It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible says Universe is billions of years old

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
You err, the Day with God is as a thousand years with man, that does not make the days of man equal or comparable with the Creator's timeline. Adam lived less than a thousand years, not nearly a million years as you try to suggest with your twisted math. Nowhere does the bible suggest that the earth is billions of years old. The concept of a billion did not even exist.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Here's another theory i'm sure has been brought up. The "Gap" theory which is what i am more inclined to believe in myself. In Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 there is a Gap of time which we do not know how long.

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth...

((((GAP)))) billions of years possibly

The actual recreation account
Genesis 1:2 "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

there are two accounts the bible that pertains to "Mankind" where God destroyed the earth. firstly in Noah's days of the Flood & secondly when God will destroy the earth with fire and "recreate" the earth again, in the book of revelation. I believe that there was a world before our existence that rebelled against God and judgement came upon them and God destroyed that world with the Ice Age, and it just makes plain sense that in genesis 1:2 the reason there was darkness was because there was no light or heat and if there isn't any of that we would have Ice knowing that most or even the whole earth is covered in water. We have scientific data proving there was an ice age, we know that there was a pre-adamaic civilization of creatures that are non-existant to this day. to those that believe the universe was created in 6 days explain to me why God didn't save the dinosaurs? Why aren't dinosaurs existing today? and where is the biblical account of God excluding dinosaurs from noah's ark? If we know of two civilizations that God destroyed and will be destroyed i dont' think its impossible to think that there was a previous civilization that was destroyed before Man.

Keeper

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Keeper of Kheb

I would like to point out the obvious. Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 are in the same paragraph, the second sentence referencing the first in a consistant evenly flowing monologue. What evidence of a "gap" is present? One would expect over the course of billions of years that the language would have changed sufficiently enough that it would have been stated in a different meter. Have you ever considered how only the first chapter of Genesis is about CREATION and the rest of the bible is about man?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The Bible also said a lot of other things.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Iggus

I sincerely do appreciate your insistence that God created the universe in 6 earth days, against all physical evidence, in accordance to the bible (word to word). I think it will be inappropriate for anyone to try to convince you otherwise. I do sincerely, also, wish you all the best. Blind faith often achieves greater things than faith with a lot of unanswered questions. I am confident that the Almighty will bless you abundantly for this unwavering faith.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by spacerobo]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
That's funny, and here I thought Homo Sapiens been around for 250,000 years...6000...lol. Funny how people still dont' realize the similaries between Astrology(Science) and Religion. There is a reason for that.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by alundaio

You are right. Homo sapiens have been around for about 250,000 years. Yet, the oldest civilization traced is just about 4000 years BC! In other words, homo sapiens have been running around with animal skin for loin cloth and stones for tools and hunting weapons for 246,000 years! Must have been pretty dumb homo sapiens! And all of a sudden in 4000 BC they become intelligent! And in just 6000 years they send rockets to outer space! Friend, there is a difference between the ancient homo sapiens and the modern Man. That is what the Bible is all about.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
That's funny also...There is no difference between us and the 20,000 BC Homo Sapien Sapiens. None. Civilizations gets lost or destroyed in time either by natural disasters or mankind. Funny how they found a domesticated cat buried with a man 9500 years ago. They had the same cognitive and learning ability as we do now. Im not talking about Evolution, im am talking about the EXACT same species as you and I. I can't believe people still picture cavemen as ape looking people with clubs and animal hides. Evolution takes hundreds of thousands of years if not more. We would all still be like them today if you took away all our technology which took thousands of years to invent and reinvent. Actually, alot of us would die because we don't know how to survive off nature.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by alundaio]

[edit on 25-8-2008 by alundaio]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by alundaio

You are right again! Homo sapiens 20,000 BC, or even 250,000 BP, were exactly the same as you and I today. As for the cat, many dogs have taken (or adopted) a cat for their pets (or little ones!), that does not say much about intelligence!

If we back track the development from 4000 BC to 250,000 BP, taking the reference of the rate of development from 4000 BC to present, the result will be ridiculous. This infers that “something” happened somewhere around 4000 BC. What....??

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spacerobo

No, the difference is the ability to pass on information from one generation to the next, allowing a society to keep ideas long after the originator of those ideas has died.

Just because you can't understand it doesn't instantly mean "God did it". Jeeeez. "God" seems to be the name given to the gap in your understanding of the world around you, your history, and the history of your species. I guess it's easier than learning.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Archaeology can't find everything, it takes decades to dig one site. Alot of civilizations are at the bottom of the sea, anyway. I don't know whether you are being sacarstic or what because you say one thing and imply another. Yes, there is alot of history missing as to how immediatly civilizations appeared everywhere around the globe at 4000BC when previously there is no proof to being any before that time. Doesn't mean there weren't any.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
God created the Earth and everyting in it (Not everything that we see today today, but humans, plants, animals, oceans, and land.) in six 24-hour days.

