It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blackwater…peacekeeping mercenaries

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I never used the word. Just pointed out its meaning . How can you imply something means somehting else using it in direct context to its meaning ? YOU are the one taking it out of context to *try* and pass disinfo. And make the word seems "bad"

Your definition only proves my point . Thanks for playing . Your consolation prize should arrive in 6-8 weeks . Don't hold your breath tho .

[Well at least if your gonna be a grammar Nazi . German is the best language to do it with.]

[edit on 28-3-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR

Originally posted by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR

I never used the word. Just pointed out its meaning .

Dance dance dance. C'mon now, you were defending biggie smalls a few minutes ago. Now you're gonna tuck tail and play Judas?

[Well at least if your gonna be a grammar Nazi . German is the best language to do it with.]

You started it with the (lack of) education remark. You got it thrown back in your face like a pie.
Don't be a sore loser. Just go away.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR

I never used the word. Just pointed out its meaning .

Dance dance dance. C'mon now, you were defending biggie smalls a few minutes ago. Now you're gonna tuck tail and play Judas?

I was defending the use of a common German word that means leader. Your still not getting it. I don't care why he said it . You took a common word and "demonised" It for your own agenda.
So your wrong sorry . I didn't even check the posters name cause it didnt matter.

[Reply by jsobecky]
You started it with the (lack of) education remark. You got it thrown back in your face like a pie.
Don't be a sore loser. Just go away.

If the shoe fits. ..... Don't try to make something out of nothing . It definitely didn't make you look "smart" Or "cool" to take a word and replace its meaning with your own narrow view of it. Are you still disputing the meaning of the word here or whats your argument again ?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Mercenary forces have been around since the beggining of massed warfare........From the Romans using barbarians to the Russians using the cossacks. The problem with Blackwater is that it now has the capability to unilaterily bring down any government that it chooses including the U.S if they turn against them. Blackwater were there at Katrina are in Iraq are in Afghanistan and now looking to 'peacekeep'
.....Many more innocent people will die in Sudan and other U.N missions as a result of this.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Damn it. Here we go people. The end of every empire is always ushered in by a round of applause. We may not approve, but there are many people out there who call the shots, and if they get scared, be prepared to see merc police forces....That won't be fun. I promise.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Mercenary forces have been around since the beggining of massed warfare........From the Romans using barbarians to the Russians using the cossacks.

I have heard this repeated quite a bit whenever someone mentions how bad Blackwater is. Usually as an opening to defend them, but sometimes followed with an "But the problem with Blackwater is..."

Blackwater is not unique, I'll credit that. But Mercenaries are not respectable soldiers or even a "necessary evil" in war. They are hired thugs who work for the highest bidder, and a despicable and underhanded tactic used historically to commit atrocities that civilized nations don't want to be associated with.

Think back to your American History, about how outraged the colonial revolutionaries were when they found out that Britain had the audacity to hire Hessian Mercenaries to fight against us. How do you think our Forefathers would feel knowing that we have resorted to using such despicable actions.

The use of Mercenaries is as despicable and repulsive to a civilized society as Slavery or Torture. In time I hope this practice will be outlawed as well.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
There are about 100 of them crawling around Tucson for some reason. I talked to one of them during a "Law Enforcement Meet-Up" (basically a street fair where all the local cops and local feds get together and show off their harleys and listen to sales pitches from Taser) where they had a Blackwater Booth set up. I talked to the guy while they were striking post, and when I asked him what they were doing here and he said they were on contract form Homelans Security, and when I asked what for he said, and I'm quoting here, "Your government hired us to do what they're not willing to."

Creeee-pyyyy.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Blackwater is not the largest such firm, nor are they unique. There is a market for their services, and they provide those services. You call them mercenaries; they would call themselves private security firms.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Jsobecky, I see you have no problem defending mercs when they are not in your hometown. I'd like to see them step up to your house and ask for your papers. I'm sure you'd be a little more weary about getting all over their nuts.

By your definition of Fuhrer, my comment sticks. Mercenaries work for whoever pays them, and Prince pays the rent. Hence, he is their "leader." Attacking me over the word I use doesn't take away from their despicable behavior in Iraq and elsewhere.

You can go on defending them all you want. Their deeds will be shown the light of day one day and they will be exposed as the wolves they are. Don't you worry.

Doesn't matter one bit if it's a blatant falsehood or not, does it?

Wasn't false actually. I stand by my wording. Go ahead, nit pick me some more.

