It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hope for our lifetimes(?)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
first, kids:

I choose not to have kids until there is some kind of world charge against ignorance. My GF's daughter went to an awesome preschool and kindergarten, but we had to move back to Cheyenne (family, friends, connections to at least a couple jobs, etc.). Now that she's in a public school again (Cheyenne has something against smart kids, I swear!) she has stopped 'learning' and started to 'regurgitate'. It's a bunch of crap! And I know it's not just the particular school she's going to... I went to 4 different gradeschools and they all teach the same. Charter school is the way to go. But, what this illustrates is how our kids are taught: Read from a book and tell me what you read. I spent most my life as an only child (I would get to spend like 2 months with my stepsister when we both went to our parents for the summer) so I kinda had to have an imagination. Mostly my life as a kid consisted of TONS of Alfred Hitchcock magazines, tearing everything apart to see how it worked, building model cars and ships, various arts and crafts, and before I began my social life in Jr/High school, It wasn't uncommon for a friend to stop by with me going "Check this out! I built this working model of a turbocharger out of a beer can and scrap metal!" or something like that. That is about the best education I had, to tell you the truth... that and spending virtually 2 years straight sitting in the county librarylearning how to build a late 70's microcomputer, or researching everything I can about Edgar Cayce. Unfortunatly library systems all over the US are kinda in turmoil because of lack of funding.

OK, so I didn't have much of a bad childhood. My dad was a welder and machinist, and went full-time in the Air Guard when I was in 3rd grade, so I was always learning how to work with raw materials of some sort. It was fun, but nowadays most adults don't have the time like my dad did to show their kids how to rebuild a dirtbike from the ground up. I really don't have the time, and I would not want to have my kid suffer. I really don't want to bring a kid into this world just to learn propaganda and disinformation. I want to see most, if not all, the corruption and ignorance gone before I bring a kid into this world. I would love to be able to tell my kid(s), when they gripe about 'this homework is too hard' or 'this person is mean', all about when "over 90% of the people you used to talk to were mean, and they didn't even know why... you have it so good." and "just be glad you are actually learning something useful in school! I remember when...". What would be kewl is when they can look it up and be like "wow... my dad was right... we do live in a much better world than he did".

I looked it up... contrary to what most of our grandparents told us, they did NOT have to walk 5 miles, uphill both ways, in 10 feet of snow EVERY DAY THEY WENT TO SCHOOL!

When it comes to the end of the times, or world, or whatever, I just hope that all the liars and scandalous people get transported to some space island of their own and hit with the 'retarded' switch. (switch= like a branch... you use a switch to spank with, and believe me... I would've rather got my arse whooped 20 times by my dad's leather belt than that damn rubbery twig!) Maybe if that happens, someone can hit 'em with the ugly switch, too... that way they are less inclined to breed!

Oh, and I think it's a good thing that people aren't willing to have kids with the world the way it is right now. We can definitly use the population decline. I really haven't had anyone explain to me in terms that even remotly make sense, why are we so afraid of population decline? Are we afraid, as a world, that some alien is gonna say "You are all destroyed! You could not provide enough humans for us!"? Will it somehow affect the world economy? And if it did, so what? We have less people, but the same amount of money... that, in a sense, makes everyone richer, doesn't it? I'm not an economist, and every single one I have ever met that claims to be an economist has the most screwed up ideas of how stuff works... like they can't see past the damned pie charts and crap and look at what is REALLY going on.

I think I got off topic a bit, but I'm going to leave this as is. I'm too lazy to edit, lol

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by happyk
i it seems crazy to throw away the amazin opportunity of having a child. unless ur paranoid things in the world really shouldn't get to you so bad that you dont want to live. if you could chose would you ask ur parents to not have u?? theres so much more to life than just worrying about the environmental state and what the presidents doing. i

Why bring a child in the world if there is a very real chance that he will live to see most of the west, or the whole world, being wiped out? You should have a read of some of the links i posted up, at least the one about the impending ice age.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I do not believe that all of humanity will be wiped out, more than likely it will be most of our technological advances and we will have to start over.

See now this could be a turn for the better, man needs a new start, everything is heading for a crash. A world without cars, computers, and science could realy do wonders for the world climate(maybe?) It would at least give mother Earth a sigh of relief. We need to be at one with our planet, not destroying it like we are now. All other creatures can manage it just not the greedy humans.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone

Why bring a child in the world if there is a very real chance that he will live to see most of the west, or the whole world, being wiped out? You should have a read of some of the links i posted up, at least the one about the impending ice age.

