It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have another Diet Coke

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I dont drink it often, but a coke zero every once and a while helps me out.

Ill take the poisons for a couple hours of energy.
I think I'll be ok.

But thanks for the info!
always good to know that stuff, though I already knew about the water bottle thing from here:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MouseOnMars

I have to tell ya, I have an extreme reaction to MSG, and unfortunately when I eat out, I am at the mercy of the menu, people will tell you there is no MSG when there is in fact, MSG. The sickest I have ever gotten was after eating a most delicious meal at Zaxby's. No wonder it was so flavorful, it was LOADED with MSG, I had to go to the hospital and they gave a shot for the vomiting and nasuea, headache. It blurs my vision for up to 3 days after consumption, and that is about how long it takes me to get over a single 'overdose' of the stuff. I really would like to know when a restraunt uses MSG, but they don't have to tell me. I cook most of my meals myself now, to avoid the MSG amounts that are in prepared and fast foods.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
This hits home with me, I am severely allergic to sugar substitutes and it will put me out for the rest of the day with a terrible migraine. This actually caused me a great deal of grief when I was in highschool, as my mother would send me off to school with a pack of Extra gum every day and I would be worthless after a class or two in the morning.

I never really put it together until I was about 19 and I realized that anytime I had a diet something or other I would end up with a bad migraine. I started doing more research and found out how bad that stuff really is for you.

Recently I've gotten my wife to look at all the labels and we try to avoid high fructose corn syrup and any artificial sweetener in it. (Splenda included, that stuff gives me a headache as well and is a highly processed ingredient) You will be amazed at how many foods contain HFCS that you wouldn't think even need to be sweetened, Rice Krispys and almost any white bread as examples.

It's a huge huge problem that the majority of our food supply is being rapidly supplemented and replaced with chemicals born from lab experiments. This isn't something that can be realized within 20 years from the initial widespread use of them, we don't have any data of what a lifetime spent consuming these chemical replacements will do to a human being.

Awareness is key in this matter, if people start refusing to purchase foods with these things in them and support the companies and brands that choose not to add these things, the market goes away. It's all driven by supply vs demand and after all this is a great capitalist country and sometimes people forget they can use that to their advantage and purchase from whoever they choose.

That's my rant on it, great thread, love to see this kind of stuff get brought up and it's even better seeing people that post saying they just had a diet coke earlier and weren't even aware that it could be bad for them.

Awareness is key!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by HaTaX

Hi Hatax! That is very similar to how I found out what was causing me so much sickness, my mother and I would be laid out sick every Sunday when I was a kid, every Sat night we had a traditional family cookout and always had hamburgers. Hamburgers that we coated, literally, in Accent. Oh man, they tasted soooo good, but before the sun would come up, she and I would be fighting for the tiolet to throw up in! The headache that comes with MSG is overwhelming, you cannot raise your head up off the pillow! Aches and pains follow for a few days, along with the blurred vision. When I was much older, I figured it out myself, the first time I bought and used Accent at home. When she cut it out of her diet the headaches stopped, and like me, only occaisionally you might eat out and wind up with a big ole dose of MSG and it lays you out!! I hate it, but I have found that if it tastes exceptional, it is because it is loaded with MSG.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Hi. my name is... I'm a cokeaholic

I drink 1l of coke a day, twice as much in summer.
Have been doing this for the last couple of years. It hasn't done me anything bad yet and I don't think that it will. I also eat a lot of fast food. None of it has had any negative effects on me.
I'm not fat nor I have any other health problems...

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue10110
Hi. my name is... I'm a cokeaholic

Have been doing this for the last couple of years. It hasn't done me anything bad yet and I don't think that it will. I also eat a lot of fast food. None of it has had any negative effects on me.
I'm not fat nor I have any other health problems...

Yes, I love coke too I admit, but you must be young. Your fine now, but 10 years later, you might look back and think dammit! I should have eaten more healthily.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Well....if he keeps 30 pounds off my ass it is worth it. Besides all the other abuse I put my body through is 10 times worse. Health food nut I am not...That and I dont want to live forever. 55 is fine with me. anything after that is down hill.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Aspertame effects the nero-transmitters and can very quickly lead to acute depression. Stay away from this icky substance at all cost; but if you must drink it, drink it in extreme moderation. The FDA probably should not have allowed this on the market in the first place, but they did, so be careful with it as it alters mood and the mind. Also children in stages of early development should definately not be exposed to this substance at any time.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I can't drink diet coke anyway as it also contains saccharine which seems to trigger my migraines. Just another ingredient amongst the concoction of chemicals that are clearly bad for your health!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by HaTaX

Jus briefly read some of the other post's and I'm glad.. well not glad but comforted to know that other people suffer migraines from artificial sweetners too. Maybe it is the aspartame not saccharine that triggers it.. I avoid all sugar free soft drinks now anyway.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

You made a statement that you only wanted to live to be 55 because everything after that is down hill. Hahahahaha you silly young one.

