It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RELEASE: Advanced Boolean Search

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
ATS Boolean Search Wizard A new boolean search wizard is available for much more fine-tuned and advanced searches of the ATS post database. there are currently four fields you can use to create a boolean search. And don't worry, there are easy-to-use pull-down menus that help you define your search parameters. Keep in mind that this only functions on ATS, not BTS (for now). Also, a new feature enables you to view only the post that was found to match your search, in addition to the entire thread. [Edited on 17-3-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Excellent - time for Pisky to have a play with the new kit

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
And this is why we love our Overlord.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
And this is why we love our Overlord.

EXACTLY. It's times like these that make me proud to be an ATS/BTS member.

GREAT JOB, Skeptic! YOU DA MAN!

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
gbgm-umc.org..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Thank You, ALL HAIL S.O.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Thanks william for the better search.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
This is a great, and much needed , feature. Nice one

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Great news thanks
, that's one pain in the butt out of the way.

One other small gripe, us there any chance of changing the U2U rules from what it appears to be to me to be I every minute? Say you get three new U2U's, you reply to one then it only takes a few seconds to type the next reply yet you have to wait for about a minute, which I've got to admit annoys me.

Is there anyway of changing the rule to say no more than 3 a minute? That will still prevent spamming. Cheers.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The rule is currently 90 seconds, and we're looking at two things for the store: 1) Reducing u2u flood control limit. 2) Allowing you to build your own boolean queries for those who know how.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The rule is currently 90 seconds, and we're looking at two things for the store:

1) Reducing u2u flood control limit.
2) Allowing you to build your own boolean queries for those who know how.

sounds good to me.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Alright! Nice going! That was one of my pet peaves, and now it's new and improved! This makes me happy.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The rule is currently 90 seconds, and we're looking at two things for the store:

1) Reducing u2u flood control limit.
2) Allowing you to build your own boolean queries for those who know how.

I like both of the ideas but there should be a 3rd thing added for people who have no clue how to build a boolean querie. I like the idea of having to buy the use of smileys. It would be a weekly thing you buy.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The current boolean search tool is designed for people who don't know boolean operators and modifiers.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I know it is. What do you think of my idea of having to pay to use smielys in the ATS store?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
SkepticOverlord: I love your avatar!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
After some tweaks and adjustments, the Boolean search function is now the default method of searching ATS (not BTS yet) under the SEARCH link in the board menu above.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 03:48 AM
link   
did you know that when you click on "find posts" for a perticular member you get taken to the Boolean search page instead of a list of their posts.

sorted thank you

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by pantha]

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
sorry , it's nearly sorted , it works with the find posts button on a thread but not in members profile pages when you try to "Search for all posts by this user" at the bottom of the page

(edit) Also sorted , thank you

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by pantha]

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Someone, don't know who since they didn't leave a name, complained that the Boolean search is "confusing and clunky." We've tried to create pretty comprehensive instructions for the new Boolean search, which is certainly a new and more complex way to search for content on ATS. However, given the changes to the database, and better structure to the new searches, the resulting Boolean process is about 4x faster than the previous search method, even with very complex Boolean instructions. So, given the massive number of people on ATS, and the overall server load, it makes better sense to enforce the Boolean search as a default. If you have questions about how to use the new Boolean Search, post them here.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I like the new search and don't have any complaints. The speed improvement over the old method is impressive enough, but -unless it is my imagination- searching seems to have gotten even FASTER this week. Have you made more refinements?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join