It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS - A forum with a Mental Condition?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet
reply to post by cosmicstorm
surely you have noticed how these abductees are told they are chosen, becoming psychic, wise, in touch with nature, etc and are part of a plan of which will be revealed to them "when the time is right".

Imagine how all the cute little fluffy bunnies and other animals feel when us human rock up, bag them up, put them on a table, shine torches in their faces, take thier vlood and tag the little buggers and then we let them go on their merry ways.

Sometimes we even track them with radio waves.

We do it to animals and life forms we feel are a hundred times more insignificant to ours, why shouldn't some more advanced species do the same to us?

Do you think the cute fluffy bunnies have counseling sessions so they can over some their abductions too?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

I post this because I feel I must make a distinction between what this describes, and my personal experience.

First, and foremost, I spent many a year thinking that what evidence showed..was not REALLY what it showed. And then I thought I was the only one who quit denying the evidence as it lay before me. Coming here, I did not find others that would fawn over one another. I found people who valued the willingness to face the evidence. And it is evidence that is key, and many keep a hope alive that they are really delusional.

There are evaluations, fair examinations, on equal footing as long as the poster behaves civilly. This is no "delusional" group. We are a forum of those who, to one extent or another, have let go of our delusions. Not the other way around.

If you read my post i state "although this paper is primarily looking at the internet as a feature of delusions present in individuals it has some important comments on how the internet as technology can influence the state and strength of an individual presenting a delusion.......www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=344414....please read my post again and read the whole paper that is linked here....arginine.spc.org...

from Amaterasu
First, and foremost, I spent many a year thinking that what evidence showed..was not REALLY what it showed.

My post was in relation to the OP's observations here on ATS and his desire to discuss those observations. I also provided the relevant information which I thought supported some of those observations and the OP's expressed ideas and thought that I did this in a manner in which you yourself seem to advocate.....

from Amaterasu...There are evaluations, fair examinations, on equal footing as long as the poster behaves civilly.

from AmaterasuThis is no "delusional" group. We are a forum of those who, to one extent or another, have let go of our delusions. Not the other way around.

This thread is here to discuss this very issue. To suggest that I have made a generalisation supporting the belief that ATS is a delusional forum is an unfair evaluation that has missed the focus of my thread. I suggest you re-examine my thread. I believe that you are infering that I am labelling ATS delusional, i believe this borders on the uncivil. Here is a link to the Page again......read the first line of my thread, read the last line of my thread.www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=344414

p.s Astyana......nice post, love that story.....geez....that sound a little too familiar.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The OP has gone up over 800 in points... im sure that was his goal... Good job. This is symbolic to what happens in the rest of the world. You attack something that is just because your not jealous but your fearful or... maybe it is jealous and you weasle yourself in the middle and try to wedge something inbetween it and destroy it from within... all in the mean time you had reason to. An alterior motive... your motive was pretty much to go from 289 points to 10?? something now. I should have just taken the mods anwsers and left it at that. Here is my lesson learned... Sometimes you should leave trash as trash because when you try to clean it up sometimes you only make it worse and you doing this supports the trash by making it an even bigger mess. The other lesson is that there are users and abusers in this world and that you should watch very carefully into who you support because in the end they never really cared they just wanted to ruin something good. Thanks Op, I enjoy gaining knowledge... sadly though it was under these circumstances.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter
The OP has gone up over 800 in points... im sure that was his goal... Good job. This is symbolic to what happens in the rest of the world. You attack something that is just because your not jealous but your fearful or... maybe it is jealous and you weasle yourself in the middle and try to wedge something inbetween it and destroy it from within... all in the mean time you had reason to. An alterior motive... your motive was pretty much to go from 289 points to 10?? something now. I should have just taken the mods anwsers and left it at that. Here is my lesson learned... Sometimes you should leave trash as trash because when you try to clean it up sometimes you only make it worse and you doing this supports the trash by making it an even bigger mess. The other lesson is that there are users and abusers in this world and that you should watch very carefully into who you support because in the end they never really cared they just wanted to ruin something good. Thanks Op, I enjoy gaining knowledge... sadly though it was under these circumstances.