Everything gets better after 55. If you apply yourself while you are young you too can be retired from work at 55 and be free of responsibility and do exactly what you want to. I just thought my wild and crazy days of my youth were good. I was wrong. I'm 61 now and fish , hunt, ride my motorcycle, hit the woods on my 4 wheeler and finally have a boat I can spend the night on. Oh, I might add, it really is more fun doing those things sober and straight.

I'm female but never did like girly things to do. I've taken many falls and cheated death more times than I like to remember. But I never drank diet drinks or ate much junk food. Give me real butter, honey, and fresh home grown food.

Get back to me when you reach age 55 if ATS is still around and tell me how it feels. Believe me, I doubt seriously you could be harming your body any more than I did up until a few years ago. I was hell bent on destruction. More was better and not much under the sun I didn't try. But I've always taken care to eat wholesome food and get the proper nutrition.
Eating well gives you the energy to do all the things you may want to do without the side effects of chemical laden food.

But who am I to know anything. I'm just an old woman rebuilding her 1973 HD sportster 1000 when she has spare time from having fun in the sun. Hahaha downhill my white butt. It's just getting good now my friend.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
We drink organic milk only, it tastes so much better than regular. Braums milk is growth hormone free and doesnt use across the board antibiotics.

Just an FYI for those who cant easily find the organic. We also use a brita filter and buy as many fruits and veggies organic.

Ever noticed that organic milk stays good for ages longer than regular milk.
Its not uncommon to find cartons with expiration dates of well over a month; and it does stay good that long.

The only soda my son gets is the occasional 7-up because it has 5 ingredients, lemon lime, water sugar,co2.
oh and the occassional big sky strawberry cause he is fiend for them lol.
When I see moms putting cola in their childrens bottles I want to smack them on the head like the V-8 commercials.

I do drink some diet coke but if I over do it I get migraines. But the diet coke with splenda (which im not sure is any better) is weird tasting. When I was pregnant the doctor told me to avoid aspartame like the plague because it effects brain development.

Tons of people are allergic to MSG, my dad being one of them. He has constant low level hives because it is in nearly everything we dont make from scratch, anytime you see natural flavors, or spices on a label chances are it MSG. It can also be called several other things.
IF he eats chinese food or similar with a lot of msg he swells up like a balloon and has take a huge amount of benadryl and he now has to carry an epi-pen just in case.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue10110
[]
None of it has had any negative effects on me.

Alert...

***Sri Oracle is getting a premonition from the future again***

...adult onset diabetes; pre cursed by a period of hypoglycaemia...

*twitch* *twitch*

nevermind...

I cannot fathom what made that come to mind. Sometimes I get false signals.

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Worse than apartame is the spleda.

I am allergic to that stuff. I have bought products that did not advertise on the package it had splenda, and found out later when I am in Severe pain . Also note it is called sucralose on some packages , not splenda, I found out later.
It delivers chlorine rite into your cells.

I avoid all fake sugars. If I need sugar, I use the real stuff. Its not like I eat a lot of the stuff.

Here is a news article link , that talks about both, and how they cause a hypersenstativeity syndrome.

www.lookingglassnews.org...

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
So what the hell do we have left to drink and eat?
Plastic bottle drinks bad, Diet or Regular drinks bad, tap water (unless filtered) bad, milk bad, all of the juice/tea packets that contain artificial sweeteners bad.
All food unless organically grown locally bad.
I am not being negative, I am very serious. I am so freaking confused and distressed about what to feed my kids, what should they drink, how do I keep them healthy?
We would have to be VERY well off to buy these healthy foods on a regular basis...
How do poor families stay healthy?
Does peanut butter still cause cancer?
I stopped eating peanut butter for years because of the 1980's report that it caused cancer.
Even the organic/healthy more expensive foods and drinks usually have some kind of additive that is no good for you.
It is a vicious cycle isn't it?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

My thought process on this is that the less packaging the better and the more likely it is to be healthy or at least better for you. I put a lot of thought and effort into what we eat. I try to find a balance between the stuff that is hard to resist like reeses cereal, or doritos lol.

Most prepackaged health or organic foods are not that tasty, annies organic mac and cheese comes to mind..my dogs wont even that stuff.

But how hard is it to boil some pasta and make a cheese sauce with cheese milk and flour.

Homemade blueberry muffins made with fresh or frozen blueberries dont really cost any more to make but are a million time better for you than the hostess crap in a box. Use whole grain flour and its even better.

You can make your own yogurt using organic milk for pennies on the dollar compared to pre-made yogurt, add a pinch of honey or a bit of real sugar some fruit and sprinkle granola, or graham crackers on top and youve got dessert. You can even put it in those popsicle molds (without the granola) and have creamy healthy yogurt pops.

