It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Space Station Robot Asks to be Called \"Dextre the Magnificent\"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   

New Space Station Robot Asks to be Called \"Dextre the Magnificent\"

apod.nasa.gov

Explanation: In a surprising and potentially troubling request, the new space station robot known as Dextre demanded that astronauts refer to it in the future at "Dextre the Magnificent." Brandishing power tools that would make any handyperson blush, the mobile servicing system thanked humans for creating it and promised a glorious future where humans would retain an important role in the new robot order. Happy April Fools Day from the folks at APOD. The classic fable of humans mistakenly creating technological evildoers dates back to Frankenstein and includes famous fictitious villains such as HAL and the Terminator. Dextre, although real, is no Frankenstein, since its computer intelligence is mainly geared toward allowing astronauts to control it remotely. Dextre was deployed last month to help build and service the International Space Station. As seen in the above picture, Dextre is truly a technological marvel, wielding long arms capable of handling both small tools and large modules with precision dexterity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Shades of Issac Asimov!!!

First we have robot Progress ships running freight to the ISS, then the ESA toss in the "Jules Verne", another robot ship... and now THIS???

The robot DEMANDED to be recognized?

Oh woah is us... no more Space Cadet carreers

:shk:

Astronauts Ready Shuttle Endeavour for Landing

The shuttle's crew accomplished every task on their lengthy to-do list, from adding another room to the international space station to assembling a giant robot that will help spacewalkers maintain the orbiting outpost.

www.foxnews.com...

Related to Robots...

Robot Ship "Jules Verne" Set To Head Into Space
www.spacedaily.com...

Europe Launches Jules Verne Robot Space Freighter
www.space-travel.com...

apod.nasa.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Are you joking are did you just miss this part?

Happy April Fools Day from the folks at APOD. The classic fable of humans mistakenly creating technological evildoers dates back to Frankenstein and includes famous fictitious villains such as HAL and the Terminator. Dextre, although real, is no Frankenstein, since its computer intelligence is mainly geared toward allowing astronauts to control it remotely.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
If I could get away with a zero line post I would, but I will give you a couple of points for the April the first effort, even though it is 02:00 April 2nd here in the UK.

Can you imagine if NASA realy did create something like this?

With the way technological advancements are progressing it should'nt be that far in the future!

Kind regards S_G

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

Me thinks he missed it!!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well, even though Dextre has arms, at least it isn't armed!

There have been robots patrolling the sunny sands of Iraq since the initial invasion, but until now, they've merely been there to scope stuff out. That was then, this is now. According to Noah over at the always-awesome Danger Room blog, the military has just deployed their new "special weapons observation remote reconnaissance direct action system" (SWORDS) that has been in development for the past few years. What are the SWORDS, exactly? Oh, just some bomb-disposal robots armed with M249 machine guns. Holy @#&%, robots with machine guns.
Gizmodo | First Fully-Armed Robots Patrolling in Iraq; First Shots Imminent

And they're being pushed for domestic use:

Armed robots -- similar to the ones now on patrol in Iraq -- are being marketed to domestic police forces, according to the machines' manufacturer and law enforcement officers. None of the gun-toting 'bots appear to have been deployed domestically, yet. Both cops and company officials say it's only a matter of time, however.

"Other than some R&D with the shotgun mount, we haven't used it operationally," Massachusetts State Police Trooper Mike Rogowski tells DANGER ROOM. "But they're on the way. They're coming,"
Wired |Armed Robots Pushed to Police

Are you sure Dextre doesn't have a couple of lasers?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I must say I am impressed with the intelligence being shown at ATS lately...

Now while it is true that the DEMANDS supposedly made by Dextre are an April Fools Day joke from NASA...

The robot most certainly is real...

Endeavour also ferried up a 12-foot, 3,400-pound robot named Dextre — complete with 11-foot arms — that was provided by Canada.

It took three spacewalks to put Dextre together outside the space station.

Astronaut Richard Linnehan, one of Dextre's assemblers, said the robot reminded him of something out of one of Arthur C. Clarke's science-fiction novels. Clarke died while the astronauts were in orbit.

But Dextre also struck an Old West pose later in the mission, Linnehan said, with one of its giant arms pointing out into space with a sort of pistol grip.