It appears your useless post has given the OP more points. How about adding some insight or presenting an arguement with a little more merit than claiming the OP is only after points. Atleast the OP has created a relevant thread that seeks to examine the prevelance of a certain type of post here on ATS. Alot of the threads and posts the OP is referring to gain alot of "points" and offer little more than heresay and unsubstantiated claims.....so in reality all they do is generate points. It seems you are pretty good at throwing trash around yourself as your post offers no valuable argument that "cleans up" the OP's views and observations, or mine for that matter.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I think that we don't have to be loyal to one side or another. We simply ask questions and formulate an educated guess as to what we think about something.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I know from personal experience that I have had experiences which I cannot explain, and that no psychological or medical professional I've ever been under the care of has ever atttributed to mental illness. With that said, in the interest of fairness, I feel compelled to point out these quotes from the opening post in this thread:

I hope the title didn't offend anybody, I felt this was important though.

All I ask is that you consider it.

I'm not trying to flame or debunk the board either by the way. I just thought it was worth considering. I myself find the comments about lights turning off while you go past, and 11:11 coming up a lot in that original thread disturbingly familiar.

Furthermore, the title of this thread is phrased as a question, and not as a statement of fact. I just made a post in the other thread which, while honest and straightforward from my perspective, might sound understandably loony to someone who hasn't had my experiences. I think it's incredibly important to avoid a defensive reaction to threads like this one, because they aren't difficult to understand in my opinion. If I hadn't had the experiences I've had, while I would maintain an open mind, I would still at least be considering the possibility of mental illness. I think that's all this thread was trying to convey.

At the end of the day, if we seek compassion and understanding from those who don't share our unusual experiences, shouldn't we offer tolerance and understanding to those who have differing perspectives as well? We don't have to agree with them, but we should carefully consider their intentions, and in this case I see no intent to offend or hurt anyone.

Granted, this is all just my opinion, and I wholeheartedly respect the views of those who disagree. That's what makes humanity, and this forum, great.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

More attacking... Thats all I see. I ask you this...

where has the OP been? I dont care about giving him points now the dirty deed is over all you can do is move forward.

I may have came across rude.. but I've noticed in life that unless you stand up for yourself... nobody will stand up for you unless they have a savior complex (oh wait more mental disorders.... durn...) You have made a lot of comments on his behalf i've noticed.. If you were to take time and read my posts mr atlas... I have noted that some of this could probably be due to mental disorder and in all actualtity... look at my post.. it is my post that I created that this OP has gotten his information from.
HERE

Sorry Op if this is off topic but I find what the above 2 are saying interesting and was wondering if you had the same thing happen.

I also have had that ringing in my ears its always going on so I just drown it out. Further research shows that tinnitus (the ringing in the ears) can be associated with low seratonin levels. If you research that a bit more it explains why most of us are a little paranoid as to why people are looking at us differently (where we think they are questioning us or whatever)

Maybe it is a gift... or maybe we are just anti social and accept it as a gift... regardless I know the people such as ourselves... we should use such talents to better ourselves and the world. Now I am sceptic as to this is probably a neurological disorder (neuro-transmitter deffieciency sp..?) But I do know that the caring for others that I have is something of the past that we once need again. Our love for the world and others makes this a maybe thought out neurological problem a gift... if its even the problem... I have no doubt that its related tho- Perhaps our bodies are somehow different and science explains it as some paranoia and possibly anxiety(anti socialness) or maybe our defficiency is the problem... like I said before now im sceptic but im not ashamed.

^^^^^^
He has turned my post into his thread. Perhaps its jealousy that im dissappointed in this guy for... but I do not feel these people are crazy. If you go look into other posts there are objects in Egpytian heiroglyphs that are of foreign objects similar to what People claim in UFO accounts... Determining their crediblity is another matter... However Even Christians.. Muslims. Beleive in God and Angels... If they decend down from heaven to earth... it means they have to cross space to get here... creating a gut feeling that there is something out in space... more people more beings... Then if you actually knew anything about creators... like those here on earth... they dont just stop at one creation...so why would a creator of humanity stop at Humans? If believing that makes you mental then perhaps the religions that = more then 50% in this world are all nuts then we surely do have no hope, because as far as humanity is concerned... i see it spiraling down hill if you think the negative people who want to disprove anything that works for the betterment of society are going to help out in this world you are mistaken... It is those people who create people that want to stand up for the good... and in the end you have created your own distruction (that is if you thrive off of negativity... that comment is a little bit dark but i liked it because it adds huge emphasis on my meaning... more mental stuff I think )

Keep in mind once more though that the geniouses throughout human history were considered to be delusional and mental at their time but yet they have provided you a way to connect to me and others virtually... so i hope that through my delusions that I can help you out so that one day you can see a better life for your children... I would do anything to help another person... from the sounds of it you wouldn't do a thing for me. So... another moot point i suppose.

