It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ooooh, Look what I found : Mazzy Star.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I first heard this a year ago or maybe longer, then heard a couple more on XM Radio, now I've got everything I can find.

Great Stuff.

Mazzy Star was an American dream pop band. They formed in 1989, from the band Opal, a collaboration of guitarist David Roback and bassist Kendra Smith. Smith's friend Hope Sandoval became vocalist when Smith left the band.

Mazzy Star is probably best known for the song "Fade Into You" which brought the band some success in the mid-1990s and was the group's biggest mainstream hit, earning radio and MTV airplay. Roback and Sandoval were the creative center of the band, with Sandoval writing most of the lyrics and Roback composing most of the music.

wiki: Mazzy Star

Mazzy Star

Into Dust:

Fade Into You:

[edit on 30-3-2008 by elevatedone]

[edit on 30-3-2008 by elevatedone]

[edit on 30/3/08 by JAK]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Awesome band, do you like Jesus & Mary Chain? Hope Sandoval did some guest vocals on Stoned and Dethroned...

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I love the song Fade into You...it has been my first song on my playlist for quite some time!
I really was'nt into it when it was a hit though!

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I didn't know that MS has been around so long.... some good reading info on those links.

I've DL'd some more of thier stuff, haven't given it a good listen yet though.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
odd timing here. I was in starbucks this morning and a song by them or the singer was playing. awesome stuff. been a fan of Mazzy for a while.

Jesus and Mary Chain are awesome too.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I listen to my fair share of shoegazing and dream pop -- and Mazzy Star definitely counts. Fade Into You is good, but I prefer Into Dust. That being said, everyone always forgets about the truly simple brilliance of Cry, Cry, and it would be a shame if I didn't at least mention it.

I agree with Crakeur about the Jesus and Mary Chain, but if you want to go to the roots of this style, start with the Cocteau Twins. Similar to J&MC, give My Bloody Valentine a shot. If you really dig Hope Sandoval (lead singer of Mazzy Star), you should also check out Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions. Other suggestions: Starflyer 59, Galaxie 500, The Church, Dream Syndicate, Catherine Wheel, and Swervedriver (Last Train to Satansville is a really wonderful song).

/tn.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I dont have speakers on this comp, but cant wait to hear Mazzy soon, what genre is it? Like? Who?

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Did you read my post at all? It is situated directly above yours and answers all the questions you just asked.

/tn.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by teleonaut

Damn fine suggestions there sir...

Does anyone know Swell? They were (are?) a U.S. stoner/shoegaze type band, just awesome, really miss them sometimes. My mates and I would always listen to them when we were drinking, when we were young.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Wow, going back here. I remember an ex-girlfriend that could do the most sensual slow dance to "Fade into you," probably because it was her profession, heh... That album is great for a candle lit night of fun with the lady friends.

[edit on 4/1/2008 by DiabolusFireDragon]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Thanks for th recomendation on the other bands / artist.

I'll be checking them out this weekend.

ANyone else know any music similar to Mazzy ? I can't get enough.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Shameless *bump*

My Wife actually likes Mazzy

She even played Into Dust on the jukebox at the bar.

Yahooo !!!!

new topics

top topics

join