It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Admins or Mods: Would you please encourage members of ATS to Add Tags?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I've always wondered, are commas required between words or phrases? (ex: 911, war on terror, osama)

Do phrases need to put into quotes? (ex: "war on terror", "osama bin laden")

How many tags is normal? 1, 3, 10?

I think the thread tag portion is not well specified....

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Choronzon

Yes, commas are required to separate words and phrases.

Quotation marks are not necessary.

This may help. (bolding mine)

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
[...
The general idea is to allow our members to define content (threads) with brief descriptions (tags) that accurately summarize the content.

It's a popular concept that lives and breaths on the basic ideas that users of content are the best people to help prospective new users find important content.

1) The tags will be placed into the page code for search engine optimization

2) A new thread-tag search engine will be launched that will likely provide better results on ATS content than our boolean search or Google

3) If you're reading a thread you like, you'll be able to click on the tags to find a list of other related threads as defined by the tagging

4) We'll be able to create automated-lists of threads that cover similar topics just by cross-referencing their tags

These are just a start. The implications are far reaching, and I'm sure we'll find other important uses.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I often add a tag to a thread just to find similar topics.

If I add "stealth" into the tag box I can click my own tag to search for all threads with that tag and bypass Google Search completely.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Ahhh.... ok, I get your meaning, now.

Well, like I said earlier put your suggestion in the aforementioned thread.

Who knows, what can happen after the Database tweak is done and we get 'Posts' button back.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Also, currently there doesn't seem to be any method for modifying or adding additional tags after the thread has been posted....

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Chad Andrew

when tags were new - tagging got you ATS points , as an encouragement to tag

but sadly - a few idiots who thought that having high points actually mean something embarked on a taging spree - just to harvest ATS points

IIRC the worst offender was tagging 1000 threads in a single hour - @ that speed he was not reading the thread or adding a meaningful tag - just a generic keyword or copying the tilte

predictably this did not go down well with the staff - so points for tags was dropped

top topics

<< 1   >>

join