"It's just kind of stepping in the next age up here in robotics, in terms of having something that's going to actually be out there working and moving things around, other than humans," Linnehan told the AP.

www.foxnews.com...

Now since this was Wednesday, March 26, 2008 I will grant it may have missed the "Breaking News" by a few days... but since no other article on the Robot was found when I searched ATS forums... well

It seems its true then ATS is no longer the same place...

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
If one checks the credit at APOD for this April Fool is given to ISS Increment 16's crew, Commander Peggy Whitson, Yuri Malenchenko and Garrett Reisman. They got the ATV to within 36 Feet of Zvezda in "Demo Day 2" docking checkout. Docking is supposed to be on Thurs 10:41AM Florida time. No foolin'.

Speak'

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by xSMOKING_GUNx
If I could get away with a zero line post I would, but I will give you a couple of points for the April the first effort, even though it is 02:00 April 2nd here in the UK.

Why on Earth would I care about the time in the UK? I go by MY time...

Yes to those dumb enough to think I did not notice... I did post this April 1 MY TIME

Geez...

Can you imagine if NASA realy did create something like this?

Yes I can... and I did... and they did...
And according to my Pentagon contact... 'think Automation" is the key for upcoming space programs, secret or otherwise..

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

So if it does goe berzerkers we can just blame Canada!!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
So ummmm is now a bad time to tell you I am Canadian? :bash:

Yeah its a oneliner so sue me

[edit on 12-21-2112 by zorgon]

[edit on 2-4-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I thought you were German!!

Hey, good bacon, eh?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg
I thought you were German!!
Hey, good bacon, eh?

Born in Hamburg Germany...
Grew up in Toronto Canada
Currently reside in Las Vegas

and ummm due to certain 'circumstances' have dual Canada/US citizenship and German still recognizes mine as well...
Its great for world travel....

Yes the bacon is great... so are the Canadien Frauliens...
but 'eh' is an east coast term (and Alberta when the fishermen when to work in the oil fields)

Mon Dieux... You Yanks... I bet you think Canadians still live in Igloos

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

I must say I am impressed with the intelligence being shown at ATS lately...

Now while it is true that the DEMANDS supposedly made by Dextre are an April Fools Day joke from NASA...

The robot most certainly is real...

Nobody doubted that the Robot was real. We just doubted the fact that you realized that the part about the request was a April Fools joke, since you posted the entire story as real, and in ATS before being moved to BTS. You then went and got defensive when we questioned the post and even when on to chastise us as though we are stupid for not understanding the robot is actually real.

We know that, what we don't believe is that you realized that this was a joke before you posted it. If I am mistaken forgive me, but I don't think I am. If so..then you need to learn how to pull an April fools day prank.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
We know that,

Perhaps YOU did.. but it seems the actual Robot is of little interest... but I bet in a few weeks there will be several threads about it
as others 'discover' it

what we don't believe is that you realized that this was a joke before you posted it. If I am mistaken forgive me, but I don't think I am.

The ONLY part of that post that was April 1 related was the NASA contention that the robot 'made demands' It was not MY 'prank' It was a NASA Happy April Fool's day added to give a little spice to a genuine report... and it was clearly stated in that post... (well for those who can actually READ

So attacking my ability to create a prank is kinda dumb if you ask me.

My INTENTION was to break the story... how was I to know that ATS can no longer laugh a little but still get the message? The Robot story was and is Breaking News... There was no sensationalism of the headline... it was word for word to the original title... the link was posted etc etc all within the T&C...

I did not really expect to be pounced on for the timing of the post and the fact that NASA added a little humor...

But it seems lately at ATS that it is more important to attack the silly points and completely overlook the message...

If you do a few seconds search on the internet you will see just about every other forum posted the same message at about the same time...

I guess ATS wasn't interested...

Defensive? No I think this a valid point... Now the original mod who moved the thread suggested I start a new thread on the robot... I see little point in doing that right now... as there are now already three other threads on it.

If so..then you need to learn how to pull an April fools day prank.

Well when and if I feel the need to pull a prank... I will be sure to come ask the experts advice at ATS... There are many to chose from...

And to be perfectly honest... I do not see how you can even class it as a 'prank' as the story was very real... it only had a little humor inserted... which was even clarified in the very nest sentence...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
No doubt...Well it is a cool story and I'm gald you posted it. So either way, I give it 2 stars.

top topics

join