It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "Fair Skeptic Registry" - failed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Hi,

Back in December 2006, "thelibra" suggested the creation of a "Fair Skeptic Registry" in this thread.

That suggestion included the following:

Originally posted by thelibra
What I propose is that skeptics, like myself, whom are willing to give UFO cases a fair go, examine the evidence, and present an unbiased finding, drop their card in this thread. We can police our own easily enough, and hopefully we can draw a definitive line between the automatic "nay-sayers and yes-men", and those whom would give UFO cases an honest hard look at the facts, and then present a lucid case as to why we arrived at our conclusions.

Then, if a UFOlogist honestly believes they have something genuine, they can U2U the people on this list a link to their thread and ask for their analysis. Or, I suppose, alternately, they could just post a link in this thread.

That suggestion gathered considerable interest at the time.

After quite a bit of discussion, further debate about the mechanics of the Registry was moved to a private forum.

I don't recall anything more emerging about it.

Did the idea fail? If so, is it possible to outline what happened? Was anything productive achieved behind the scenes which can now be shared?

I'm very interested in any attempt to improve the debate regarding UFOs. In fact, I'm currently writing in an article for submission to the ATS newsletter (about various infamous hoaxed UFO videos and "alien" photos) which contains a few ideas of my own about attempting to reduce the amount of nonsense written about UFOs.

For the purposes of that article, it would be very helpful to understand what happened to the "Fair Skeptic Registry" idea.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
One good idea would be for you to write a U2U to "the libra" with a link to this thread.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
One good idea would be for you to write a U2U to "the libra" with a link to this thread.

Good idea. Done.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Well, I tried that.

Anyone else involved in the "Fair Skeptic Registry" have any news or insight into whether it failed and, if so, why?

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
It failed because of personal "wars" inside the group.

I still think it was a good idea, but it's difficult to create a good team without a good leadership, and I think that was the problem.

As it was not a public forum I will not post what happened.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
It failed because of personal "wars" inside the group.

Thanks for taking the time to provide that general explanation.

As it was not a public forum I will not post what happened.

No problem. The general explanation is probably sufficient for me.

I'm not interested in some personal disputes in a private forum (after all, there are enough personal disputes on the public forums...) - I'm just trying to understand how far the idea got and whether lessons could be learnt from that experience.

All the best,

Isaac

new topics

top topics

join