EDITED TO ADD POST. My time mark was marked a day before the ops post. I hope if you even take the time to read you will understand my dissappointment

[edit on 27-3-2008 by rjmelter]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I dont think im special AT ALL!

I often even hate myself for being who i am, and thats particularly the fault of people like in this thread.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Duality-To be honest with you I didnt read any other post after the first half of the page,which even the mod got into your "bashing" of people on ANOTHER forum.Not only did you use one of my quotes w/o MY PERMISSION YOU TOTALLY DEMOGOUGED WHAT I SAID IN THE POST.Not only did you use one of my posts,you passivly included me by saying "after the first post I think everyone just added there own stuff to it",jumping on the bandwagon or whatever you really said.This post as almost made me lose ALL FAITH IN ATS AND WANT TO NOT BE A PART OF THIS SITE-SINCE A MOD(ONE IVE NEVER SEEN B4)JOINED IN ON THIS "BASHING"I find it hard to believe it is allowed to run a parallel post that "bashes"another GREAT POST.If you truly did your research you would have ALSO POSTED THE OTHER THINGS I SAID LIKE THIS:

so now I ask you what are we?Are we just insaine?
Not to mention more that I didnt feel like searching through,AND THE U2U'S I SENT TO THE OP THAT SHE CAN VERIFY STATING THAT SOME ON H=THE POST ARE PROBLLY SUFFERING FROM A MENTAL CONDITION-MAYBE.It is in my opinion that you are just trying to get points for a post,or are the one suffering from mental issues because of your UNPREVOKED ATTACK OF ANOTHER THREAD.IT IS MY SUGGESTION THAT YOU BE BANNED FROM ATS IMMEDIATLY FOR YOUR ACTIONS.As I am extremly upset and did not take time for a more "proper,point wanting post"I am anticipating your or your "followers(like the mod maybe????)response censoring me or moking my quick to respond post w/o EVERY fact of the other thread or yours.But I found it sicking to read any further of your thread and HAD TO POST THIS IMMEDIATE REPLY.For I strike quickly like the USA to unprovoked,inhumane acts of inhumility.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I have been given the illness of running into yet another one of your POINTLESS,INMATURE REPLIES OF A POST,if i say anything more I will prolly be banned.But for reference check out "ultraurgent signal of dragonian-andromean space war"(I know I misspelled)

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheNetherlands
I dont think im special AT ALL!

I often even hate myself for being who i am, and thats particularly the fault of people like in this thread.

Hmm i used a wrong term in here which i wanna set straight.

i actually meant the things some people say in this thread, not the people themselves. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan

Originally posted by Duality
What I'm getting at is, what we may call being highly intelligent or being 'awakened', others may call being paranoid and irrational. I don't feel that we are any better or should be any less susceptible to criticism and calls for evidence than anyone else just because we're alread communicating over an alternative medium.

I do find that discussing some of the topics on the boards here with people that are not members does raise a few eyebrows with people.

My boyfriend thinks I am nuts and outlandish for discussing certain topics, and that I am way out in left field for some of the ideas I have about things.

Does that mean I am ready for a straight jacket? Could be, but the truth is, where this is concerned, he finds me highly entertaining (what he calls nuts) and I do get him thinking. He does ask me not to bring certain subject up around, say, his relatives, though!

So, in my opinion, people who post here might be like me, and find this site a perfect place to discuss things that other people don't find normal.

Mod Edit: Quote formatting correction - Jak

[edit on 26/3/08 by JAK]

Thats the whole point.
I cant discuss what i think, feel or experienced with friends and family, because it hurts when people who ment a lot to me think im cray or insane.
Thats why i do it on here, with people like myself.

Tell me, are we insane, mental, or paranoid, to use duality's words, if we are interested in such topics?

Duality, for you it may be only interesting, but there is a difference between being interested in a conspiracy or actually experience things and doing research.

I find it unacceptable what you are trying to imply.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The more I look at it... The more it seems that it just doesnt matter.

CosmicStorm brought together a bunch of people who can relate.... I think through all of these threads here on ATS this is a rarity... for whatever reason it happened... Everyone from the youth forum lets drop this please.... When a rock is cast into a pond its goal is to be disruptive... not neccessaringly destructive because once you start a path you cant really end it... that energy is still there... So lets get back to our post

If you have any more questions refer to this

More attacking... Thats all I see. I ask you this...

where has the OP been? I dont care about giving him points now the dirty deed is over all you can do is move forward.