Genesis 1:1-20, 31
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." 7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

9 And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good.

11 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

20 And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

[Skipped a bunch of verses]

31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

So there you have it. Six 24-hour days.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by alundaio
Archaeology can't find everything, it takes decades to dig one site. Alot of civilizations are at the bottom of the sea, anyway. I don't know whether you are being sacarstic or what because you say one thing and imply another.

No, no, I am surely not being sarcastic nor do I have any intention to be rude; thats no way to carry out a discussion. I guess you are assuming that I am saying one thing and implying another, perhaps because you may be viewing the matter with a different perspective. The issue was only about 6000 years or 250,000 years. You were right in your information. The 6000 years, according to the bible could have been merely the starting of the period when man accumulated the knowledge responsible for the sudden development which happened thereafter, maybe through some evolution process or by the intervention of a God.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
If you have to interpret the bible, and have many ways of interpreting it, then it's not a useful document. It's that simple.

Especially considering the bible's love of contradicting itself. Either God has multiple personality disorder, or it's the word of man. And I didn't think perfect beings had mental illness.

Using the bible as a reference for anything other than an anthology of stories bronze-age people told to scare each other is inherently ridiculous. Its logical flaws and sheer naivety should be enough for any sane person to dismiss it as an attempt of social control, in lieu of having a police force and legal system.

Why people still bang on that it's anything special is beyond me.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacerobo
The 6000 years, according to the bible could have been merely the starting of the period when man accumulated the knowledge responsible for the sudden development which happened thereafter, maybe through some evolution process or by the intervention of a God.

The current evidence actually points to the beginnings of civilisations about 12000 years ago.

Section III: Farmers and Herders
This section describes perhaps the most important development in all human prehistory: the beginnings of agriculture and animal domestication.

This defining chapter began about 12,000 years ago, when hunter-gatherers in the Near East broke from the long human tradition of intensely mobile foraging and turned to more settled ways of life built around cultivating cereal grains or tending animals.

Source

Obviously civilisations didn't just pop out of existence.

It would have taken ... as it did ... thousands of years and an unknown amount of attempts to get it to a stage that left major archaeological evidence.

At the moment it is believed that civilisations, in the strict sense of people living in cities started about 5000 years ago.

Up until that point, any number of allied village, towns and large town co-operatives would have existed. They would have had a very advanced level or "civilised" living.

Farming animals and crops, leadership systems, defensive and offensive systems, belief systems and trading systems.

These would have been eventually combined by force or by choice into civilisation.

Of course as time goes on and it may comes to pass that we find evidence of civilisations even earlier than 5000 years ago.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
In the Vedic Upanishads time is measured according to a strict pattern. Time for the gods is different from time as we see it. They say that one day for a god equals one solar year, and further one god-year is 360 years for man. A great period Mahu Yuga is 12.000 godyears = 320.000 years for man. And then they have 1000 Mahu Yuga or a Kalpa = 4.320.000.000 years. After that period the world is destroyed and such a period equals one day of Brahma's life and with the following night there has passed 8 billion 640 million human years. And Brahma lives for a hundred years! 311 billion 40 mill. years!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
In considering the extra terrestrial aspect of our past, does this mean that 6000 years ago was the time that our DNA was modified by the various races that have interacted with us and chose to modify us, and not far further in the past? Or was that 250,000 period beforehand a sort of "growing" phase for the modifications they made to fully blend in with our own native DNA? To give us time to adapt to it, as it were.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

reply to post by Iggus

I sincerely do appreciate your insistence that God created the universe in 6 earth days, against all physical evidence, in accordance to the bible (word to word). I think it will be inappropriate for anyone to try to convince you otherwise. I do sincerely, also, wish you all the best. Blind faith often achieves greater things than faith with a lot of unanswered questions. I am confident that the Almighty will bless you abundantly for this unwavering faith.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by spacerobo]

Sorry I should have replied earlier. I am pretty sure that to believe in a resurrection is "against all physical evidence, in accordance to the bible (word to word)". I presume therefore that you don't believe in the resurrection?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iggus

reply to post by Iggus

I am pretty sure that to believe in a resurrection is "against all physical evidence, in accordance to the bible (word to word)". I presume therefore that you don't believe in the resurrection?

I do very ardently believe in resurrection, again, "against all physical evidence---". If you have felt that I am one of the "non-believers", it may have been because of my posts. In fact, I do very ardently believe everything that is said in the bible. However, due to the nature of my profession and my own personal interest in science and astronomy, I try to figure out how a statement of fact by science and astronomy can match the relevant statement in the bible, which I believe is also one of fact.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by spacerobo]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
pritty amazing this GOD character ain't he.

"God created everything in six days, on the seventh he rested."

Not bad considering that nothing was alive before anything existed! Total sh*t you people believe in.....I have yet to see 'ANY' proof of any GOD. All that the bible is, is a book which has recorded history. Things that have happen to normal human beings through the years but you all take it on as if its some mystical god. Total idiots!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join