Why get in a car when the chances of crashing are very real

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I'll take this one...

When I get into a car, yes... I know what my chances of crashing are... I also know my chances of survival in different kinds of crashes. Why? Because I felt the need to know.

Ok, so here's the diff between me getting into a car when I know the chances of getting into an accident are very real, and bringing a kid into the world:

When I get into a car, I am taking my life into my own hands. When I bring a kid into this world, that makes me responsible for someone else's life.

BTW, (I KNOW this would've come up next anyways), if I get into my car, and someone else is in my car with me, that is his or her decision!

Children can't, for years and years, make their own decisions. They have to be 1) taught what decision making is, 2) be taught how to make decisions and 3) taught how to make GOOD decisions. And, in most of America, kids aren't even allowed by law to make their own decisions until they are 18 years of age (16 in some states, 17 in others, etc.)... THAT"S 16-18+ YEARS THAT I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO THAT HUMAN BEING! IT"S NOT A 10 MINUTE CAR RIDE TO THE STORE! Just for argument's sake, if I knew that once I got into a car I couldn't get out for 18 years, I wouldn't do that either.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by happyk

Why get in a car when the chances of crashing are very real

So what? Life is a whole series of risks. Everything we do can potentially lead to injury or death, so why do anything? Analyzing the potential for the future isn't anything to do with this.....

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
ur so moody earthtone,whats up with u

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
2012,2012,2012 is all people say now...its only a fukin
sheesh these religions do it for the publicity you crazy moronic undergrates......they all said the world was going to end at 2000 did it...NO...than they said its going to end at 2001 because the 1st year was supposed to be started at 1 and so than 2000 years have gone by NOTHING HAPPENS!!!!....ICE CAPS ARENT MELTING!!!!!!! the ice burgs that fall off eventually melts and new water is frozen DONT YOU READ!!!??? the air has been getting cleaner these past ten years due to recent studies THE WORLD ISNT GOING TO END BECAUSE SOME LUNATICS LIKE 2012 BECAUSE ITS DIVISABLE BY 4 or 6

they all said the world was going to end to make money
MONEY IS FEEDING THIS!!!!!!!
GOD DAMMIT THE WORLD ISNT GOING TO END ANYTIME SOON MAYBE YOUR 1 billionth generation might see the world end but by then wed probably colonized a billion planets.....the earth will end sometime but we will be someplace else....you know you paranoia people always think the world is going to end and people actually beleeve this crap.....i can csay the world is going to end 2morro and you people would probably beleeve that too

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I want to have a friggin' hoover-board!

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
okay so you want a hover craft huh??????? get a vacuum cleaner take out the motor change the power supply to highest possible and make it spin the other way as in blowing it out instead of sucking it in....take those rubber things that you go tubing with...stick it on and you have a hovercraft

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
No, I want a hover-board!

Like Marty have in "Back to the future", but not a pink one.

BTW, I was just kidding. I have no other serious hopes besides working my life aways like a slave and dying when I'm done...

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
ohhh you mean like a hovering skateboard??? that will come in sometime when they find out how to use antigravity thingies

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Here's what Metallica has to say:

BLACKENED
Blackened is the end
Winter it will send
Throwing all you see
Into obscurity

Death of Mother Earth
Never a rebirth
Evolution's end
Never will it mend

Never

Fire
To begin whipping dance of the dead
Blackened is the end
Color our world blackened

Blistering of earth
Terminate its worth
Deadly nicotine
Kills what might've been

Callous, frigid chill
Nothing left to kill
Never seen before
Breathing nevermore

Never

Fire
Blackened is the end

Blackened
Opposition, contradiction, premonition, compromise
Agitation, violation, mutilation, planet dies
Darkest color
Blistered earth
True death of life

Termination, expiration, cancellation, human race
Expectation, liberation, population laid to waste
See our mother
Put to death
See our mother die

Smoldering decay
Take her breath away
Millions of our years
In minutes disappears

Darkening in vain
Decadence remains
All is said and done
Never is the sun

Never

Fire
Blackened is the end
Fire
Is the outcome of hypocrisy
Darkest potency
In the exit of humanity

Blackened

Words and Music by James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich and Jason Newsted
Copyright � 1988 Creeping Death Music (ASCAP)
International Copyright Secured All Rights Reserved

<< 1   >>

join