Blackwater is not the largest such firm, nor are they unique. There is a market for their services, and they provide those services. You call them mercenaries; they would call themselves private security firms.

Quit true, kroll is much larger and little to nothing is known about them. I didn't forget about your buddy Cheney's halliburton mercs either.

There's a market for pretty much everything, death included. They seem to have that market squared away. I'm not going to get into that business anytime soon...

The definition of mercenary from Merriam-Webster:

one that serves merely for wages; especially : a soldier hired into foreign service

I'd say that fits right in with what they do.

Here's another article for those that care:
Blackwater: Mercenary by definition

Erik Prince, founder of the Blackwater mercenaries, has been a huge financial supporter of George W. Bush and the Republican Party. That might explain why Mister Bush's State Department worked with Prince's people to try and cover up the latest Blackwater slaughter of civilians in Iraq, and could be a big part of the reason why so many Republicans came to the chief mercenary's defense during Congressional hearings. His fondness for and belief in all things Republican probably answers too, Erik Prince's problem with honesty.

Blackwater's Mister Prince has a problem with people calling his mercenaries well ... err ... mercenaries. He appeared on CBS's "60 Minutes," a onetime news program-turned Blackwater infomercial, and said with a straight face, "You know the definition of a mercenary is a professional soldier that works in the pay of a foreign army. I’m an American working for America."

Nobody is denying Erik Prince's claim of being a United States citizen. But he wasn't being honest about his corporate mercenaries, nor was he being completely honest about the characteristics that define a mercenary. Mister Prince chose to emphasize only half of the mercenary equation. Still, even then, he was misleading.

Erik Prince's mercenaries make a great deal of money. They're paid much, much, much more than the average U.S. soldier. Though Prince chose to ignore it, a mercenary is also defined as someone who is, "motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain." Prince would probably insist that the people in his employ are motivated by a desire to serve the United States' interests, which he would further argue is Blackwater's singular goal in Iraq. As far as Iraq goes, such a claim may or may not be true? If it were true, everyone in Blackwater could have joined the U.S. military. But obviously "a desire for monetary or material gain" played a role in their choosing Blackwater over the Army and the Marine Corps.

One wonders too -- as it relates to his men being hired out to corporations -- how Erik Prince would defend his company against the mercenary charge? Is the person defending an oil company's platform in Africa doing it out of a desire to serve his or her country, or is he or she doing it because the money is so damned good?

Still, even by Prince's own definition, he and his employees are mercenaries. "You know the definition of a mercenary is a professional soldier that works in the pay of a foreign army," Erik Prince rationalized.

Certainly Mister Prince realizes that the United States military is a foreign force occupying Iraq. From the perspective of the few Iraqis who actually survive an encounter with Blackwater, Mister Prince and his hair-triggered maniacs are professional soldiers working in the pay of a foreign military ... the United States military.

The point, of course, is that no matter how Erik Prince tries to spin and lie; he and every Blackwater employee in Iraq is a mercenary

[edit on 3/28/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Think back to your American History, about how outraged the colonial revolutionaries were when they found out that Britain had the audacity to hire Hessian Mercenaries to fight against us. How do you think our Forefathers would feel knowing that we have resorted to using such despicable actions.

The use of Mercenaries is as despicable and repulsive to a civilized society as Slavery or Torture. In time I hope this practice will be outlawed as well.

Let's face it, American History is riddled with unforseen consequences as a result of pride and patriotism. Americans got totally demoralized, and really fowled up its collective consciousness with the Viet Nam War. Somebody should post the body count tally of every conflict America has ever engaged in. What happened to south Viet Nam? They all fled to Cambodia. Oh, that's right, Pol Pot was a dictator who tore apart families and made an army out of their children, handing them guns while the United States... oh, they didn't want to get involved, so I guess you can't add that to the tally because that doesn't count.

What about Mogadishu.. Black Hawk Down! It made a good Hollywood movie at the expense of A Few Good Men.. You Can't Handle The Truth!

America is by far.. nowhere near a righteous country that should be concerned about what their forefathers think.

Now there's Iraq, same turd, different pile.

Don't get upset with this post, please. I'm not looking for a flood of people looking to get a piece of me. Anyone who is worried about a militia of mercinaries, and a few hundred casualties is just a bit too sensitive.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by N1cotine

I agree that mercenaries are not a "necessary evil" in war, they are the operational elite.

I respectfully submit that refering to them all as "hired thugs" is simply respouting MSM rhetoric or plying your own personal agenda. Unless you have experienced first hand [on any side] their operation you can not have an eyewitness perspective.

