It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight to save Earth from tiny black hole

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Fight to save Earth from tiny black hole

www.smh.com.au

A GIANT particle accelerator that mimics the effects of the Big Bang could destroy all life on Earth by sucking it into a black hole, a lawsuit claims.

Walter Wagner, who runs a botanical garden on Hawaii's Big Island, and Luis Sancho of Spain have asked for an injunction to prevent the European Centre for Nuclear Research (CERN) starting up its Large Hadron Collider.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
So will it be the end of the world as we know it, or not?

Funny how many times CERN has come up in regards to conspiracy type stories, John Titor, now this, there might be more I don't know.

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I posted this earlier today.

Particle smasher will not hurt the earth

Tela

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Nah. They are extremely unstable, as I recall, and close up almost immediately after created.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Yeah but you have to admit using phrases like this one:

Although CERN scientists have already ruled out the possibility in a safety review, Mr Wagner and Mr Sancho say there is at least a small chance of annihilation of the planet and perhaps the universe.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

definitely catch the eye.

To think us lil ole humans could cause the annihilation of the universe is something...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Even though they say it is VERY unlikely, there is always a possibility even if very slight. Sure it closes up very fast but what if?.....even a few seconds could be enough time for it to suck up enough matter to strengthen and get larger. But to think it could destroy the whole universe........doubt it. There are countless black holes in our universe today and non of those seem to be doing the trick, so why would this one be any different. Our world, sure and in enough time our solar system but I suppose it would take billions upon billions of years to gobble up our entire galaxy. Its like the testing with the nuclear bomb. They weren't certain that it wouldn't ignite the atmosphere, burning the entire planet yet they did it anyways.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I've read in other places that they are fringe scientists so to speak, or pseudo-science may fit even better.

The whole subject is way over my head so I'd be arrogent to really speculate either way, I suppose.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Personally I think that if it may suck everything in, and that this information is out there available to the public, then it is available to everyone.

When I specify everyone I'm thinking other intelligent life forms.
Now think of this, if there is any chance that this thing would destroy everything , earth and the universe included, do you think higher advanced beings would allow this, especially seeing everything is connected thus everything will be affected.

Maybe some of them will show up before this thing launches.

IMO this thing is a star gate and has many more uses than specified.

Peace

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Drewdatt

I too am excited. Who knows what we could learn from black holes/white holes.

It could help us learn to make and stabalize wormholes or possibly use them for power.

I'm just speculating, but I am sure we could make good use of that technology if we could control it.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
And Manhattan Project scientists were also afraid that the first atom bomb test at Los Alamos, NM might set the earth's atmosphere on fire.

The people filing the lawsuit, etc. are nothing but Luddites IMO.

definition of Luddite

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This Wagner guy (the one opposing this) has a minor in physics. No PHD in Nuclear Physics or any such thing. Apparently the consensus amongst the science community is that his concerns are "unfounded"

Here is a current thread on this btw:

Lawsuit: Huge Atom Smasher Could Destroy World

[edit on 033030p://2u28 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Gotta wish those people didn't exist eh?

For centuries "luddites" (never heard that term before) have held back the progress of mankind.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I bet a few mad scientists playing God would love to think they are capable of annihilation.

Oh, the power!!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I bet a few mad scientists playing God would love to think they are capable of annihilation.

Oh, the power!!!!

Of the entire Universe no less!

Which means these guys think this mini-black hole will also vanquish countless massive black holes that already exist in the Universe.

"My Black-Hole could beat up your Black-Hole!!"

"My Black-Hole is like...10 inches.."

Egotism on an astronomical level

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
When we would destroy the universe we would be the first to succeed and first to go

If this really is the case the advanced aliens would stop it i'm sure.
But then again we could be doing things right now that affects things over there
or in other dimensions without even knowing it.

[edit on 2/4/2008 by Jeroenske]

[edit on 2/4/2008 by Jeroenske]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeroenske

If this really is the case the advanced aliens would stop it i'm sure.

I honestly believe this as well.

I think that's why there is so many UFO sightings around military bases, checking in on us, and making sure we are not about to 'blow it all up'. And by that I don't mean the entire Universe. I think they are just concerned neighbors

**To add, On Topic: in fact if there is a real legitimate concern with this black-hole maker, then I would expect and increase in UFO sightings near the area of it.

[edit on 043030p://2u24 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

bring on the wanton destruction!!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I know, i know....

Lets see whose black hole gets us first. Which is precisely why those Almadenians (sp) are here, to save us!

Who says Dr. Boylan is crazy?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Someone raised a good point in the comments section for the article.

The reason that the black holes are supposed to evaporate so quickly is because of Hawking Radiation (at least according to this poster who seemed to know quite a bit). The problem it, Hawking Radiation is theoretical and has never been observed in nature. What if it doesn't exist and therefore the black hole does not evaporate?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
InterestedObserver, you beat me to it.

That is exactly the problem with the LHC. All of the dangers that is poses are based on well established sections of particle physics. Sure, the chances are slim, but we know that they exist.

However, all of the arguments against such things happening, are based on theories of physics that are just that, theories. Hawking radiation is completely unfounded, with no evidence that it really exists.

I don't know about you, but if i had the choice between destroying the planet, let alone to universe, or playing it safe and concentrating on something like a mars mission instead, i would take the latter.

Its not being a luddite, its called having some logic

top topics

<<   2 >>

join