It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the perfect aircraft

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
if someone could build the perfect craft that could out maneuver, out perform in speed, durability etc what would it look like?

I also want to get from any experts in aerodynamics on ats the best design for the perfect aircraft, anyone up for the challenge?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
The perfect aircraft design would result in a perfect sphere - aerodynamically perfect in every single way.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I was always led to believe that the perfect shape would be a teardrop. In any case the aircraft would have to be able to produce lift so at the very least it would need to be assymetrical about the horizontal plane.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Naboo the Enigma

The tear drop shape of falling water is a myth, or rather a common misconception. I suppose it comes from observing a drop of liquid on a surface - where surface tension and friction will indeed make a classic tear drop shape, or a drop that is from a dripping tap - again surface tension. But as soon as a droplet of water is in free fall and able to form into the most aerodynamic shape - It will be a sphere.

As regards a 'perfect' aircraft - why not take a leaf out of the droplets book, morph into the perfect design for any given situation... Not all that far fetched, 100 years of nano tech development could give us some crazy new materials.

And oh yhea, we just about reached the limit of what an aircraft can do with a meat bag in the seat (human pilot).. Cut out the dead weight and crank up the performance

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark_Ace
if someone could build the perfect craft that could out maneuver, out perform in speed, durability etc what would it look like?

There is no such thing.

Aircraft design is all about compromise.

The only way you get the best of everything is with a massive shift in technology that the rest have still to catch up to. Something like gravity-wells/inertial dampers/warp drives for instance.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
If your interested in the theory of a plane be it fighter etc then check out a thread I created 6 months ago about very much this same idea of the "best plane".

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=297043

Here is the list of factors that should be looked at for the development of any aircraft.

-Speed-

-Firepower-

-Manuverblity-

-Endurance-

-Situational Awareness-

-Invisibility-

for expanded info on each point and explanation check the link. Basically Kilcoo is right there is no best plane since it is impossible to get away from special roles that planes must preform and be built for ie A-10, B-2 or F-22 all can be flexible in how they preform there role but the A-10 will never be the best fighter ie F-22. Thats the simple explanation that can be given

Aerodynamics is the root to Speed, Manuverblity and Endurance but to excel in one means you can't be as good at the other. If you want speed you look at shapes like Concord or the Blackbird but if you want manuverblity you are looking more at then Falcon or Fulcrum and if its endurance you want then your looking at the U-2 or Rutan Voyager.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
look into the "aurora" flight project. its not perfect. but said to be dam near it. well, the best we earthlings can create anyway...
the sphere idea sounds promising.. but how would you get thrust, etc...?
mmm.... 'flying saucers' are round.... flat... pretty durable, etc... but apparently use worm holes to rip through space... i dunno... im just pondering at the moment... sorry if i dont make much sense.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I would agree with the poster who mentioned a sphere... a sphere is supposed to be perfect for extremely low radar signatures as well (so I've heard).

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by The Soothsayer

But a sphere for speed? how it is that the ball flowing through the air is better then the flying saucer or disk for not distubing the air?

If you look at a "perfect" aerodynamic shape known as the Sears-Haack body, roughly shaped like a cigar but pointed at both ends you'll see how much it looks like a cross section of a disc. In fact it looks like a saucer designed by Avro.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
reply to post by The Soothsayer

But a sphere for speed? how it is that the ball flowing through the air is better then the flying saucer or disk for not distubing the air?

As someone noted earlier, an aircraft is 100% compromise - in this case a perfect sphere is equally perfect aerodynamically in every direction, which means manoueverability is maintained to an equal degree in every direction, and also a sphere (with corresponding dimples) is damn near the lowest drag object you can effectively get.

When everything is taken into account, a perfect sphere is the best choice.

This is, of course, ignoring the complexities of propulsion for such a design et al.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

Well basically then we aren't talking about a plane. The question isn't what the perfect shape aerodynamically is but what is the perfect plane. If someone can show me a dimpled sphere capable of powered flight then we can continue the discussion about it. In my opinion though that doesn't address the perfect plane issue. If we all agree that there is no such thing as the perfect plane then technically this thread is dead.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

If we all agree that there is no such thing as the perfect plane then technically this thread is dead.

The perfect "plane" only becomes possible if you can remove the effects of mass and momentum.

But then its not really an aircraft at all, its a (pukka sci-fi) spacecraft operating in the air.

edit: actually, even then... you are always swapping space for weapons, engines, or sensors (etc etc). You can never have the best of everything.

[edit on 3/4/08 by kilcoo316]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well, according to many gov'ts of the world, the perfect airplane design is a...

WEATHER BALLOON

If FastWalkers can travel in excess of 9000mph, then those are the designs we want to create.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Canada_EH

BTW, Canada_eh. How come I can not view the images you posted when I click on them? Are the URLs incorrect? Or did someone remove them from the site?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by guppy

So then the thread is dead Kilcoo? lol

As for the images I host mine from photobucket and not here on ATS if your interested in where i got them or larger etc just U2U me.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
My perfect plane is an ultralight with about a 4000 mile range and an autopilot. I'd love to cruise at about 300ft all the way to Hawaii smelling the ocean all the way. You didn't specify "militarily" perfect. That's perfect for me.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HatTrick

Nice I like your interpretation of the question better almost.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

So then the thread is dead Kilcoo? lol

No.

The OP just has to define a specific role, then the correct compromises can be made.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kilcoo316

Thats all he gave us and in my opinion that is sounding like a fighter in which case I already have a thread geared towards this subject as linked earlier in this thread to my original one. Also I've out lined better some of the subject that would need to be talked about to create the perfect fighter. The generic title of this thread makes me think that this question my not be well thought out enough.

I'd suggest if this person in interested in this type of discussion to view my original thread and feel free to contribute to it and pose questions of his own there as well.
www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=297043

[edit on 4-4-2008 by Canada_EH]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join