I may have came across rude.. but I've noticed in life that unless you stand up for yourself... nobody will stand up for you unless they have a savior complex (oh wait more mental disorders.... durn...) You have made a lot of comments on his behalf i've noticed.. If you were to take time and read my posts mr atlas... I have noted that some of this could probably be due to mental disorder and in all actualtity... look at my post.. it is my post that I created that this OP has gotten his information from.
HERE

Sorry Op if this is off topic but I find what the above 2 are saying interesting and was wondering if you had the same thing happen.

I also have had that ringing in my ears its always going on so I just drown it out. Further research shows that tinnitus (the ringing in the ears) can be associated with low seratonin levels. If you research that a bit more it explains why most of us are a little paranoid as to why people are looking at us differently (where we think they are questioning us or whatever)

Maybe it is a gift... or maybe we are just anti social and accept it as a gift... regardless I know the people such as ourselves... we should use such talents to better ourselves and the world. Now I am sceptic as to this is probably a neurological disorder (neuro-transmitter deffieciency sp..?) But I do know that the caring for others that I have is something of the past that we once need again. Our love for the world and others makes this a maybe thought out neurological problem a gift... if its even the problem... I have no doubt that its related tho- Perhaps our bodies are somehow different and science explains it as some paranoia and possibly anxiety(anti socialness) or maybe our defficiency is the problem... like I said before now im sceptic but im not ashamed.

^^^^^^
He has turned my post into his thread. Perhaps its jealousy that im dissappointed in this guy for... but I do not feel these people are crazy. If you go look into other posts there are objects in Egpytian heiroglyphs that are of foreign objects similar to what People claim in UFO accounts... Determining their crediblity is another matter... However Even Christians.. Muslims. Beleive in God and Angels... If they decend down from heaven to earth... it means they have to cross space to get here... creating a gut feeling that there is something out in space... more people more beings... Then if you actually knew anything about creators... like those here on earth... they dont just stop at one creation...so why would a creator of humanity stop at Humans? If believing that makes you mental then perhaps the religions that = more then 50% in this world are all nuts then we surely do have no hope, because as far as humanity is concerned... i see it spiraling down hill if you think the negative people who want to disprove anything that works for the betterment of society are going to help out in this world you are mistaken... It is those people who create people that want to stand up for the good... and in the end you have created your own distruction (that is if you thrive off of negativity... that comment is a little bit dark but i liked it because it adds huge emphasis on my meaning... more mental stuff I think )

Keep in mind once more though that the geniouses throughout human history were considered to be delusional and mental at their time but yet they have provided you a way to connect to me and others virtually... so i hope that through my delusions that I can help you out so that one day you can see a better life for your children... I would do anything to help another person... from the sounds of it you wouldn't do a thing for me. So... another moot point i suppose.

EDITED TO ADD POST. My time mark was marked a day before the ops post. I hope if you even take the time to read you will understand my dissappointment

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
My last post on this thread but, with your indulgence, I want to comment on why I feel compelled to ditch this thread:

There seems to be a debate in here that transcends the foreground topic. It's like a multi-layered thing that I can't precisely define. It's as if there is something personal going on here and I'm not sure I can get into it. No disrespect intended to anyone - plus the whole 'posting to get points' thing kinda throws me.

I thought the point was to post and create threads to participate in the process. Do all the points I see next to people's nicks represent 'status'? I have an aversion to that kind of community - points do not equate merit - so why use them?

Thanks - best top you all!

[edit on 27-3-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
Or maybe it is much more simple than that. Maybe everyone is 'special' in some way, but we have all been dumbed down by life/society/whatever.. that we fail to recognize our own greatnesses.

Not that I'm saying I buy everything I read here, heck I don't buy a lot of it. But I wouldn't go so far as to say everyone who thinks there is something unique or non mainstream as the rest of the world has something wrong with them. Maybe something else is wrong with the rest of the world

You have hit the nail on the head, my friend. I add that this was so visceral that I had to respond, and though it was a one-liner, out it came.

My pardon by the board I ask.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

Well, i read your rants and i think i get the drift of what you are saying.....check this out you might enjoy yourself. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
If you consider the ability to separate your opinions and thought processes from those of mainstream society a mental illness, then I guess so.

