It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hope for our lifetimes(?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I suppose this comes under predictions, (mods please move if this is relevant something else)

How many here feel a lack of hope for the future, does any sense that we will all see major catastrophies on a new scale within our lifetimes. Let's face the fact that this planet is heating up at an incredible rate, the polar icecaps are melting. Some scientists say that we could be decades from an Ice age in Europe because of the change in water in the gulf stream caused by global warming. These things still denied by the oil hungry bunch in charge of America. (or so they say) Anyway getting off the point.

Never have so many countries and terrorist organisations had access to so many weapons of monumental mass murder. The potential for serious problems has already started to rise since America and the U.K invaded another country in the middle east, creating more hatred. The west is hated. If Bush gets another four years of power then things can only get worse, the war on terrorism slowly takes away more of our rights, leading to civil unrest.

I think the potential for problems has never been greater. I thought this thread could be a discussion about the possibility of large scale disasters in the near future. If the war on terror is all based on lies ( like the Iraq war) and intelligence has been continually exagerated then what plans do these people have for the future? 2012...

Some points of discussion.
Pentagon planning for global warming catastrophe
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Bush administration distorting science.
World Wide Power Outage planned for future?
TERRORISM: Car Bomb Explosion whilst Rumsfeld visits Iraq
War On Terror is a Fraud
2012 Summer Olympics in New York
WW3 Predictions
and of course the chilling account relating to 2012 in:
OH JEEZUS! Conversation with a cab driver

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Hope for the future? Sorry to say that I don't see any. The best that I hope for is that something big will happen soon and the world will be completely changed...not really in a good way, but that it will just change.

My long term girlfriend and I decided not to have children because of the current state of the world. Which is something that I am quite upset about, but I do see the logic of the decision and you can't argue with logic.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I believe that everything goes in cycles. I think that we're reaching the end of 'our' time and that soon a complete 'format' (sorry, I'm a computer guy) will take place, with a new beginning.

I mean, like was mentioned, humanity as a whole is just going further and further down the spiral of self-destruction. There are a lot of good people out there, but they are vastly outnumbered by all the evil in this world, such as greed and murder. People are accepting this and not doing much about it, and even if they tried, I don't think they would be able to get rid of it completely.

I think it will be a good thing, since a big catastrophe will wipe out all the evil in the world, and then we can start over.

I'm in my early 20's and right now, I would not want to bring children into this world, unless I can somehow shelter them from all this hate and greed and violence.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
well people have been feeling hopeless for a long time now (years and years) and even though it seems that things will only progressively get worse, it is always possible that nothing will happen and we continue living in this turmoil for many more years to come.

however with almost all major religions claiming we are in the end of day cycle, it is quite possible that something catastrophic does happen. However when it does, I do not believe that all of humanity will be wiped out, more than likely it will be most of our technological advances and we will have to start over.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
As long as you are alive there is hope.

I have lived through a hell of a lot worse than global warming and high gas prices.

People think this is bad?

This is the most awesome time in the world to be alive IMO.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
There should be some hope for humanity as a whole, with the impending year 2012, which is when the Earth and humanity's awareness reaches a new cycle of understanding.

Right now, we are mired and destitute under the barrage of the information age, where all humanity does is memorize existing information and regurgitate it. We are literal information robots, who collect and feed the technology that we have come to rely on.

With all the catastrophic predictions and the Earth's warnings of impending disasters, perhaps the humanity we are will come to realize that we depend on the Earth for our survival, and that creating boundaries between ourselves and our natural environment will bring nothing but a mass human cleansing.