I worked as a "military contractor" by whatever name you choose to apply and apologize for none of my 13 plus years in that capacity.

If you would like to investigate further:

topics.nytimes.com...
www.nydailynews.com...

Then ther is this "contractor which is larger, older and even more involved in worldwide operations:
www.kroll.com...
www.hoovers.com...

"contractors are also used extensively here:www.socom.mil...

and here:www.afsoc.af.mil...

I would be honored at any time to come out of retirement and assume an assignment once again.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Sorry - remove double post.

Vagaries of a DSL out in the Boonies.

[edit on 3/29/2008 by kerontehe]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I can’t believe that so many of you are against Blackwater Security and other so-called mercenaries.

Let me tell you what I think about Blackwater Security and New Orleans.

You want to say that Blackwater is despicable because they only support whoever pays the most. But guess what folks! It was hundreds of your New Orleans Police Officers who abandoned you to anarchy to save their own necks, not Blackwater Security.

It was the sworn in Police Officers of New Orleans who barged into people’s homes without warrants and violated the constitution of the United States of America to steal lawful citizens privately owned firearms. The order came from the Mayor and the police chief, not the officer in charge at Blackwater Security.

It was the Mayor of New Orleans who begged and pleaded for someone to step in do the job when his administration utterly failed the people. Blackwater answered the call before most of the states own National Guard troops were even preparing to get ready.

Blackwater Security did the job when your police officers abandoned you. Blackwater did the job when your city and state leaders threw their hands up in the air and began begging and pleading for someone to save their cities.

Blackwater did the job when the people of New Orleans had no one else to do it, and they did their job better than the police did, better than the National Guard did, and faster than the federal government could even hope to manage without them.

Blackwater is your friend people, not your enemy. I served in the Armed Forces and I’ve done private security work for a few years now and let me tell you what. I would take pride in working for Blackwater Security.

Did you answer the call to save New Orleans?
Did you bother to show up as an unpaid volunteer?

You bet your hypocritical butts that you didn’t! That’s because despite how high and mighty you talk on the forum, you wouldn’t leave your homes to help anyone at all, let alone for free.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by Hot_Wings]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Originally posted by biggie smalls
Jsobecky, I see you have no problem defending mercs when they are not in your hometown. I'd like to see them step up to your house and ask for your papers. I'm sure you'd be a little more weary about getting all over their nuts.

How do you know they are not in my hometown, biggie?

Quit true, kroll is much larger and little to nothing is known about them. I didn't forget about your buddy Cheney's halliburton mercs either.

"My buddy Cheney"? And you come down on me for nitpicking? This is the last time I'm offering a truce - gloves off after that.

There's a market for pretty much everything, death included. They seem to have that market squared away.

Doesn't it bother you to exaggerate? Seriously? It actually borders on bs lying.

The definition of mercenary from Merriam-Webster:

one that serves merely for wages; especially : a soldier hired into foreign service

I'd say that fits right in with what they do.

And you'd be wrong. They are not soldiers; they do not wear the uniform of any country, and they draw their paycheck from private corporations.

Here's another article for those that care:
Blackwater: Mercenary by definition

An article by a "progressive"? Please.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

biggie smalls, you're thinking "Treadstone" as the Bourne organization that he used to work for. I've got all three DVD's and watched them about five times apiece.

I just submitted a TinWiki submission for Greystone and used this thread here as a "Relevant Discussion Thread" as well as the Blackwater thread in My signature.

TinWiki - Greystone - ATS Wikipedia

Feel free to help flesh it out more with Me.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The ignorance in this thread is absolutely amazing.

1. Blackwater isn't a mercenary firm.

2. Blackwater has never been a merc firm.

3. Blackwaters role in New Orleans was that of protecting private property, as well as FEMA convoys.

Some of you would do yourselves a world of good by ignoring what leftist, agenda driven morons like Jeremy Scahill think.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Blackwater isn't all 'guns for hire'. They also have rescue people. Just look at their website. It's left-wing propaganda like this that is what will ultimately divide people and turn them against themselves.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Jeremy Scahill's investigative journalism has been remarkable. His book "Blackwater" is one of the most insightful books ever written on these shadow warriors.

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

Youre kidding right?

Scahill is a well known leftist jerkoff selling a book to promote his own personal agenda.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I just see them as out of service hardworking soldiers,that get better pay without having to worry about uncle same breathing down their neck.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join