Though I'm guessing many of us have other issues that serve to isolate us from others, such as social anxiety, etc.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Think back to the people you've known in real-life. Those I've known have included an 83 year old ex-farmer, tough as nails. He recounted how he'd fallen down a well in his youth and found himself in a wonderful place from which he never wanted to return. When he returned to real-life, he learned he'd been in a coma for a long time and had several times been given up for dead. He swears he really did go to the 'wonderful place' .. that it was as real as anything he's known in his long life.

Knew an old woman who said the night before her husband died, he could see his deceased mother beside him. He talked and laughed to his long-dead mother. He wasn't on drugs, wasn't delusional. Yet, completely rational otherwise, he believed his mother was there. His widow witnessed all this and told me she believes, beyond any doubt, that his mother had returned to help her son to the life after this one. The widow was a very practical, capable woman. Always cheerful. In her late 70's, she decided to see the world and embarked on trips to the US, Greek Islands, Scotland, etc. etc. and coped far better than many travellers a quarter her age.

Another was a middle-aged man who earned his living attending to duties in the bush for 2 and 3 weeks at a stretch, living alone in a tent, dozens of miles from the nearest habitation. He did it for decades. The man was unimaginative, reliable, sober, responsible. Only once, in all those years, did he experience anything out of the ordinary ... an egg-shaped machine carrying small entities who investigated his camp-site while he observed them from the cover of trees. This was in the early to mid-60s, in an isolated rural region of solid, practical farming folk.

Now, if those three, all from an older generation, were to post in ATS about their experiences, would psychologists describe them as delusional, lonely, fabricators, etc.? For the truth though, we'd be wise to investigate other areas of their lives. And if we did, we'd discover that all three had worked for decades -- had run businesses and farms -- had raised families -- were grandparents -- had purchased and maintained homes -- were church members and members of various committees ... and during all those years hadn't given anyone cause to suspect them of delusion, fantasy, mental instability.

I doubt those three older people are familiar with terms such as Out of Body Experience, Paranormal, Extraterrestrial Lifeforms, etc.

They're just ordinary people, similar to dozens I've known who, at various times, have confided extraordinary experiences. Almost everyone I've known has had at least one 'unusual' experience. It hasn't defined them. 99% of the time, they're very ordinary .. some might even consider them boring. But if they anonymously posted about their experiences here in ATS, they might be judged 'crackpots' or 'attention seekers' by some.

At a guess, I'd say the majority who post here would also be considered extremely ordinary by those they know in real-life. They post here because it provides the opportunity to discuss the unusual with those who may have experienced something similar. Just as ex-servicemen attend get-togethers with other ex-servicemen, or new mothers discuss their babies etc. online with other new mothers. It's all about common-interests, shared anxieties, information-sharing. People have been communicating for a long time .. it's what people do.

Sure, there are some posters who get carried away with imagination and post what they might 'like' to have happen to them or even a variation of something they've seen on tv. Because they're lonely and their prospects are few or bore them, perhaps. They could be teenagers (or those with the mentality of teenagers) living in a dead-end town. Nothing to do. Home life depressing. They may be hopeless at sports. Too much time spent alone, focusing on themselves as teenagers are prone to doing. So they might see an interest in UFOs or the paranormal as an escape or even a future career. Maybe it provides them attention and respect that are missing in their real-life. And they post in ATS to liven up their lives a bit, perhaps. But most of them will move past their current preoccupations, get married, have children, become middle aged ... and end up very 'normal'. A few probably have issues and problems .. but that's life.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6

At a guess, I'd say the majority who post here would also be considered extremely ordinary by those they know in real-life. They post here because it provides the opportunity to discuss the unusual with those who may have experienced something similar. Just as ex-servicemen attend get-togethers with other ex-servicemen, or new mothers discuss their babies etc. online with other new mothers. It's all about common-interests, shared anxieties, information-sharing. People have been communicating for a long time .. it's what people do.

For whatever it's worth, I feel that this was an extremely insightful and empathetic post. I agree, and I'm willing to bet that such sentiments are appreciated. (They are by me.) Many people don't consider the sum total of people's life experiences when thinking about the specific experiences they choose to share here.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
i just want to point out that i like the way this and the other thread are being handled. while many agree that there is a chance that its mental (jokingly or not), most (if i am not mistaking) believe that it is not. this shows the maturity and open mindedness of the members involved.

edit: (didnt want to seem like im gloating)

p.s. (where has the OP been?)

[edit on 29-3-2008 by drflux]

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join