It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ingredients for life found on strange Saturn moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Ingredients for life found on strange Saturn moon

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The basic ingredients for life -- warmth, water and organic chemicals -- are in place on Saturn's small moon Enceladus, scientists said on Wednesday in detailing the content of huge plumes erupting off its surface.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
All the key ingredients are present for the survival of single celled organisms. We could bring ones from earth to live there, so why couldn't native ones already be living there? Personally I think where ever the conditions for life exist, life exists.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Right on

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

All the key ingredients are present for the survival of single celled organisms.

Wow, I was expecting another "we found traces of the gas methane"..or something to that affect. But this is great news, how exciting

so why couldn't native ones already be living there? Personally I think where ever the conditions for life exist, life exists.

Those are my sentiments exactly. Chances are this moon has been around for millions upon millions. Can't wait to see what life might be there!

Speaking of which, when do we get to see that?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
It never fails to amaze me how little we know about what is in our galactic back yard. Cassini is in the area, wonder if they could bring her in for a looksie?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Personally I think where ever the conditions for life exist, life exists.

The problem is do ALL conditions favourable for life exist there? What about the temperature?

I'm also one of those who doesn't get excited about single cell organisms. It's impossible for "intelligent" life to exist there, so what's there to get excited about? The majority of us on this site (if not all of us) KNOW that life exists outside the Earth. We don't need proof. Who do we need to convince? Joe Public doesn't care whether we're alone in the universe or not.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
how do we know life didn't exist there before we existed here?? absolutely nothing about the universe that is being discovered today suprises me at all

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Lannock

The temperature was shown to be warm in certain areas. Some of the tougher single celled organisms on earth wouldn't have a problem living in those areas.

I really think if conclusive evidence of colonies of single celled organisms is presented it would change how we view life and existence. Well at least for many people it would.

[edit on 27/3/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
i always find it amazing that people find it so hard to think there could be other life out there! i mean if we exist why wouldn't there be? not to mention all the stories and evidence that have been gathered over the years! it's quite egotistical i think, by the way i wasn't responding to anyone in particular, just making a general statement, which no doubt someone will want to argue with me about! but never mind ey!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I have never forgotten a sci fi article written in Omni mag so many years ago. It was a scientists search for new life form. The crux of it was an amazing universe of new lifeform was propagating during the tests, but the scientist became frustrated and dumped it. Seeing a pebble of stuff at bottom of beaker the scientist berated the staff to sterilize the equipment better. I loved Omni, it was a great mag, right up there with my MAD mags, lol.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Do conditions for life include MacDonalds outlets ?
I'm not moving there if they only have Burger King.

Wouldn't Encladeus be in Saturn's shadow for some longish periods ?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
Do conditions for life include MacDonalds outlets ?
I'm not moving there if they only have Burger King.

new topics

top topics

join