt 15-20 years ago. They have a monopoly on the world markets for Oil, Gold and Metals, so they are now raking it in and living the high life, well a small few are, (there is still a high percentage of poor in their country but I think that subject is for another thread) and I don't think they would want to lose that by going to war against another powerful country.

Russia has already been through enough to last 100 life times, I cannot see them throwing themselves into any war anytime soon, unless they were attacked on their own soil.

I think perhaps the US could have discussed their plans at an earlier stage than announcing what they were going to do without in depth discussion until after the fact. You are still dealing with a very new Russia, and ex soviet states, which the Russians are very reluctant to release their hold on. If the US had disclosed this earlier, and before announcing it to the world at large, then maybe the US would not be having this problem now.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I Respect Putin. (I know what some might say, "why?").. The truth of the matter is that he's looking out for his country. Why would he let the US put missile's all around them?Basicaly surrounding them with the missile's.. He Knows the USA's plan and the plan of the Global government. Look at the information average citizen's know about cover ups, and conspiracy's. Imagine what Russia and Putin knows??

The USA has some audacity thinking they could do what they want and no one else can follow.. I'm an American but I agree that if Iran could not have nukes why should we have them, and every one else? No one should have nukes.. But then again who would believe that every country that has nukes would completely dismantle their nuke Programs?Their already here right?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Truthfully here is some advice for both sides, either hit the button or shut up. We are all getting tired of the war rumors and Bush enjoys his threats and Russia also enjoys it. The problem is that both are cowardly enough to threaten but not make good on the threat so they need to shut up and go for a long walk and cool off there tempers.

Truthfully, why dont they just go at it in a boxing ring and the winner gets a free Mcdonalds happy meal.

Hilda

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Look at this:
"Russia has unveiled an ambitious plan to build the world’s longest tunnel under the Bering Strait as part of a transport corridor linking Europe and America via Siberia and Alaska.

The 64-mile (103km) tunnel would connect the far east of Russia with Alaska, opening up the prospect of the ultimate rail trip across three quarters of the globe from London to New York. The link would be twice as long as the Channel Tunnel connecting Britain and France.

The $65 billion (£33 billion) mega-project aims to transform trade links between Russia and its former Cold War enemies across some of the world’s most desolate terrain. It would create a high-speed railway line, energy links and a fibreoptic cable network."
www.timesonline.co.uk...
April 20, 2007
Such a tunnel could supply North America with energy resources available from Siberia.
I think the multinational corporations may eye this idea fondly.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
About a year to a year and half ago I read an article in the newspaper about a treaty the US and Russia had made after the cold war. The treaty basically said that each side would have limits to certain aspects of their militaries. I believe the treaty said that these limits had to be met by 2012. Neither side has given this treaty a second thought. Both Russia and the US have much more military power than the treaty allows. I'm seeing it this way. 2 children. Neither are supposed to have candy 1 of them gets some candy the other finds out and goes and gets even more candy and back and forth the psychological battle goes on until they can longer settle it this way and begin fighting. That's what I see happening in the near future between Russia and the US.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by crisrj214

In the near future, I see the EU and China involved as the new kids on the block. Plus, who knows where India will be within a decade or two.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
What actually scares me a bit, is that sooner or later Putin is going to go through with his threats, he has also promised Military action should Isreal/USA attack Iran, which we all know is inevetable.

With everything going on, I can easily see what is to happen ove rmext little while. If the USA decides to attack Iran it will be before the Election. This way Bush can invoke his presidential right and post pone the election due to a crisis.

Personally i'm more worried about something like this happening over most things i see out there these days.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Breifne

Strap on a jock and take responsibility for your leaders. The US is just the military wing and your Euro Pols are in bed with and being handled by the ptb.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I always have cautioned on these forums about China.

Russia, with Putin, have been thumping their chests as loud as they can. They bring back the flying into US airspace. They bring back the weapons parade. Russia seems to me like an ex bully on the playground trying to get back the attention he once had.

China on the other hand has been keeping quiet. But, watching China closely, you see they're moving a mile a minute. China is going to be a bigger threat. They have the economy, manpower, and will to make it happen. China plans for longterm gain, not short.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Say what you will be the threats get worse not better.

After threatening to cut someones throat in their sleep whats next?
Someone hits the button.

You say it wont happen well I guess youre right, WW1 never happend, WW2 never happend. Youre right WW3 will never happen.

It is apparent that the only people saying it wont happen are those invested in society and socialization.

new topics

top topics

join