I feel that we as humanity have a chance to change our ways before it is too late, but I don't know, maybe we will be reminded catstrophically of our dependence on the Earth.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
My long term girlfriend and I decided not to have children because of the current state of the world.

that is actually ridiculous. if you want to have children have children. i have never come across so many negative people in one website...:bash:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by happyk

My long term girlfriend and I decided not to have children because of the current state of the world.

that is actually ridiculous. if you want to have children have children. i have never come across so many negative people in one website...:bash:

Both myself and my gf believe that it would be nothing less then cruel to subject a life form to the state of our current world and the probability of the hardships of this oncoming future. This is just our opinion, but it is one that seems quite reasonable. The world is not a healthy place for children. Sad...but true.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
i agree that the world is not as nice as we'd like it to be (everyone'es gonna shout 'understatement od the century!' at me) but that shouldnt mean u should chose not to have kids. u never know ur kid could change the world(how corny) but im serious. it seems crazy to throw away the amazin opportunity of having a child. unless ur paranoid things in the world really shouldn't get to you so bad that you dont want to live. if you could chose would you ask ur parents to not have u?? theres so much more to life than just worrying about the environmental state and what the presidents doing. i know its bad and i know terrible things happen. but unless you can really do something about that and affect it then why let it get you down...

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
But in all realality we all scretly want something to happen in our lives.

Its the same reason that some watch racing, Watch cops, realiaty shows, anything like that. We the people secrtly like tragedy.

I can say I would rather something happen in my life.

I would rather not miss it. Most will die fast anyway. If True Terror strikes.

I see it as a challange, A challange to survive.

But at the end of the day, it will be the same. Nothing has changed.

What do you really hope for?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

The world is not a healthy place for children. Sad...but true.

Just keep them away from Michael Jackson and things will be OK.

If you think now is bad not too many years ago you had 15 kids in hopes that 2-3 would survive to adulthood.

The chose is yours but if I WANTED kids I would not let the worlds problems stop me

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

What do you really hope for?

i guess i hope i will meet someone that i'd like to be with. and that i'll be successful. and that my family will be happy. i know what you mean abou the tragedy thing but thats actually concerning people who are oppressed by happiness... im sure if you asked people who have experienced terrible things they wouldn't turn around and say 'oh i'd quite like a nuclear war that would be exciting'

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

You have no idea how much I agree with you!

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

The chose is yours but if I WANTED kids I would not let the worlds problems stop me

agreed. i respect your opinion but i think its a damn shame.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by happyk
i agree that the world is not as nice as we'd like it to be (everyone'es gonna shout 'understatement od the century!' at me) but that shouldnt mean u should chose not to have kids. u never know ur kid could change the world(how corny) but im serious. it seems crazy to throw away the amazin opportunity of having a child. unless ur paranoid things in the world really shouldn't get to you so bad that you dont want to live. if you could chose would you ask ur parents to not have u?? theres so much more to life than just worrying about the environmental state and what the presidents doing. i know its bad and i know terrible things happen. but unless you can really do something about that and affect it then why let it get you down...

Not trying to be negative but your totally bashing thier rights to free will and choice. Your trying to dictate to them why they need to have kids while not respecting thier personal values and beliefs. Lets try accepting* that fact and reflecting on it, instead of pressure and assimilation

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by thedarkprojekt]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I do i do i do i feel it i do. LOL. Im playing but really i do fell that there will be destruction within our lifetimes, perhaps even this year............

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedarkprojekt

Your trying to dictate to them why they need to have kids while not respecting thier personal values and beliefs. Lets try accepting* that fact and reflecting on it, instead of pressure and assimilation

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by thedarkprojekt]

sorry i did say i respect your opinion i think you've misunderstood. it totally their choice but i think that theres so much more than world problems. sorry if it came across as pressurising.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   

You have no idea how much I agree with you!

I am sure glad... I really thought I was going to get ripped.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
also by using the word 'u' i meant people in general not you in particular!

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Hope for the future? Sorry to say that I don't see any. The best that I hope for is that something big will happen soon and the world will be completely changed...not really in a good way, but that it will just change.

I just hope that if something bad does happen and most of us are gone, that there are SOME survivors.

And if it takes 20, 30, 50 thousand more years for us to get us up out of the predicament we put ourselves in, we'll only be better for it.

As a matter of perspective, Earthtone, never before have we had global communications such that we could view in near real-time what was going on around the world and be frightened by it.

And then have access to this thing called the internet where we can get on this virtual community called ATS and express to each other our hopes and fears.

I think there is more to be hopeful for now than there has ever been. I think if we spent half the time we spend in this virtual world on the street doing something about it, there would be a lot more to be hopeful for.

Ah, hell. Just make sure to vote.

DC

top topics

<<   2 >>

join