It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man to Merge With Computer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Computer Merging With Human

The purrfect companion? Computers designed to bring man and machine closer than ever

It predicts fundamental changes in the field of so-called Human-Computer Interaction (HCI).

By 2020 humans will increasingly interrogate machines, the report said.

Many people say that robots or mechanical devices will never take over the human species. However, with techonology advacing at such a pace, the probability of machines being used more than our body parts is very high.

"Without proper consideration and control it is possible that we - both individually and collectively - may no longer be in control of ourselves or the world around us," the report warns

Slowly and slowly, the only part that will remain of us in the future might literally just be our brains. Maybe robots will learn to learn, and take over the human race just like in the movie The Matrix.

All of this I believe, is inevitable.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Geez...most of the CompuNerds I know are already merged with their puters...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Sign me up. Would love to read the entire Wikipedia web entires in 15secs. Or search the net with the blink of a eye. What I be worried about are viruses. I couldnt imagine getting Y2K on the brain.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I for one, am a proponent of the link, because it is inevitable. Plus, it will be hundreds of years before we call into question the loss of our control to our mech-counterpart.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I would also suspect that once they are able to prove life after death and the ability to transfer a humans spirit into an artifical brain type matrix, then we will be that much closer to immortality and possibly even saving some of the greatest minds or even bringing them back. Artifical bodies or even newly cloned better ones. No doubt only a select few will be the first. A convict may lose the privilege to use their own body in prison and it will be loaned out to others. I'm thinking of the lawn mower man scenerio for now though. I would imagine that other alien species have already accomplished this for space travel. Otherwise it sounds more like Borg technology.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I'm just afraid of the losing control part...

By merging with machine, humans can push beyond their physical and psychological limits.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Bleh.. Give me flesh and blood. In no way would I like to be half man, half machine.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

But will you change your mind as your body starts to weaken and the ravages of time become apparent?

Has modern times allowed man to visualize it's own potential and identify it's own body as a weak link?

What does the future hold?

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I like natural material much more than artificial. If I'm in a life or limb threatening position, then I'm okay with it. But as long as I'm not in such a position, and am fully healthy, then I don't want any bionics in my body.

And there are old people who are fit and healthy without bionics. My grandfather worked (he had his own steel welding shop) until six months before his death at 76, when he developed cancer, which was not treated optimally due to his own stubbornness (his opinion that he was always healthy and that real men were never ill).

I know an old man who walked, ran his businesses and drove his car until he died at 96.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Hey Bandito,
Yup those old timers have a lot of mental toughness. We all do the best we can given what we are given. I'm sure there are people from the older generation who don't use the internet because they think the local library is just as good (and moreover it's what they are used to).

I think the idea of merging computers with ourselves is scary to anyone because it seems so artificial. But 1000 years from now citizens of this planet might be horrified to know people existed without the aid of bionics, nanomachines etc... so it is all relative.

The Y2K of the brain comment was pretty funny though....

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master_Wii
Sign me up. Would love to read the entire Wikipedia web entires in 15secs. Or search the net with the blink of a eye. What I be worried about are viruses. I couldnt imagine getting Y2K on the brain.

Viruses could be a problem. However, I think that governments would get serious about it. Cyber crime taskforces would be set up to catch anyone who distributes a virus. Virus distributors would end up with life in prison.

Anyway, I want to stay natural. But if something happens to threaten my life, then I'd deal with whatever bionic/artificial parts necessary. I'd definitely use cyborg/bionic stuff that doesn't require surgeries though. It would be amazing to control a computer just by thoughts!

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I can just imagine the conversations in the future.

You got the new neural interface 6000.

I want one of those, my 4500 is dog slow.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

I would seriously hope that our conversations would have a little more 'umph' in the future then that!
Especially considering the whole reason we would do this intergration is to 'upgrade' our current capacities..

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I fully support this advancement.

I plan on being one of the firsts to volunter

As long as I feel there isn't too much risk for cancer and other ailments.

I personally don't believe my soul is 'inside' or 'bound to' my physical body, so I don't have any concern regarding that department.

The first thing I want is robotic eyes. Zooming vision. Video Capture. Infra-red vision. Night-vision. Holographic projection of ATS and Google. All this in my friggin eye-balls.

Mmmm Transhumanism ftw

[edit on 113030p://10u45 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
It's a very interesting prospect and a likely one, too.

Sign me up as soon as they get the sex bit worked out.

Who knows, they may even be able to come up with some improvements to it.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Once they figure out how to upgrade the human brain, i'll take it seriously.

Otherwise i'd load this baby up *taps forehead* faster than you could swear an oath of allegiance to the flag.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
A thought just occured to me that boggles the mind - this would really revolutionise the way that people communicate with each other, not just with machines.

Instead of communicating your point, you could simply share information via some sort of infra-red beam (perhaps fitted into the retina), thereby allowing both individuals to share data instead of sitting there shouting "You're wrong" at one another.

Twud' be a case of "Your data seems incorrect", which is far less personal.

People would generally be nicer to one another, i think.

Course - i'd still be paranoid about whether or not someone had hacked my brain, but then i suppose i'm moving onto GITS territory here...

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

No one hasn't been able to understand consciousness fully yet. So I think we're a long way from figuring out how to upgrade the brain.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Well that's the thing really - just how much information can the brain store, and how much of it can we use in order to contain the information we'd be uploading from the machines?

Once these questions are answered, then the idea of an advanced "Human-Computer Interaction" will feel so real that even the most devout anti-technology activist will have to sit up and take notice.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
It's a very interesting prospect and a likely one, too.

Sign me up as soon as they get the sex bit worked out.

Who knows, they may even be able to come up with some improvements to it.

Like four hands and eight nipples?

Hells yeah!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join