I bought an ice cream maker, I can make vanilla ice cream with 5 ingredients and it takes 5 minutes to mix and 20 in the ice cream maker. Tastes better than anything in the store and I know exactly what it is made with. I can also throw handmade yogurt in it and make frozen yogurt, or just fruit and a little simple syrup and you have sorbet or gellato etc.
ssshhhhhh.he doesnt know it isnt total junk food.

Rice crispies and some other basic cereals have very few ingredients and I know what each one is right off the top of my head. with bananas and a little sugar or really sweet strawberries its everybit as good frosted cookie sugar oh's

Carrots celery or cucumbers etc and homemade ranch (from the packet) is a great snack that most kids will love.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

I wish I could eat more healthily but the way the supermarkets work, they make it difficult or too expensive to find good unprocessed food. By the time I finish work, I am so tired, cooking just seems so much effort although I do try as much as possible. Also when you live on your own, It is SO difficult to cook a meal for one without wasting ingredients or having the same meal 3 times a week.

The bottom line is, If I had more money, I would eat better food and that is where the supermarkets have got families and regular people starting out in life by the balls. Ready meals ,GM fruit and veg and cheap meat, without spending a fortune on organic, is unfortunately the food of today.

In response to Dizziedame... It sounds as though you are really living it up now, it makes us young'uns remember what we are working our arses off for now!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Who cares ?

I will drink it till im blue in the face.

Then i will crack open another half dozen.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

So what the hell do we have left to drink and eat?
[]
All food unless organically grown locally bad.
I am not being negative, I am very serious. I am so freaking confused and distressed about what to feed my kids, what should they drink, how do I keep them healthy?
We would have to be VERY well off to buy these healthy foods on a regular basis...
How do poor families stay healthy?

emphasis mine

You are answering your own questions.

disruption of time/space causes cancer.
crude oil at the surface of the earth is a disruption of time/space

commercial peanuts grow in rotation with commercial cotton
both crops are smothered in oil derivatives; cotton more so

commercial... aka I would not eat it myself... but I produce it to sell to the masses to make cash.

talk to a commercial peanut farmer producing the Jiffy-nut...

barren fields of grey lifeless dusty growing media with nothing but peanut as far as the eye can see; doused 8 times per rotation in whatever proprietary concoction monsanto serves this year to kill off everything except their modified peanut.

I stopped eating peanut butter for years because of the 1980's report that it caused cancer.

I don't eat Jif or Skippy either if that is what you are referring to as "peanut butter".

Even the organic/healthy more expensive foods and drinks usually have some kind of additive that is no good for you.
It is a vicious cycle isn't it?

Whole Food.

Store bought organic, from trusted distributor, bulk 50# whole grain; barley, brown rice, etc. Store bought organic bulk 50# dried beans.

200 lb = $200

Home Grown Fruit and Nuts, there is some tree bush or shrub that thrives where every you live... spread it. Help it thrive.

Home Grown Vegetables. It takes so little land, 5 gallon pots even, to produce healthy vegetables. Save the seeds from the pepper you eat. Trade, barter seed amongst friends.

Wild Mushrooms - learn to recognize the ones in your area... walk in the woods... walk in the dew... chantarelle, morrell, etc. learn to grow your own hydroponic mushrooms; turn grain into vitamin B12... google video search PF TEK,

Trusted Dairy and eggs... Ideally live on unincorporated land where you can raise a goat, chickens; but if you have placed yourself in incorporated land, choose brands with good corporate philosophy; culture. Stonyfield, Organic Valley, Locatelli, Tillamook, etc. look for "no growth hormones" "free range", look for what grain was fed, etc. Consider packaging.

Occasional Wild Game, but only if you know who killed and packaged it. Only from clean land. Humane harvest.

plant a seed.
nothing has to be expensive.
nothing has to come through the system.
take care of yourself.

if the need be, and the will focused; you could keep a hydroponic goat and chickens in your basement...

hajib,

Sri Oracle

[edit on 4-4-2008 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

We dont have a lot of money, not by anymeans at all. PAying the utilities each month is panic attack inducing. I nearly cried last time I filled up my tank in my car. But with some planning and thought its really not that hard.

My hubby travels a lot so it is often just me and my 7 yr old. Trying to cook something small enough for the two of us that we will both enjoy is a serious challenge.
But I try to spend an afternoon every so often on the weekends or sometimes I do random all night cooking sessions making big portions of stuff like spaghetti, tortilla soup, potato soup without the chunks of potato, chicken casserole, You can even do fish or chicken breast and veggies and rice etc. or whatever similar things that will do well if frozen and re-heated. Then I portion them up into those cheapy ziploc storage containers and freeze them. It makes me much more likely to pull out one of those and pop it in the microwave or in the oven if I have prethawed them, than to run to a fast food place for dinner. You can toss in fresh veggies or potatoes at the time you are going to eat it to keep it from having mush freezer food syndrome.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join